XU DAYTON RIVALRY

The home for Big East hoops

Re: XU DAYTON RIVALRY

Postby Dew » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 pm

No national presence? The execs at Fox Sports disagree.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XBand15 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 pm

This thread got ugly way too fast. As an X fan I'm just glad we moved on from playing Dayton. Also good job by the poster to leave out the fact that we are playing Tennessee, Alabama, and Wake as well as the battle for Atlantis. But the real point is that since we are no longer playing, let's try to have some civility X fans and not turn this into a pissing match.
XBand15

Postby Blue Blobs Bro » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 am

This time for x is all about a new era, why play Dayton ever again?
Blue Blobs Bro

Postby ChicagoX » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 am

GibsoniaPA wrote:Come on Mirko- your making my point for me. All X & UD fans know what a rich rivalry this has been. To say that UD is so poor of a program they should not be scheduled again is not being honest.... my point is made below.

"XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE"

It should be noted that the all of these games are buy games with the exception of Quincy (exhibition game). If UD wants to become a buy game for X like all of the schools listed above, then I'm guessing the XU administration would be fine with that and schedule it. There is no need for Xavier to ever travel to UD Arena again unless they have to play in the First Four. The Cincinnati rivalry is our big non-conference rival and Butler will likely replace Dayton as our new area in-conference rival. Xavier has moved on to bigger and better things than having to play home and homes against mid-major schools like UD.
ChicagoX

Postby Mirko » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:52 am

Amen. The NBE is going to be a blast!
Mirko

Postby XU45211 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 am

Dayton and Miami (OH) have the same number of NCAA Tournament appearances this decade. I'd watch what you condescendingly call a "must see game". Oh yeah, Miami (OH) has also won at Xavier since people discontinued using rotary phones.
XU45211

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 am

XU45211 wrote:Dayton and Miami (OH) have the same number of NCAA Tournament appearances this decade. I'd watch what you condescendingly call a "must see game". Oh yeah, Miami (OH) has also won at Xavier since people discontinued using rotary phones.

Hey now, don't bring rotary phones into this.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby DanofXav76 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:08 pm

tsmithoiho12 wrote:Question to Chris Mack XU Coach : Dayton isn’t on the schedule this year and athletic director Greg Christopher said it won’t be next year, either. What are your thoughts on resuming the series with the Flyers?

CM: It has been a great rivalry. It’s been a really good game for both fan bases and one if we can continue, again, striking that balance with who we’re playing in the non-conference versus now having 18 conference games as opposed to 16 in the past, existing contracts, existing relationships with schools whether it’s Wake Forest or the University of Cincinnati – it’s an impossibility for this year or next. After the two years are up, then we’ll have an opportunity to revisit it.

XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE

No room for the Dayotn game that goes back nearly 100 years? Wimps

Looks like a UDPrider has lost his way? Trolling over here on our Big East board and bashing Xavier eh? No doubt Dayton has a large and passionate fan base who unfortunately (small vocal minority) treat any Xavier fan who has the audacity to wear a Musketeer hat or shirt to a game at the UD arena (personal experience) with a barrage of cursing and obscene gestures. The same Flyer crowd who serenaded Coach Mack's wife (who is a member of the Dayton HOF!)there with their two young daughters at last years game with an obscene chant forcing her to find Arena security. Yes, I guess I'm ok with not playing home and home for a while (sarcasm intended).
Oh would also be curious to hear from my new Marquette friends on their feelings about adding Dayton when and if the NBE expands?
DanofXav76

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

DanofXav76 wrote:
tsmithoiho12 wrote:Question to Chris Mack XU Coach : Dayton isn’t on the schedule this year and athletic director Greg Christopher said it won’t be next year, either. What are your thoughts on resuming the series with the Flyers?

CM: It has been a great rivalry. It’s been a really good game for both fan bases and one if we can continue, again, striking that balance with who we’re playing in the non-conference versus now having 18 conference games as opposed to 16 in the past, existing contracts, existing relationships with schools whether it’s Wake Forest or the University of Cincinnati – it’s an impossibility for this year or next. After the two years are up, then we’ll have an opportunity to revisit it.

XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE

No room for the Dayotn game that goes back nearly 100 years? Wimps

Looks like a UDPrider has lost his way? Trolling over here on our Big East board and bashing Xavier eh? No doubt Dayton has a large and passionate fan base who unfortunately (small vocal minority) treat any Xavier fan who has the audacity to wear a Musketeer hat or shirt to a game at the UD arena (personal experience) with a barrage of cursing and obscene gestures. The same Flyer crowd who serenaded Coach Mack's wife (who is a member of the Dayton HOF!)there with their two young daughters at last years game with an obscene chant forcing her to find Arena security. Yes, I guess I'm ok with not playing home and home for a while (sarcasm intended).
Oh would also be curious to hear from my new Marquette friends on their feelings about adding Dayton when and if the NBE expands?

My apathy tells me I probably dont want to add them. At this point I only want teams that could easily regularly be in top 4 or else don't add them but Im pro expansion if we can do that.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby DeltaV » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 pm

OutlawWales wrote:
On a more serious note, this is an interesting aspect of this new conference for teams like Creighton, Butler, and X. Being in a "major" conference now, where many rivalries come from teams in "mid-major" conferences. Do you continue those? Do you not? That's a tough one.

To play Devils Advocate here...Nova still plays the Big 5. Do you think we get an RPI boost from playing UPenn, St. Joes (most years, I can't resist the chance for a dig against the kids down Lancaster Ave from us), or (at least until recently...I will say I'm glad to see them back, and was jumping up and down like a delusional monkey when they made the sweet 16 this year) LaSalle?

And yes, Nova/Rollie kinda tried to kill it in the early '90s when the Big East started becoming big (and perpetuated the idea that those uppity suburban kids on the Main Line thought they were too good for Philly). But Jay is a big fan of it...and the latest 'out of conference' analysis gave us a 'pass' on scheduling those lower RPI school because of the history of the city series.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board