Georgetown
24%
Marquette
22%

Total votes : 67

Re: Holy Land fan poll - who finishes in 3rd place

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:Seashells I've had this argument about our JUCOs before with Bill tried to explain its th rule they do well not the exception and he ignored me. So don't get your hopes up for changing his mind there but for funsies. Joe Fulce bust, Dwight Buycks NBA, DJO NBA, Crowder drafted 35th BE POY playing in the NBA, Jimmy Butler drafted 30th playing in the NBA. I'd say JUCOs doing well at MU is the rule not exception.

Sorry once again I didn't respond. Can you remind me of which thread it was in and I will.

To support your theory that it's the rule that they do succeed, you've only given Marquette examples. Do you have any more evidence than that? I'll be happy to change my mind in the face of evidence that refutes my opinion. As I said, it's just my impression over the years. Never did any real study of it, so it's not a strongly held opinion.

Well here's why I gave a Marquette example of people under buzz Williams. It's because we are in fact talking about a player going to Marquette playing for buzz Williams hence the relevant sample would be other JUCOs who went to Marquette and played for buzz Williams. Not saying that overall your opinion might not be correct as plenty of JUCOs go to low majors or other schools but from what's seen Buzz Williams is an excellent JUCO talent evaluator so it's the only relevant sample.

As far as the other thread I believe it was the top 144 thread. It was the one where you said the disagreement was like guys standing around the water cooler talking sports.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:36 pm

CBS experts way in with their opinions:http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23932001/college-basketball-preview-conference-predictions
Unanimously choose Marquette to win
Creighton and Georgetown with 2 votes each for second and a vote for Nova and a Vote For St. Johns
Split between Creighton and Georgetown for 3rd with 3 votes each.

So far they seem pretty close to what we have except the switch Xavier and Providence.
hoyahooligan

Postby Daffron24 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:49 pm

I think our polls so far will come pretty close to what everyone finished this year. I think the middle tier teams could be better or worse than we voted having the talent that they have, particularly Providence. They have a very solid team and they are on the up and up. I actually think Georgetown will get 4th this year. They lost Otto Porter who in my opinion is bigger then Marquette losing Vander. I can't really speak on Creighton since I haven't watched many of their games and obviously the competition is a step up for them. Should be an interesting year.
"It's just the truth, we can't shoot"
Daffron24

Postby JayPak » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:CBS experts way in with their opinions:http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23932001/college-basketball-preview-conference-predictions
Creighton and Georgetown with 2 votes each for second and a vote for Nova and a Vote For St. Johns

So far they seem pretty close to what we have except the switch Xavier and Providence.

Wow! Jon Rothstein sure differs from his peers in ranking Villanova higher (2nd) and Creighton much lower (7th) than everyone else.
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined." Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak

Postby dmac80 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:CBS experts way in with their opinions:http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23932001/college-basketball-preview-conference-predictions

Cool link. Look at how lockstep they are on the Big Ten and the Big Twelve.

As for the BE, Creighton has to prove to me they can be at or near the very top, this isn't the MVC conference.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby aughnanure » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 pm

JayPak wrote:

Wow! Jon Rothstein sure differs from his peers in ranking Villanova higher (2nd) and Creighton much lower (7th) than everyone else.

IMO one of two things happens this year with Creighton (and generally the newbies). Either having played none of the teams in recent years will be an advantage in scouting and scheming as the C7 won't have much any experience playing your style (they've never seen you, so you can surprise them) or playing a tougher, grinding schedule will wear Creighton down over time and they finish 4-6. 7 is too low to me.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:18 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:Seashells I've had this argument about our JUCOs before with Bill tried to explain its th rule they do well not the exception and he ignored me. So don't get your hopes up for changing his mind there but for funsies. Joe Fulce bust, Dwight Buycks NBA, DJO NBA, Crowder drafted 35th BE POY playing in the NBA, Jimmy Butler drafted 30th playing in the NBA. I'd say JUCOs doing well at MU is the rule not exception.

Sorry once again I didn't respond. Can you remind me of which thread it was in and I will.

To support your theory that it's the rule that they do succeed, you've only given Marquette examples. Do you have any more evidence than that? I'll be happy to change my mind in the face of evidence that refutes my opinion. As I said, it's just my impression over the years. Never did any real study of it, so it's not a strongly held opinion.

Well here's why I gave a Marquette example of people under buzz Williams. It's because we are in fact talking about a player going to Marquette playing for buzz Williams hence the relevant sample would be other JUCOs who went to Marquette and played for buzz Williams. Not saying that overall your opinion might not be correct as plenty of JUCOs go to low majors or other schools but from what's seen Buzz Williams is an excellent JUCO talent evaluator so it's the only relevant sample.

As far as the other thread I believe it was the top 144 thread. It was the one where you said the disagreement was like guys standing around the water cooler talking sports.

Thanks. I'll pick up on it over there. :)
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:26 pm

aughnanure wrote:
JayPak wrote:

IMO one of two things happens this year with Creighton (and generally the newbies). Either having played none of the teams in recent years will be an advantage in scouting and scheming as the C7 won't have much any experience playing your style (they've never seen you, so you can surprise them) or playing a tougher, grinding schedule will wear Creighton down over time and they finish 4-6. 7 is too low to me.

Just being annoying here, but Butler and X have each most certainly played at least one C7 team twice in recent years.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:18 pm

aughnanure wrote:
JayPak wrote:

I don't see how your first thing could possibly an advantage for Creighton. If no one has ever seen Creighton play then Creighton has never seen any of them play either. So while the original BE teams will not have seen 1 team Creighton will not have seen 7 teams. If anything this is another reason why Crieghton is likely to struggle. Georgetown is used to playing the 6 other returning teams and only has to prepare for 3 new teams while Creighton has to prepare for 9 new teams they've never seen before.
hoyahooligan

Postby Dew » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm

In the last vote Creighton got 50% of the votes. Not sure why this is even close.
Dew

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board