Afraid this is going to become the Georgetown/ Nova leading

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Afraid this is going to become the Georgetown/ Nova lead

Postby Friarfan2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 am

redmen9194 wrote:I am quite confident St. John's will get good exposure at good times. Not even worried a little bit.

Just like espn gave you good exposure?
Friarfan2

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Friarfan2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 am

Jet915 wrote:I have to believe Creighton with a NPOY candidate in Doug McDermott and likely national ranking will get top billing of Fox Sports 1 this year. Next year might be a different story.

I like to think you are right, but I doubt even with the best player in the nation you Willa's georgetown and nova in the mid Atlantic bias hype machine. And if St. John's had been respectable since mike Jarvis days, they would be there in the overhype too.
Friarfan2

Postby Dew » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:24 am

In every sport in every league certain teams have more fans and interest. Of course Georgetown is going to be on TV more than DePaul. Not sure why anyone would argue that.
Dew

Postby redmen9194 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 am

Friarfan2 wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:I am quite confident St. John's will get good exposure at good times. Not even worried a little bit.

Yep. We did fine on ESPN the last few seasons with Lavin on the bench. We were part of two of the last three opening day marathons, had a big Monday game, all our Garden mid-week games were on ESPN or ESPN2 with 7:00 tips. Played at least three games in the last three seasons on CBS (Duke, UCLA, G'Town). I had no problem with the ESPN coverage. When we really sucked, we did not get on as much but that's the way it goes. Fox will showcase this league and I think every team will be on more than with ESPN. I really don't think anyone will be upset with the coverage.
redmen9194

Postby Friarfan2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:14 am

redmen9194 wrote:
Friarfan2 wrote:

Yep. We did fine on ESPN the last few seasons with Lavin on the bench. We were part of two of the last three opening day marathons, had a big Monday game, all our Garden mid-week games were on ESPN or ESPN2 with 7:00 tips. Played at least three games in the last three seasons on CBS (Duke, UCLA, G'Town). I had no problem with the ESPN coverage. When we really sucked, we did not get on as much but that's the way it goes. Fox will showcase this league and I think every team will be on more than with ESPN. I really don't think anyone will be upset with the coverage.

Delusional. St. John's was a big east afterthought on espn.
Friarfan2

Postby JOPO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:23 am

Friarfan2 wrote:Delusional. St. John's was a big east afterthought on espn.

In your mind friarfan2, everyone is delusional except you. Look, like it or not both Seton Hall and St. John's will be key to success in the NJ/NYC market. There are no high major football schools in the area and people in this area absolutely love college basketball. Logic would tell you that having the two top Division 1 programs in the area, SHU and SJU, succeed would be good for the entire conference. Also, why do you think we fought to keep MSG for our tourney!? Once the SHU/SJU rivalry back to those late 80's. early 90's, pre-football dregs era, you will really see interest in college basketball and especially Big East basketball really take off.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby Friarfan2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 am

I think providence has been an espn afterthought for the past decade too. And I fear fs1 is going to treat us the same way that espn did.

I understand the importance of St. John's and want them to be good. I do not agree that seton hall is important. Nobody cares about seton hall, not even in New Jersey. Seton halls biggest value is a relatively short road trip for St. John's, nova and Georgetown fans, as well as fans from other schools who live in NYC, where we can see our teams win a January or February game. The world needs ditch diggers too, and seton hall is our's.

And there really is no light at the end of the tunnel for seton hall. The program (and school) is a mess right now.
Friarfan2

Postby aughnanure » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

Good teams with the most marketable players will get the most attention. Period.

That being said, the threshhold for "marketable players" and being considered "good" will be lower for certain programs more than others. It was a few years ago when St. John's beat Duke, went on a good run and ESPN went nuts over them. I was happy to see StJ do well, but it was secretly annoying to see ESPN talk the Johnnies up more than I'd ever seen for Marquette, which had done just as much if not more for all the previous 5 years. Its sort of like how everyone goes crazy when Notre Dame shows any sign of life (3 wins in a row? Oh, they must be top 15 now!).

But deal with it, if we want more money we have to allow for FS1 to make the most marketable decisions.

St. John's and Georgetown are the most marketable brands - But Marquette, Villanova and Xavier aren't far behind...and if DePaul can ever reach their potential those Marquette v DePaul matchups will be must-see (it wasn't that long ago they won 9 games in the Big East).

Good storylines will also be key. Hopefully the top 3-4 are very competitive and close for the whole year - at least 2 ranked top 15, but we really need to make our claims to Top 10 spots.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby JOPO » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:25 am

Friarfan2 wrote:I think providence has been an espn afterthought for the past decade too. And I fear fs1 is going to treat us the same way that espn did.

I understand the importance of St. John's and want them to be good. I do not agree that seton hall is important. Nobody cares about seton hall, not even in New Jersey. Seton halls biggest value is a relatively short road trip for St. John's, nova and Georgetown fans, as well as fans from other schools who live in NYC, where we can see our teams win a January or February game. The world needs ditch diggers too, and seton hall is our's.

And there really is no light at the end of the tunnel for seton hall. The program (and school) is a mess right now.

Yeah, no one cares about SHU, especially in NJ. I guess that is why our average attendance at games blows away any other school in the state. Seton hall is also doing a lot of great things on campus that you are clearly not aware of. Again, clueless as usual and you prove that with every post you make.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby Friarfan2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:27 am

Wait, now you are praising seton Hal's attendance?

Weren't you mad at me for asking who had the worst attendance among our conference (seton hall)?

And when you were hyping seton Hal's NYC pull, I asked when the last time a seton hall @ St. John's game drew over 10k fans (still waiting in an answer to that one).
Friarfan2

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board