Delaney: Not our job "to be minor leagues"

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Delaney: Not our job "to be minor leagues"

Postby Fake Father Lannon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:46 pm

For everyone asking why the NBA can't just start recruiting HS kids its because they decided they didn't want them. In the 2006 CBA the union and the owner's changed the rule to the High School +1 model that exists now. However, this doesn't stop a kid from playing with the D-Leauge and there was even a recent case of this. Point being, even with the option to play in the D-Leauge or play overseas, most players choose to play a year or more in college.
Fake Father Lannon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 pm

marquette wrote:There's really only 1 way for football players to make a living playing football, the NFL. You could say the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League are also viable options, but are you really going to be able to retire off of what you make? As to a minor league with an age limit, yeah it's possible. I just don't see anyone wanting to pay for it. The NFL already has it in college ball, so they have no motivation to set it up. I also doubt the athletes would get much for compensation. Minor league players generally get somewhere in $30-40,000/year, if I'm not mistaken. The fanfare of minor leagues that aren't associated with colleges is also minimal. Is that worth the injuries and permanent damage to your brain/body? These kids are already getting more than that from the schools in terms of room/board even without the free education. They are also getting the opportunity to move on after 4 years degree in hand and a potential career on the horizon. That seems much more reasonable to me than hitting age 22, the minor league says "you can't play any more, you're too old" and the NFL says "you're not good enough to play here." So they limp on, bad knees/ankles etc. into a life without any means of ever earning more than what they had 4 years ago.

NBA can do what they want, basketball is much less physical than football.

Just saying there is a minor league being set up. Supposed to launch this coming spring. Using the very familiar title USFL. http://theusfl.com/about/
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Keeping talent from going straight from HS to the NBA is good for the NCAA. Better yet would require a graduation before a player could move on.

For an individual, however, denying an adult the right to work is unethical and it should be illegal. I think in time it will be proven to be so. So an 18 year old can go to war for our country and be deployed in combat, but is not mature enough for the NBA or to earn an NBA salary?

Of course the NCAA will work in its self interest. But it is wrong.

If anyone is really worried about the maturity issue, let them draft and pay an 18 year old that is ready to move straight to the draft, and keep him on the practice squad for a year.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby Bulldog_Muskie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Dave wrote:Keeping talent from going straight from HS to the NBA is good for the NCAA. Better yet would require a graduation before a player could move on.

For an individual, however, denying an adult the right to work is unethical and it should be illegal. I think in time it will be proven to be so. So an 18 year old can go to war for our country and be deployed in combat, but is not mature enough for the NBA or to earn an NBA salary?

Of course the NCAA will work in its self interest. But it is wrong.

If anyone is really worried about the maturity issue, let them draft and pay an 18 year old that is ready to move straight to the draft, and keep him on the practice squad for a year.

I don't buy that letting hs kids get drafted would really cause that much trouble to the NCAA. College basketball was still popular when the NBA recruited high school. I'd say it would be better for the ncaa just because it would at least remove part of the argument that bball players are "forced into servitude" for a year because they can't get paid.
Butler University '13
Xavier University '15
Bulldog_Muskie

Postby Bulldawg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:54 pm

I feel strongly that high school players should be allowed to skip college for the pros. It has become very well known about the policy of "One and Dones" and I think its hurting the game long term. Schools are no longer recruiting players based off what they see 4 years from now, but one or two years instead.
I think if you let players like Lebron, and Kobe go pro it can benefit the college game in a large way. I would not recommend players doing this, but if they have a shot as a professional player (Wiggins, Parker, ect.) they should be allowed to do as they wish.

Now, I believe that if a player goes to college they should be required to play for 3 seasons, that way they can get somewhat of a degree, and develop their game. Players would be much more ready for the pros and would develop a stronger skill-set for the college game.

As for being minor leagues, that is pretty much what it has come down to, since essentially colleges are developing talent for the pros for a very short amount of time. Its no longer about playing well for your school, its about playing well to impress NBA Scouts.
Butler Basketball baby!
Bulldawg

Postby XtoDC » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I just get so annoyed with everyone acting like it is the NCAA's rule that a kid has to come for a year and directing all their venom there. It is an NBA rule! The owners and GMs were making too many mistakes drafting young kids who didn't do anything relevant in the league for a couple of years, if ever. It was watering down the league. The NBA knew that if one of these high 5 star kids came out in the draft they would get selected based on athleticism alone. So they changed the rule to stash those guys in college for a year to let them develop, get some real coaching, and play against higher levels of competition.

If everyone hates the rule so much saying that these kids get taken advantage of, then you are an awfully spoiled person. Kids can always go to the NBDL or overseas if they have the talent and don't want to be in school. Instead, they CHOOSE to attend a college. You know why? Colleges have great coaches, who can develop their talent. They have strength coaches, who can help them improve their bodies. They have access to incredible facilities that the minor leagues envy. They can be adored by thousands of screaming fans every game instead of playing in anonymity somewhere. The competition level is so much higher in college. And worst case scenario, they don't develop (or get injured) like everyone thinks they still they can still get 4 years of a world class education with all of their necessities paid for. Sign me up to be taken advantage of like that.
XtoDC

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:30 pm

XtoDC wrote:I just get so annoyed with everyone acting like it is the NCAA's rule that a kid has to come for a year and directing all their venom there. It is an NBA rule! The owners and GMs were making too many mistakes drafting young kids who didn't do anything relevant in the league for a couple of years, if ever. It was watering down the league. The NBA knew that if one of these high 5 star kids came out in the draft they would get selected based on athleticism alone. So they changed the rule to stash those guys in college for a year to let them develop, get some real coaching, and play against higher levels of competition.

If everyone hates the rule so much saying that these kids get taken advantage of, then you are an awfully spoiled person. Kids can always go to the NBDL or overseas if they have the talent and don't want to be in school. Instead, they CHOOSE to attend a college. You know why? Colleges have great coaches, who can develop their talent. They have strength coaches, who can help them improve their bodies. They have access to incredible facilities that the minor leagues envy. They can be adored by thousands of screaming fans every game instead of playing in anonymity somewhere. The competition level is so much higher in college. And worst case scenario, they don't develop (or get injured) like everyone thinks they still they can still get 4 years of a world class education with all of their necessities paid for. Sign me up to be taken advantage of like that.

I think most of us assume, right or wrong, that the NCAA and the NBA are in collusion on the rule. NBDL is not a good choice as there is no (little) money and still the risk of injury.

Just not right to deny an adult the fair right to work and get equally compensated for his skills.
Go Nova
Dave

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board