Any chance the Big East ever adds a public university?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby movemento » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Forecasting out 5-10 years do you think there is any chance the Big East presidents consider adding a public university? Someone such as VCU or Wichita St or even a school with FBS football like UConn or one of the Florida schools - UCF or USF? What would it take for FOX to force such a move?
movemento

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Any chance the Big East ever adds a public university?

Postby marquette » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 pm

There's a chance for a public school (albeit, seemingly very slim) but I don't see an FBS school ever being allowed to join this conference. The Big East leadership has decided they like a certain profile (small, private, good academics, basketball tradition). I can see a possibility for going outside this profile only if the school would add an extremely high value to the conference (I'm guessing a national championship would have to be involved somehow). It is very unlikely for the conference to add UConn, unless they drop their football program down to FCS. UCF and USF are completely out of the question. They have nothing to offer the conference. They are flight risks with mediocre football teams and sub-par basketball traditions. They are large schools, public, with mediocre academics, and they are outside our geographic footprint. I don't mean to sound harsh, but there is just no chance for those two to ever be in the Big East.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby sarp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:30 pm

It would be due to conference realignment. Say university of Kansas was on the wrong end of conf realignment. They are a definite basketball school, it would be a situation like that
Creighton Fan since the 1980's
sarp

Postby Bluejay » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Never is a long time, but I'd certainly say it won't happen soon.

What we've learned so far is that the presidents want to run this league and they want complete privacy. They don't care if running it this way upsets the media or, to a lesser extent athletic directors, coaches and even fans. Adding a public school means that the public school would be open to freedom of information act requests, inquiries from publicly elected boards of trustees that leak like a sieve, etc.

Maybe 10 years or so after the league is fully established, a public school might be considered. But it isn't happening soon.
Bluejay

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 pm

sarp wrote:It would be due to conference realignment. Say university of Kansas was on the wrong end of conf realignment. They are a definite basketball school, it would be a situation like that

I think if something happened in the Big 12 or the FBS breakaway left them without a home and no one else was smart enough to take Kansas. I sincerely doubt we would turn them down. Even with an FBS team(if you can call it that) they are and will always be a basketball school(I mean for heaven sake their first coach invented the sport). They would instantly make us a permanent presence in basketball and ensure the respect of the collegiate basketball community.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby Jet915 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Realistically, I think UCONN is the only school they would accept because of their past Big East history but they would have to drop football and that ain't gonna happen.
Jet915

Postby Barley » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am

Seems unlikely. I do wonder if they will ever go south however? The Big East is a northeast US centered league so there might be some advantage to expanding south some day.
Barley

Postby Noonzy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:50 am

UConn will only go to the B1g or the ACC-they think they are too good for any other conference.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby ccaibew1225 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:04 pm

VCU seems the most likely to me and I would call them South, I doubt it though it, it looks like a private school league to me. I think we will wind up with 12 - St. Louis plus either Dayton or Richmond. Incidentally, half the BE is Midwest not Northeast.
ccaibew1225

Postby JOPO » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm

I really hope we stay at ten. If we do expand then whoever else gets the nod needs to be a true natural fit. A huge state school would be the last natural fit.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Return to Big East basketball message board