XU DAYTON RIVALRY

The home for Big East hoops

Re: XU DAYTON RIVALRY

Postby RoadWarrior » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 pm

GibsoniaPA wrote:X fans, I appreciate that your in the BE, and well deserved. But Dayton has played you very competitively for many years, and have held their own most years. Rather than slam their program, just admit that you guys have finally distanced yourself from Dayton and you are not about to throw them a lifeline to compete any further with you. I can at least respect that honesty.... their only 45 minutes away from you, have as strong of following in their town as any program in the country, graduate their players and recruit many of the same players as X.

If you're looking for a close rivalry, why not Wright State? Comparable programs, 15 minutes apart and an up and coming coach.
RoadWarrior

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ElDonBDon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:03 am

If you go over to the MU boards nobody, and I mean nobody, likes Dayton. Actually, there seems to be a strong, um, well, I'll say dislike of Dayton.

I will say that I respect the hell out of their loyalty though.

However, despite the loyalty of their fans, I don't like Dayton. Nothing personal but it's a very small market already very close to two Big East programs (X and Butler) and thus does not help us on the media side or bringing in new recruits. Plus, they are the paragon mid-major program. If mid-major had a head it would be the UCF knight, with the UD logo as its body.

For X, if Dayton boosts your RPI or helps fill more seats (as opposed to some other cupcake), then add them. If Dayton doesn't help in either of these areas, then I think it's prudent to drop them.
ElDonBDon

Postby Xudash » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:16 am

As has already been mentioned, UD hasn't won a game in Cincinnati since Jimmy Carter was President.

Since joining the A10, Xavier holds something like a 27-12 lead in the series; any UD fan who rambles on about the overall series probably should otherwise just pipe down.

When Xavier goes to UD Arena, we are their Super Bowl.

So, let the game continue as an out-of-conference rivalry when it makes sense to put it back together; home-and-home would be fine with me. Beyond that, UD does not have the resume for receiving an invitation from the Big East, and the Big East doesn't need another school in Ohio, especially a mid-major that lacks a strong track record.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:45 pm

X fans, play your little brothers. It is a good local rivalry. Let's not over state the "major" of the nBE, or the "mid" of the A-10.

It's a nice new conference, but this isn't the old Big East. As much as we welcome X, Butler, and the Jays, you are replacing Cuse, UConn, and Louisville.

The "no room on the schedule" is at best a dishonest excuse with a facade of politeness. We all know the reality is "We feel like we just stepped above the level of Dayton, we don't like them, a win won't help us much and a loss will hurt us, playing on their floor is one of their big games of the year so they will be up for every meeting, and we therefore we want to duck them". Dayton is calling you out. At least offer them a 2 for 1. Let them be the ones to turn down the series if they don't want it. from an outside observer...
Go Nova
Dave

Postby XBand15 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Dave wrote:The "no room on the schedule" is at best a dishonest excuse with a facade of politeness. We all know the reality is "We feel like we just stepped above the level of Dayton, we don't like them, a win won't help us much and a loss will hurt us, playing on their floor is one of their big games of the year so they will be up for every meeting, and we therefore we want to duck them". Dayton is calling you out. At least offer them a 2 for 1. Let them be the ones to turn down the series if they don't want it. from an outside observer...

Dayton can whine and moan and call us out all they want. The point of the matter is that it does us ZERO good to play them anymore. They are just angry because the only meaningful rivalry game they play all year long just got taken away from them. I understand why they would be upset but it is up to Dayton to move on from this. Find a new rival, find another game to get your fans excited about. But at the end of the day, until Dayton puts there program in a place where playing them would be beneficial to X, it ain't gonna happen.
XBand15

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:49 pm

XBand15 wrote:
Dave wrote:The "no room on the schedule" is at best a dishonest excuse with a facade of politeness. We all know the reality is "We feel like we just stepped above the level of Dayton, we don't like them, a win won't help us much and a loss will hurt us, playing on their floor is one of their big games of the year so they will be up for every meeting, and we therefore we want to duck them". Dayton is calling you out. At least offer them a 2 for 1. Let them be the ones to turn down the series if they don't want it. from an outside observer...

Dayton can whine and moan and call us out all they want. The point of the matter is that it does us ZERO good to play them anymore. They are just angry because the only meaningful rivalry game they play all year long just got taken away from them. I understand why they would be upset but it is up to Dayton to move on from this. Find a new rival, find another game to get your fans excited about. But at the end of the day, until Dayton puts there program in a place where playing them would be beneficial to X, it ain't gonna happen.

"it does us ZERO good to play them anymore"...Which is more honest than the paraphrase "we don't have room in our schedule with our new conference commitments" (or the exact quote at the start of this thread).
Go Nova
Dave

Postby GibsoniaPA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks Dave for the post, you understand what I was saying. X-UD have been going at each other for over 90 years, and isn't that history what a rivalry is all about? How many rivalries in the country can claim that- in addition to being 2 great private Catholic BB schools with passion on both sides. I'm not saying UD deserved a NBE invite. They have not shown the ability to win consistently, and I do not blame the new league at all. Maybe some day. Enjoy great success in the NBE X fans, just tone it down on the lame "no space on the schedule for the next 2 years" and maybe never... lines. That's not what is going on here and most objective people see thru it.... that's all..
GibsoniaPA

Postby XU&DPU » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 pm

tsmithoiho12 wrote:Question to Chris Mack XU Coach : Dayton isn’t on the schedule this year and athletic director Greg Christopher said it won’t be next year, either. What are your thoughts on resuming the series with the Flyers?

CM: It has been a great rivalry. It’s been a really good game for both fan bases and one if we can continue, again, striking that balance with who we’re playing in the non-conference versus now having 18 conference games as opposed to 16 in the past, existing contracts, existing relationships with schools whether it’s Wake Forest or the University of Cincinnati – it’s an impossibility for this year or next. After the two years are up, then we’ll have an opportunity to revisit it.

XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE

No room for the Dayotn game that goes back nearly 100 years? Wimps

It's like 'the Sopranos.' It's *over*. Find a new show."
XU&DPU

Postby muskieman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I would think ud would be more interested in advancing their program to make it look good IF the BE expands rather than get in a pissing match like a little child. I am sure the admin of ud understands what is necessary but the fans just cannot stand that their big brother got to sit at the Big Boys table and they didn't. :roll:
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. Jimmy V.
muskieman

Postby MADXSTER » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:06 pm

"I don't like to Hate, but when I do, I prefer to Hate the University of Dayton"

- The most interesting man in the world
MADXSTER

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board