XU DAYTON RIVALRY

The home for Big East hoops

Re: XU DAYTON RIVALRY

Postby Mirko » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Note to the rest of the Big East. This is an example of the most Delusional fan base in college basketball. Very sad time in Dayton.
Mirko

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GibsoniaPA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 pm

X fans, I appreciate that your in the BE, and well deserved. But Dayton has played you very competitively for many years, and have held their own most years. Rather than slam their program, just admit that you guys have finally distanced yourself from Dayton and you are not about to throw them a lifeline to compete any further with you. I can at least respect that honesty.... their only 45 minutes away from you, have as strong of following in their town as any program in the country, graduate their players and recruit many of the same players as X.
GibsoniaPA

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Put Xavier and Dayton in the same sentence, and this happens...I have to give Flyer fans a lot of credit for being loyal.

I took under 20 on the posts before a Jimmy Carter reference. What do I win?
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby Mirko » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:56 pm

" But Dayton has played you very competitively for many years, and have held their own most years. " What part of the Jimmy Carter post didn't you get? Please go away.
Mirko

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:59 pm

That's the downside to realignment. Rivalries are destroyed. I look at Missouri/Kansas as one example. As much as I hate Mizzou, I'd love to have a rival that stirs up that kind of absolute hatred. Duke says they won't play Maryland again. There's a lot of examples. Xavier/Dayton is another one.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby GibsoniaPA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Come on Mirko- your making my point for me. All X & UD fans know what a rich rivalry this has been. To say that UD is so poor of a program they should not be scheduled again is not being honest.... my point is made below.

"XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE"
GibsoniaPA

Postby Mirko » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Unfortunately for Dayton, X has moved on. Feel bad for Dayton fans they have lost traditional games with Marquette, Notre Dame, Cincy and DePaul. Maybe the entire NBE should help out Dayton and add them to the schedule. Looking forward to a great season in the NBE
Mirko

Postby OutlawWales » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Mirko wrote:Note to the rest of the Big East. This is an example of the most Delusional fan base in college basketball. Very sad time in Dayton.

... you haven't met a Nebraska basketball fan before, have you?

On a more serious note, this is an interesting aspect of this new conference for teams like Creighton, Butler, and X. Being in a "major" conference now, where many rivalries come from teams in "mid-major" conferences. Do you continue those? Do you not? That's a tough one.

Creighton fans have complained for years and years about not being able to schedule quality games with "major" programs because those programs viewed the possibility of losing to Creighton as too high of a risk with too little reward. So Jays fans have complained about being shut out, how unfair scheduling is, etc. Now, Creighton is in the position of being in a major conference and all those very recent "peers" are sitting right there -- does Creighton instantly turn its back on the very problem it complained about for so long, or does it go ahead and schedule some of those teams to start remedying the perception that you shouldn't risk scheduling really good mid major programs?

For Creighton, for example, there have been recent "rivalries" if you will with Wichita State and Northern Iowa. Creighton's history with Drake goes waaaay back, like forever. And all three of those programs are capable of actually putting a product on the floor that is as good or better than a whole ton of teams from "major" conferences. But to play them now really does carry high risk and low reward (Wichita at the moment maybe excluded, coming off that final four run -- but that'll fade quickly, I hope). Add in the fact that there is a sizable contingent of fans of those schools seething with jealousy about the move to the Big East and just itching for a chance to see Creighton fail, and there becomes even more risk to playing such a game.

I would be shocked to see Creighton play any MVC teams for a long time. What I'm more curious about is whether Creighton will be willing/interested in giving more "quality" mid-major programs a shot at a home and home or something now that the shoe is sort of on the other foot for the Jays. We've had recent series with teams like St. Joe's and Dayton, for example. I'd personally rather see us play a team like those guys than continue playing Nebraska every year, where we've had nothing to gain and much to lose for YEARS even as a mid-major vs. a Big Ten!
OutlawWales

Postby BEwannabe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:37 pm

But the NBE , Xavier and Creighton aren't majors. The NBE has a nice tv contract but not a national following, it was interesting reading the Gonzaga thread which somehow led me to a Zag board where 1 of posters asked, "who plays in the NBE" , that in a nutshell is the national presence the NBE has.
BEwannabe

Postby nickthedribbler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 pm

BEwannabe wrote:But the NBE , Xavier and Creighton aren't majors. The NBE has a nice tv contract but not a national following, it was interesting reading the Gonzaga thread which somehow led me to a Zag board where 1 of posters asked, "who plays in the NBE" , that in a nutshell is the national presence the NBE has.

So some loser in Spokane Washington isn't sure who plays in the Big East, and from that you draw the conclusion that the BE has no national presence.

Wow, that's a lot of anger/disappointment you seem to be carrying around. It's not healthy and I would advise counselling.
nickthedribbler

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board