Afraid this is going to become the Georgetown/ Nova leading

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Friarfan2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:24 am

Espn used to give those two teams way more games and publicity than others. St Johns would be on this list too but they aren't very good. Villanova and Georgetown would have more prime tv slots than schools like DePaul, providence, seton hall combined in a season. Marquette would get some games, but for how good they were they still didn't stack up to the east coast bias power schools.

I have a feeling that we are going to be sick of looking at "JTIII"'s face and Jay Wright's suits by the time late February comes around. We are all going to be wondering why our teams might be doing as well as these two yet they get all the face time.

Watch and see.
Friarfan2

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Afraid this is going to become the Georgetown/ Nova lead

Postby lahoya » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 am

Kind of like how ESPN would show a lot more Duke/UNC games than Clemson or Georgia Tech. It's crazy a network would showcase more successful programs as if they are trying to attract viewers. Depaul vs Seton Hall would pull in a huge number of possibly a hundred of viewers on Big Monday. Clearly the only thing stopping the bottom teams from breaking out is lack of national coverage which is why Butler was all over my TV three years ago.
lahoya

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 am

Actually, I have not seen Nova much in the promos or even as part of the Fox events. In the Fox commercial it was Lavin and Thompson. In Fox's Super Saturday Hoops double header it is St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown and Michigan State. So while I think G'Town will be front and center, I'm not sure you are correct about Nova.
redmen9194

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 am

Friarfan2 wrote:Espn used to give those two teams way more games and publicity than others. St Johns would be on this list too but they aren't very good. Villanova and Georgetown would have more prime tv slots than schools like DePaul, providence, seton hall combined in a season. Marquette would get some games, but for how good they were they still didn't stack up to the east coast bias power schools.

I have a feeling that we are going to be sick of looking at "JTIII"'s face and Jay Wright's suits by the time late February comes around. We are all going to be wondering why our teams might be doing as well as these two yet they get all the face time.

Watch and see.

Huh? You mean the Fox TV Exec's will use a couple of the league's best assets to try to market the league? Oh no!!!! Two important things you said: "SJU would be on the list but they aren't very good...We are wondering why our teams might be doing as well..yet they get all the face time." Take care of winning in the league and doing some damage in the tourney, first. Both G'town and Nova won National Championships while members of the BE, and both have been to a Final Four in the past 6 years. Viwers recognize them; they are familiar. Both have made the tourney a combined 12 times in the last 8 years; Prov, SHU, SJU & DePaul have made it a combined 2x in that same period. And you ask why a few of these schools might not be brought out under the big lights as often?

And I don't agree with your premise, anyway. I believe you'll see just as much of Marq, and I would expect that McDermott will be front and center as often as possible. If you want Prov, DePaul and SHU to be relevant on TV, then they need to become relevant on the court. And I'm not just talking about for one year.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby yorost » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 am

lahoya wrote:Kind of like how ESPN would show a lot more Duke/UNC games than Clemson or Georgia Tech. It's crazy a network would showcase more successful programs as if they are trying to attract viewers. Depaul vs Seton Hall would pull in a huge number of possibly a hundred of viewers on Big Monday. Clearly the only thing stopping the bottom teams from breaking out is lack of national coverage which is why Butler was all over my TV three years ago.

Yeah, that. I would be confused if Fox didn't try to get the best bang out of the contract. Just because they're airing so many games doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be smart about what games they choose.
yorost

Postby Bluejay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 am

GumbyDamnit wrote:I believe you'll see just as much of Marq, and I would expect that McDermott will be front and center as often as possible.

It might be logical to think that, but so far McDermott has not appeared in a single piece of advertising. National basketball writers talk about him, but I've yet to see a piece cretaed by the conference or Fox do so. Likewise, the newest Fox commercial doesn't even have Creighton in it at all.

I think the OP has a legit point int hat some schools do seem to be getting more coverage than the others (and some of those schools aren't even picked to finish at the top...)
Bluejay

Postby yorost » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:35 am

The point made is just how the world works. Complaining might as well be saying you think Fox doesn't know how to market a product. Why wouldn't they emphasize certain programs and coaches?

As for footage used in commercials, I think we should keep in mind that Fox might not have easy access to much video from the newcomers. We know the Big East and AAC split and shared rights to their archives based on what teams were in each game, and that's probably Fox's go to library. They'd have to go other places to get video for the other three. Look at their college hoops preview, it's basically Big East conference games, with a short clip of Butler.
yorost

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:50 am

Bluejay wrote:
GumbyDamnit wrote:I believe you'll see just as much of Marq, and I would expect that McDermott will be front and center as often as possible.

It might be logical to think that, but so far McDermott has not appeared in a single piece of advertising. National basketball writers talk about him, but I've yet to see a piece cretaed by the conference or Fox do so. Likewise, the newest Fox commercial doesn't even have Creighton in it at all.

I think the OP has a legit point int hat some schools do seem to be getting more coverage than the others (and some of those schools aren't even picked to finish at the top...)

Did I miss something as I don't recall seeing much of any serious promotion of anything other than generic Fox 1 ones. I recall seeing a 2 second clip of Jayvaughn Pinkston dunking during a Marq/Nova game, and abrief clip of a SJU game. There was also a commercial with JTIII and Lavin. What else is there? I see Fox putting on a Marathon on NYE with all 10 teams with Creighton-Marq in the final game of the day, and discussion of a Super Bowl doubleheader at the Garden with SJU (the home team) and Marq and Gtwn who were regular season co-champs of the BE last year (ie- two of our best teams).

Let's wait for Fox NFL coverage where I expect a LOT of cross-promotion to occur. If you were to rank the BE in terms of brand awareness, where do you think the schools would fall? I believe Creighton would be somewhere south of Gtwn, Nova, Marq, St. Johns, Butler & Xavier. McDermott is a GREAT player and Creighton may very well end up on top THIS year, but this is akin to Pitt and ND complaining that they are not getting the same ACC pub as UNC and Duke. Everyone has got to earn their place. Relax and if you end up seeing more games scheduled for the likes of Gtown, Nova and Marq, know that it's probably because they have been the most successful BE schools (of the ones remaining) over the past several years.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Friarfan2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:00 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Actually, I have not seen Nova much in the promos or even as part of the Fox events. In the Fox commercial it was Lavin and Thompson. In Fox's Super Saturday Hoops double header it is St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown and Michigan State. So while I think G'Town will be front and center, I'm not sure you are correct about Nova.

You think fox is just going to keep jay wright and villanova under the radar and promote at john's instead? I whole heatedly disagree.

This is going to be a villanova/Georgetown marketing bonanza with some Marquette sprinkled in. St. John's has not been nationally relevant in many yrs, don't expect to see much of them. If St. John's is good, they will get marketed, but they have to be good first.

I, worried because I think providence is actually going to be pretty good but we will get second class treatment.
Friarfan2

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:18 pm

That is not what I said at all. You said that Fox was promoting Nova and G'Town. I indicated that was not the case as Nova has not been involved as of yet. St. John's has been involved but I did not say Fox was going to focus on them, I just noted that they were involved so far along with Quette and G'Town. Why don't you wait until the TV schedule comes out. I am sure everyone will be mostly happy with it.
redmen9194

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board