What is the relationship between your school & the state one

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What is the relationship between your school & the state

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:08 pm

ACC football is horrible. The coaches poll just came out, and only Clemson and Florida State are ranked. Then only 3 other schools even got votes. They had 5 teams listed in basically the top 53. And there are only around 140 teams in FBS...!
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 pm

BEwannabe wrote:Had Notre Dame committed to BE football, then the conference would still be intact and the ACC would be the conference in a world of hurt. None of the schools would've ever left BE if they had a footbal conference headlined by ND and it would've been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out.

see - now this cracks me up. its absurd to expect every school to act in their own best interest - but somehow notre dame is supposed to act in the best interest of other institutions or some conference.
cujaysfan

Postby nathanhm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 pm

cujaysfan wrote:
BEwannabe wrote:Had Notre Dame committed to BE football, then the conference would still be intact and the ACC would be the conference in a world of hurt. None of the schools would've ever left BE if they had a footbal conference headlined by ND and it would've been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out.

see - now this cracks me up. its absurd to expect every school to act in their own best interest - but somehow notre dame is supposed to act in the best interest of other institutions or some conference.

Don't join a conference if you're not going to act in its best interests. Big East chased football dollars and let ND corrupt the conference from the inside out. However what's done is done - the larger point was you won't be seeing many Big East fans at least from the C7 rooting for Notre Dame. You new guys might want to or else you'd probably be stuck in whatever conferences we rescued you from.
nathanhm

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:17 pm

notre dame wasn't a member of BE for football - nor are they of the ACC

not sure what people don't understand about that
cujaysfan

Postby DeltaV » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I grew up in State College, so I was surrounded by PSU and the worship of JoePa. As a result, I hated it, although now since I don't really have a football team to root for, I will kinda root for them if I have nothing else to do (although I don't watch that much NCAA Football anyway...too many boring blowouts).

Wasn't Nova (and Pitt) also somewhat accused to conspiring to keep PSU out of the early Big East? Either way, there aren't really any feelings between the two schools, I think. Vastly different kinds of schools, attract very different people. I remember my freshmen year, Nova swam against PSU in State College...I had a blast watching all the NJ and NY suburban kids staring out at cow country as we rolled up 322 asking me where the hell we were (they all thought PA was completely suburban between Philly and Pittsburgh, the way NJ kinda is between NY and Philly).
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby NCWildcat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:34 pm

PA students attending Villanova are the minority. I believe the number of 'in-state' students attending Villanova is below 20%

As for PennState, I did'nt know anyone who even applied there, but I would guess many of the 'in-state' students must have.
Not really a rivalry/competition between the two schools. Two very different universities targeting very different student bodies.
NCWildcat

Postby walijones » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I guess I'm a somewhat typical east coaster in that I don't pay too much attention to college football on the national level. As a Villanova alum, I follow our football program and the other teams in our league (the CAA--Wm & Mary, Delaware, Richmond, New Hampshire, etc.). I'll also watch local telecasts of Patriot League football games because of family ties.

Since I don't care about Penn State football, and their hoops has always sucked, I have no feeling either way regarding the Nits. The state schools in Pa that I dislike are Temple and Pitt, due to Nova's history with both on the hoops side.

As a side note, and to indicate the lack of enthusiasm for college football in the northeast, a week after the BE football schools split for the ACC, UCONN played at Pitt on a Thursday night at the Steelers stadium. Tickets were going for $0.50 on stub hub (that's not a typo) and the announced crowd was 9000. The northeast is all about pro football.
walijones

Postby JOPO » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Bluejay wrote:
This may be news to those residing on the east coast, but in the midwest and the south, where college football is a much bigger deal, Big East football was always the subject of jokes and ridicule. The most common refrain, even before the most recent football departures, was "How in the heck does the Big East get/deserve a BCS bid?"

I think college football could be very big on the east coast it's just that not enough big time schools play big time football. This is why the Big East started taking teams like Rutgers. They didn't add a damn thing to the league but they had kids they suited up and pretended to play football. Think about it, there is really no high major 1A football played in the NYC market. Temple tries in Philly but Rutgers got them tossed from the Big East and when they got readmitted everyone left. Poor Temple is screwed.

Bluejay wrote:
Everything that Big East basketball was, Big East football was not.

Amen to that!
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 am

cujaysfan wrote:notre dame wasn't a member of BE for football - nor are they of the ACC

not sure what people don't understand about that

and we don't need to go any further in the analysis of the situation, only the B1G handled ND the way they should be handled. You're either with us as an affiliate or you're not.
BEwannabe

Postby BillEsq » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 am

LOL how did this turn into a bash ND thing?

1. ND Football not joining the BE would not have saved or hindered the BE. The reason$ surrounding the the realignment issue$ would have led to an eventual break up of the BE basketball v football at some point regardless. If anything ND aligning with the BE allowed it to keep its football program as an independent and held off the realignment process by almost a decade. Unfortunately if your a traditional fan of college sports you have to realize that ND's independence is one of the few straws left holding back a complete realignment and drastic changes to the entire Division 1.

The fact is in today's sports world there is no way a league half comprised of FBS schools and half basketball only can exist successfully. The OBE was great, had some great rivalries, and will always in my mind remind me of the way things used to and ought to be. However, that time has gone.

I can say if you like the old way. Supporting ND's archaic Independence and stroking Texas'$ ego is the way to go. Because once those two Domino's fall we will see just how radical realignment can be.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board