Interview with Val Ackerman- expansion, etc

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Interview with Val Ackerman- expansion, etc

Postby nyc9291 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Article today on the Big East with comments from Ackerman on a variety of things.

Big East athletic directors expect Ackerman to focus on the long-term health of their conference, in addition to simply getting it up and running. They point to the importance of maintaining a good relationship with Madison Square Garden, which hosts their postseason tournament. "There seems to be some New York envy, it's out there," she says, referring to other conferences like the ACC and Big Ten, which are expanding their footprint, markets and marquee events to include New York City.

Two major issues will affect the Big East's future, likely more than anything else: expansion and the NCAA governance model.

The Big East originally started with the "Catholic 7" – DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova. Those seven added Butler, Creighton and Xavier to reach 10, and that may not be the ultimate size of the league.

"I'd call it right now an openness to expansion – I think, because you have to be in this world," Ackerman says. "I have not even had this discussion yet with my presidents … so I would say it's on the back burner, but I would not say it will never happen. But at this point, it's not something anyone is spending a lot of time working on."

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/2013081 ... ies-future
nyc9291

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Vill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 am

Expansion keeps coming up in these articles which surprises me a little bit. Before we do anything we need to have a clear grasp of what is happening with the football part of the NCAA. I'd hate to be passed by because we diluted ourselves too much.
Vill

Postby Bluejay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:45 am

Vill wrote:Expansion keeps coming up in these articles which surprises me a little bit. Before we do anything we need to have a clear grasp of what is happening with the football part of the NCAA. I'd hate to be passed by because we diluted ourselves too much.

In all fairness, I think the expansion issue only keeps coming up because reporters/interviewers keep asking about it. I don't think that Ackerman is going out of her way to keep mentioning it, nor do I believe she would have mentioned it all if not specifically asked about it.
Bluejay

Postby aughnanure » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:55 am

Vill wrote:Expansion keeps coming up in these articles which surprises me a little bit. Before we do anything we need to have a clear grasp of what is happening with the football part of the NCAA. I'd hate to be passed by because we diluted ourselves too much.

Expansion drives interest and keeps people excited. It's also going to happen. Starting to sound like sooner rather than later. I'd put it at 3 years max right now.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby Dew » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:56 am

aughnanure wrote:

Expansion drives interest and keeps people excited. It's also going to happen. Starting to sound like sooner rather than later. I'd put it at 3 years max right now.

Unless its a big fish that we can land, I hope you're wrong.
Dew

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 am

Very excited to have a true Home and Home league schedule. First time in a long time for Xavier. Hope the BE doesn't exapnd just for the sake of expansion. If there do add a couple of schools it should only be done if it makes the conference stronger.
DanofXav76

Postby BillEsq » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:34 am

Shouldn't surprise you its the era of expansion. There are hundreds of expansion articles written a day. The Big BCS conferences are looking to either split from the NCAA or form a new division. Financially it would be in the BE's best interest to join them. the football schools only need a few other conferences to fill out the non-rev calenders. The BE would be perfect for this as long as the BE adds schools that fit its footprint. Schools that don't sponsor football and are located in decent media markets or have some sort of name cachet.

My guess is that within a decade the BE will expand to at least 12. There will be 4 top tier FBS conferences of 16 teams and the split will have occurred in one way or another. only the top 10 or so conferences really have a chance of being added. Maybe one or two conferences with FBS football most likely the BE potentially the WCC and a small chances for the A-10. They may make an allowance for the Ivy for history sake and some sort of arrangement for Army and Navy. But really that is about it.

There really is no secret here. The BE just has to add one or two major market non-football schools. The only questions are what football schools fail to make the cut and whether the FBS schools let any non football schools in on their game.
BillEsq

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm

BillEsq wrote:

Shouldn't surprise you its the era of expansion. There are hundreds of expansion articles written a day. The Big BCS conferences are looking to either split from the NCAA or form a new division. Financially it would be in the BE's best interest to join them. the football schools only need a few other conferences to fill out the non-rev calenders. The BE would be perfect for this as long as the BE adds schools that fit its footprint. Schools that don't sponsor football and are located in decent media markets or have some sort of name cachet.

My guess is that within a decade the BE will expand to at least 12. There will be 4 top tier FBS conferences of 16 teams and the split will have occurred in one way or another. only the top 10 or so conferences really have a chance of being added. Maybe one or two conferences with FBS football most likely the BE potentially the WCC and a small chances for the A-10. They may make an allowance for the Ivy for history sake and some sort of arrangement for Army and Navy. But really that is about it.

There really is no secret here. The BE just has to add one or two major market non-football schools. The only questions are what football schools fail to make the cut and whether the FBS schools let any non football schools in on their game.

There's another secret: the Big East has 10 teams. It'll stay that way.
There is zero chance of expansion anytime soon. If the Big East wanted 12 teams, they'd have taken 12. They want 10...guess how many are there? The Big East will soon be the cutoff of top-level basketball; and there's going to be 10 teams in it.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby marquette » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:14 pm

DumpsterFireA10 wrote:There's another secret: the Big East has 10 teams. It'll stay that way.
There is zero chance of expansion anytime soon. If the Big East wanted 12 teams, they'd have taken 12. They want 10...guess how many are there? The Big East will soon be the cutoff of top-level basketball; and there's going to be 10 teams in it.

I'm thinking at worst (for you guys) we are looking at a couple years of "auditions", if you will. I would assume that at the end of that we will either expand, if there are worthy candidates, or stay at 10 for the foreseeable future. Either way, the possibility of expansion is not dead as of now. Don't jump off that ledge just yet.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

marquette wrote:
DumpsterFireA10 wrote:There's another secret: the Big East has 10 teams. It'll stay that way.

I'm thinking at worst (for you guys) we are looking at a couple years of "auditions", if you will. I would assume that at the end of that we will either expand, if there are worthy candidates, or stay at 10 for the foreseeable future. Either way, the possibility of expansion is not dead as of now. Don't jump off that ledge just yet.

Just a bad combo for me.

The Valley isn't going to happen EVER, the Big East may or may not expand, and what's left? Staying in a league that is trying to run Saint Louis completely out of it (and that I can't stand)? Oh well, at least we still have a good basketball team. I respect a lot of the A-10 programs, but overall, I hate the league.

Big East will be super fun for y'all.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board