Afraid this is going to become the Georgetown/ Nova leading

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Afraid this is going to become the Georgetown/ Nova lead

Postby Friarfan2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Involved so far? There hasn't been much to be involved in so far. There was the one commercial that they used lavin and Thompson for, but how do you know that wasn't just due to scheduling or logistics? I don't draw anything from that. And I have seen villanova featured in their other normal promotional commercials.

There hasn't been much of an indication as to whether those two schools will get favorable treatment. But they certainly got favorable treatment from espn.
Friarfan2

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Yeah, involved so far. The commercial is one thing and the Super Saturday Hoops event is the other I was talking about. Fox also has a Big East coaches clip from the commercial on their website with Lavs and JTIII. I am sure with over 100 games you'll be fine with Providence's TV exposure.
redmen9194

Postby Friarfan2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:47 pm

I wouldn't read much into the Super Saturday Hoops event. I'm glad they are doing it, but obviously St. John's is going to be in it. Doesn't Villanova get hamstrung with their out of conference flexibility because they have to play all of those Philadelphia Big 5 schools? Limits their options to schedule quality opponents with flexibility.

I'm jazzed about Providence's schedule this year. Beat Kentucky!
Friarfan2

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Friarfan2 wrote:I, worried because I think providence is actually going to be pretty good but we will get second class treatment.
[/quote]

FriarFan, I say this with all due respect because I think you guys will be a terriric team in the new BE with what is going on with Cooley, but... When your program has not done anything of note for some time, you can't expect the red carpet to be rolled out for you, all based on the promise of a good season. I guess it remains to be seen but you guys squeeking into the tourney this year would be considered a huge success. I would be ecstatic if PC got in and made some noise to boot. But let's be honest here, PC has been in the bottom 1/3 of the BE for a LONG time. If PC can win some big games, it would warrant them getting more TV time, and after a few years of sustained success perhaps PC will be treated with the respect that you are seeking.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby WaitingPatiently » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 pm

I could be imagining/misremembering this, but I could swear I heard Creighton's AD say on a local radio appearance that Fox is contractually obligated to broadcast ALL conference games. I assume that will include using FS2 and/or their online as well.

That would be 90 of the "over 100" games. Most of the teams only have a couple OOC games you'd put on nationally (and some of those have rights owned by the early tournaments or the opponents). I just cant see them broadcasting a game for anyone against the Little Siters of the Poor. So math-wise their claim of "over 100" does appear to cover the conference games.

I assume those sold to the regionals like Yes are primarily the OOC, but I guess we'll know shortly.
Creighton BSBA '96, MSITM '00, and MBA '01
WaitingPatiently

Postby Noonzy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am

I agree Redmen-I believe all of the schools in this great conference will be properly represented and no one will be slighted.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby Friarfan2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Fox will produce all the games, but they are not obligated to air them all on fs1. Georgetown and nova games will get fs1 in the 7 pm slot, and Marquette and Xavier will get the 9 pm slot, and the rest of us will get a heavy dose of fs2 and fs-go Internet streams.

Just wait and see. That's how espn did it. Your team will only be shown if it is playing one of those main draws, except if you happen to fall in a night that they aren't playing. St. John's v providence will be trumped by nova v seton hall, and creighton v seton hall will be trumped by Marquette v,. Providence.
Friarfan2

Postby redmen9194 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:07 pm

I am quite confident St. John's will get good exposure at good times. Not even worried a little bit.
redmen9194

Postby lahoya » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Friarfan2 wrote:Fox will produce all the games, but they are not obligated to air them all on fs1. Georgetown and nova games will get fs1 in the 7 pm slot, and Marquette and Xavier will get the 9 pm slot, and the rest of us will get a heavy dose of fs2 and fs-go Internet streams.

Just wait and see. That's how espn did it. Your team will only be shown if it is playing one of those main draws, except if you happen to fall in a night that they aren't playing. St. John's v providence will be trumped by nova v seton hall, and creighton v seton hall will be trumped by Marquette v,. Providence.

It's incredible this thread has gotten this long and you continue to misunderstand a network needing to sell advertising, which requires viewership, which requires games people want to see. If you are looking for people to agree Providence is going to get less attention than nova, gtown and others then I imagine most will wholeheartedly agree with you. If you want us to feel bad for you, that is likely a different story. Frankly, I hope Creighton and Butler get more coverage than Providence because their play on the court warrants more attention. If the Big East is going to remain the best basketball conference in the country then we're going to have to play like one. In other words, worry more about your team getting better and less complaining about why less people want to watch your team play, especially when your team hasn't played in the tournament since 2004.
lahoya

Postby Jet915 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm

I have to believe Creighton with a NPOY candidate in Doug McDermott and likely national ranking will get top billing of Fox Sports 1 this year. Next year might be a different story.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board