XU DAYTON RIVALRY

The home for Big East hoops

XU DAYTON RIVALRY

Postby tsmithoiho12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Question to Chris Mack XU Coach : Dayton isn’t on the schedule this year and athletic director Greg Christopher said it won’t be next year, either. What are your thoughts on resuming the series with the Flyers?

CM: It has been a great rivalry. It’s been a really good game for both fan bases and one if we can continue, again, striking that balance with who we’re playing in the non-conference versus now having 18 conference games as opposed to 16 in the past, existing contracts, existing relationships with schools whether it’s Wake Forest or the University of Cincinnati – it’s an impossibility for this year or next. After the two years are up, then we’ll have an opportunity to revisit it.

XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE

No room for the Dayotn game that goes back nearly 100 years? Wimps
tsmithoiho12

XU DAYTON RIVALRY

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: XU DAYTON RIVALRY

Postby tsmithoiho12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Xavier and Dayton have met 158 times, the first time being in the 1919-20 season (UD won 24-18). The two teams have met 59 times more than any other opponent Xavier has faced.
tsmithoiho12

Postby Friarfan2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Should be a 2 home game for 1 away game deal if xavier is going to continue this "Rivalry".
Friarfan2

Postby xavierfano8 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:17 pm

No thanks, Xavier has enough buy games.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby tsmithoiho12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Yep, UD leads the all-time series 84-74, so why continue, since it is obvious that UD is the better program
tsmithoiho12

Postby XU85 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 pm

tsmithoiho12 wrote:Question to Chris Mack XU Coach : Dayton isn’t on the schedule this year and athletic director Greg Christopher said it won’t be next year, either. What are your thoughts on resuming the series with the Flyers?

CM: It has been a great rivalry. It’s been a really good game for both fan bases and one if we can continue, again, striking that balance with who we’re playing in the non-conference versus now having 18 conference games as opposed to 16 in the past, existing contracts, existing relationships with schools whether it’s Wake Forest or the University of Cincinnati – it’s an impossibility for this year or next. After the two years are up, then we’ll have an opportunity to revisit it.

XU's non conference schedule for 2013 includes the following must-see games
QUINCY
GARDNER WEB
MIAMI OH
BOWLING GREEN
ABILEEN CHRISTAN
EVANSVILLE

No room for the Dayotn game that goes back nearly 100 years? Wimps

Did somebody steal your lunch money today? :cry:
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby ChicagoX » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:41 pm

It would not surprise me in the least to see Xavier no longer schedule Dayton in the future. X gains absolutely zero benefit from signing a home-and-home with average mid-major programs like UD when they can sign with with major programs who will do much more for their NCAA Tournament resume and help them gain further national recognition.

Dayton has everything to gain in this situation which is why you see UD fans so upset that Xavier dropped them from their schedule the next two years. Meanwhile, all is quiet on the Xavier front because they literally have nothing at all to gain by playing a home-and-home series against UD. A loss to the Flyers would look much worse for X's resume than a win would look good.

At the very most, Xavier should host Dayton as a buy game or at the very worst, sign a 2-for-1 deal. There aren't any other programs out there whom Xavier has recently signed to a home-and-home who offer as little as the Dayton program does.

I just don't see any purpose in playing a team who has a 31-33 conference record in the A10 the past four years. Xavier's biggest rival is Cincinnati, and that is the one series they should focus on extending back to each school's campus.
ChicagoX

Postby marquette » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:43 pm

You are correct sir. I don't know how I could have overlooked this! I'll get my people on the phone and straighten this out right now! While I'm at it, would you like me to schedule a home/home with Duke and Ohio State for UD? I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Seriously though, what were you hoping to accomplish by insulting Xavier and insinuating that we here have some sort of say in the matter?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby xbr1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:55 pm

And UD fans couldn't understand why Xavier didn't want them in the NBE.
xbr1

Postby bmorex » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:08 pm

(I should mention to our BE brethren who may not know. Dayton has not won a game at Xavier's home court since Carter was President.)
bmorex

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board