Who's your school's best local beat writer?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby TheHall » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:05 pm

One way I've been getting familiar with our new conference members is by checking out their local coverage, especially in terms of recruiting & team coverage. But as an outsider to these new markets I always wonder am I going to decent local sources or not. I figured I wasn't the only one interested in hearing from those who would know best, thx.

For SHU I would highly recommend the AP's Jerry Carino of HoopsHaven.com & blogger Chris McManus of SouthOrangeJuice.com.
TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who's your school's best local beat writer?

Postby Chalmers0 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Rick Broering of Scout is by far the best for X coverage, IMO. He can be followed at @RickBroering or @MusketeerReport for strictly X hoops coverage.

Shannon Russell does a decent job for the Enquirer as well and covers more than just men's hoops. She can be followed at @slrussell
Chalmers0

Postby jayball » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Steve Pivovar from the Omaha World Herald is our beat writer and does a good job. He's not a fan or hype guy but he knows what is going on at CU and is a solid writer.

Most other local sportswriters are Cornhuskerheads that wear football jerseys to church. They don't understand or want to acknowledge that Creighton plays Division 1 sports pretty well.

Best online resource is White and Blue Review. Those guys kill it with coverage for all sports. They breakdown everything. The do highlight clips. They do historical research. They rule the world.
http://whiteandbluereview.com/

We have one outlet that is a complete d-bag. Matt Perrault at the Creighton Rivals site lives in New Hampshire and sucks as a person. It is too long of a story, but most CU faithful wish he would find another hobby that pretending to run a CU website.
jayball

Postby mel ott » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:13 pm

jayball wrote:Steve Pivovar from the Omaha World Herald is our beat writer and does a good job. He's not a fan or hype guy but he knows what is going on at CU and is a solid writer.

Most other local sportswriters are Cornhuskerheads that wear football jerseys to church. They don't understand or want to acknowledge that Creighton plays Division 1 sports pretty well.

Best online resource is White and Blue Review. Those guys kill it with coverage for all sports. They breakdown everything. The do highlight clips. They do historical research. They rule the world.
http://whiteandbluereview.com/

We have one outlet that is a complete d-bag. Matt Perrault at the Creighton Rivals site lives in New Hampshire and sucks as a person. It is too long of a story, but most CU faithful wish he would find another hobby that pretending to run a CU website.

Right on the money- on all accounts.
mel ott

Postby gmoser1210 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Butler's best beat writer is David Woods, who literally wrote the book(s) on Butler basketball. Unfortunately, the Indianapolis Star moved him to IU Football and gave Butler some kid named Zac Keefer who doesn't understand what a blog is. He keeps regurgitating news articles in the blog and offers zero insight or analysis.
Butler Bulldogs
'62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13, '15, '16, '17, '18
'33, '34, '47, '52, '53, '59, '61, 62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11
gmoser1210

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:16 pm

gmoser1210 wrote:Butler's best beat writer is David Woods, who literally wrote the book(s) on Butler basketball. Unfortunately, the Indianapolis Star moved him to IU Football and gave Butler some kid named Zac Keefer who doesn't understand what a blog is. He keeps regurgitating news articles in the blog and offers zero insight or analysis.

Moved from Butler basketball to IU football? Man, what did he do, sleep with the publisher's wife? :D
Wizard of Westroads

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Lenn Robbins and Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post do good job for St. John's.
redmen9194

Postby Friarfan2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Kevin McNamara from the Providence Journal. Been around forever, one of the best Big East scribes out there (along with Hoops Weiss of the NY Daily News and Lenn Robbins of the NY Post, although I think Hoops might be hanging them up)
Friarfan2

Postby Bulldog_Muskie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm

gmoser1210 wrote:Butler's best beat writer is David Woods, who literally wrote the book(s) on Butler basketball. Unfortunately, the Indianapolis Star moved him to IU Football and gave Butler some kid named Zac Keefer who doesn't understand what a blog is. He keeps regurgitating news articles in the blog and offers zero insight or analysis.

Yeah I hope Zac picks it up once the season starts but Woods was the best! I still follow him on twitter because he occasionally has some Butler news. Both are worth checking out
Butler University '13
Xavier University '15
Bulldog_Muskie

Postby wildjays » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:06 am

Earlier this summer when the new Big East launched, I put together a Big East must follow list based on a lot of people's suggestions and people I found on my own. I have been trying to update it since then. See what you think and see what I am missing.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/?p=24888
wildjays

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board