Who's your school's best local beat writer?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who's your school's best local beat writer?

Postby TheHall » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 am

jayball wrote:Steve Pivovar from the Omaha World Herald is our beat writer and does a good job. He's not a fan or hype guy but he knows what is going on at CU and is a solid writer.

First I want to say I do appreciate the suggestions provided to help get the low down on our conference mates. So, I followed the your advice and decided to check Pivovar's newest Bluejay chat. I figured given the long awaited start of a new era for Creighton in the BE & the signing of LG3 I would get some upbeat interactions between Pivovar & the fans...I was wrong. Fans were great, dude was horrible. Maybe it was a bad week, but this is one of the biggest weeks in Creighton bball history & he seemed to be totally oblivious to that fact!

This is just a sample:

Comment From Ictjays Bro:
Gilmore was a huge commit. Watched several video's against good competition and its been awhile since I've seen a player of that magnitude coming to CU. Coaches feel optimistic others will follow?

Steven Pivovar:
They're hopeful, they're working hard, but optimistic? Wouldn't say that.

Much better to be optimistic than hopeful SP. Were you not surprised on the Gilmore verbal? Most were. To me that is a good sign. Basketball school in a big conference. Are you optimistic? What do you think?

Steven Pivovar:

I thought in talking with the coaches that CU had a better than 50-50 chance of getting Gilmore. He liked his visit here. I tend not to lose much sleep over the recruiting process. You have a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds making decisions based on the things that are important to 17 and 18 year olds.

Comment From David:
Any road trips you are particularly looking forward to? A visit to Hinkle will be pretty cool!

Steven Pivovar:
One of my life's ambitions has been to go to Rhode Island, so I guess Providence must be the one that's highest on my list. Frankly, looking to the St. Joe's trip because my wife is accompanying me on that one.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130927/BLUEJAYS/130928978

Really, a cbb beat writer for a BE team that's not interested in recruiting?!? His biggest interest in road tripping this year isn't even to a BE team but to St. Joe's.....St. Joe's? Not trying to disrespect a person that is likely a local icon, but his reporting sounded like classic mid-major reporting (border-line hs reporting) to me. Pivovar sounds like he really wishes that he was still covering the MVC, which I don't blame him for at all but c'mon man those days are over for the Bluejays. This ain't the Durham Bulls anymore- Bradley, Drake & Evansville are not walking through "that" door. But if Creighton fans are good with Steven more power to you, however, I don't think I'll be checking him out anymore.
TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:50 am

TheHall wrote:
jayball wrote:Steve Pivovar from the Omaha World Herald is our beat writer and does a good job. He's not a fan or hype guy but he knows what is going on at CU and is a solid writer.

First I want to say I do appreciate the suggestions provided to help get the low down on our conference mates. So, I followed the your advice and decided to check Pivovar's newest Bluejay chat. I figured given the long awaited start of a new era for Creighton in the BE & the signing of LG3 I would get some upbeat interactions between Pivovar & the fans...I was wrong. Fans were great, dude was horrible. Maybe it was a bad week, but this is one of the biggest weeks in Creighton bball history & he seemed to be totally oblivious to that fact!

This is just a sample:

Gilmore was a huge commit. Watched several video's against good competition and its been awhile since I've seen a player of that magnitude coming to CU. Coaches feel optimistic others will follow?

Steven Pivovar:
They're hopeful, they're working hard, but optimistic? Wouldn't say that.

Much better to be optimistic than hopeful SP. Were you not surprised on the Gilmore verbal? Most were. To me that is a good sign. Basketball school in a big conference. Are you optimistic? What do you think?

Steven Pivovar:

I thought in talking with the coaches that CU had a better than 50-50 chance of getting Gilmore. He liked his visit here. I tend not to lose much sleep over the recruiting process. You have a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds making decisions based on the things that are important to 17 and 18 year olds.

Comment From David:
Any road trips you are particularly looking forward to? A visit to Hinkle will be pretty cool!

Steven Pivovar:
One of my life's ambitions has been to go to Rhode Island, so I guess Providence must be the one that's highest on my list. Frankly, looking to the St. Joe's trip because my wife is accompanying me on that one.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130927/BLUEJAYS/130928978

Really, a cbb beat writer for a BE team that's not interested in recruiting?!? His biggest interest in road tripping this year isn't even to a BE team but to St. Joe's.....St. Joe's? Not trying to disrespect a person that is likely a local icon, but his reporting sounded like classic mid-major reporting (border-line hs reporting) to me. Pivovar sounds like he really wishes that he was still covering the MVC, which I don't blame him for at all but c'mon man those days are over for the Bluejays. This ain't the Durham Bulls anymore- Bradley, Drake & Evansville are not walking through "that" door. But if Creighton fans are good with Steven more power to you, however, I don't think I'll be checking him out anymore.

Piv is a good writer, covers the jays well (except recruiting). One thing about him though, he makes it clear he is not a writer who is a "fan" as well. He covers Creighton but you won't see any Creighton homerism in his writing so when he doesn't appear excited about things, don't be surprised, it's more of a job to him.
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:36 am

Creighton's beat writer is an old slug unwilling to embrace the 21st century of information distribution. He mopes about travel and missing his old hotels and hangouts in the Valley for example. I was hoping that he'd retire and let a younger, newer voice cover Creighton in the Big East but he's hanging onto a paycheck and that's about it.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Fake Father Lannon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Personally I love Dirk Chatelain. Really great writer /sarcasm
Fake Father Lannon

Postby OutlawWales » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 am

For Creighton coverage, go with White & Blue Review and nothing else. There is not a single person at the local paper that is worth a damn, frankly. Pivovar DOES have some access and does have some knowledge, but he basically seems to hate actually having to cover the Jays. It's not about a lack of "homerism" -- it's very apparent latent disdain.

Let's put it this way -- Creighton in physically located less than 1 mile from the offices of the local newspaper. When events are going on at Creighton, including soccer, volleyball, etc., with nationally ranked programs, that staff would rather not send anybody over to watch or cover and wait for other updates to base stories on.

And, as mentioned, if you happen to have Creighton's Rivals page bookmarked or anything, just hit the delete button. There is absolutely nothing worth reading there, and the person running it lives in New England -- yes, New England. He's despised by every single person in the program, and 90 percent of the fanbase, but still thinks he's relevant and has information worth charging people for. Usually his "information" amounts to "I just heard something, but they don't want me to share it yet. Hang on." And then when it breaks elsewhere, he comes on and says, "yeah, that's what I knew too!"

White & Blue Review. Period. That's all the coverage anyone needs.
OutlawWales

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board