ESPN's Katz says Creighton a "wise choice"

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Dew » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 am

From Andy Katz:
There is a definitely a push in one key corner of the seven to add Creighton because of the Bluejays passion for hoops, their facilities and following. I continue to hear conflicting opinions about whether or not distance matters in this new league. What isn't negotiable is the 7 want/need the schools to be all in for basketball. If that's the case then considering Gonzaga isn't out. This league has to be smart about its moves, and if Creighton is in the mix it would be a wise choice.

Interesting sentiment. Lets get Creighton and Gonzaga both.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN's Katz says Creighton a "wise choice"

Postby SixTwentySix » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 am

I'm willing to bet Marquette is pushing for Creighton and I think it would be a great move. I would really love to see Gonzaga added, but I think its very unlikely considering their location. All I can do is cross my fingers.

If Gonzaga is added some how, I wouldn't be shocked to see this new conference eventually end up at 14 teams.
SixTwentySix

Postby yorost » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am

I would not be surprised if it was Marquette, either. Creighton's president is on Marquette's board of trustees and during my time there I had the impression that many viewed Creighton as a very similar school. ...moreso than other Jesuit institutions. That could just be a consequence of my own connections and not a broad opinion, I have no idea. I know that it influences me to hope Creighton is invited.

How much clout does Marquette have in this group, anyways? It was never clear to me if other schools were happy with Marquette in the Big East or just didn't care so long as they maintained basketball. Are they a draw on other teams' floors?

OT: Being a Marquette alumnus makes me want Butler, too. Seeing them as a chief foe against some good Milwaukee teams made them a very strong brand in the city.
Last edited by yorost on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
yorost

Postby Bostonspider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:26 am

Creighton seems a great choice, but also seems very far away for all your olympic sports. If both Butler and Xavier are added, I would think the 5 east coast teams would rather favor another east coast team to keep their travel costs in check as much as possible.
Bostonspider

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 am

Creighton can't be added without St Louis. And it doesnt really seem like St Louis is all that desired. Given the initial bias towards 10 teams and given they don't require a pair, I think it will be Richmond joining Butler and Xavier
Edrick

Postby yorost » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am

Edrick wrote:Creighton can't be added without St Louis. And it doesnt really seem like St Louis is all that desired. Given the initial bias towards 10 teams and given they don't require a pair, I think it will be Richmond joining Butler and Xavier

It does seem more reasonable to add one of the Richmond schools, but if they decide they want Creighton in a 10 team conference I'm all for it. Not holding my breath.
yorost

Postby Dew » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

yorost wrote:
Edrick wrote:Creighton can't be added without St Louis. And it doesnt really seem like St Louis is all that desired. Given the initial bias towards 10 teams and given they don't require a pair, I think it will be Richmond joining Butler and Xavier

It does seem more reasonable to add one of the Richmond schools, but if they decide they want Creighton in a 10 team conference I'm all for it. Not holding my breath.

Honest question to the VCU / Richmond folks- is Richmond U "all in" on basketball as Katz says the C7 is looking for? Their attendance figures would lead me to think they are not.
Dew

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Richmond has a 2 million dollar endowment. They basically become the UVA of the C7+....rich, academic, with enough success to make sense (S16 two years ago, for example)
Edrick

Postby SixTwentySix » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Edrick wrote:Richmond has a 2 million dollar endowment. They basically become the UVA of the C7+....rich, academic, with enough success to make sense (S16 two years ago, for example)

*billion*
SixTwentySix

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Dew wrote:
yorost wrote:

Honest question to the VCU / Richmond folks- is Richmond U "all in" on basketball as Katz says the C7 is looking for? Their attendance figures would lead me to think they are not.

The answer to your question is "no", Richmond is not all in right now but the ceiling is pretty high. Hard to imagine that attendance wouldn't increase with C7 opponents on the schedule for example.
ArmyVet

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board