What is the relationship between your school & the state one

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What is the relationship between your school & the state

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 am

I have always been a Notre Dame fan in football, but to be honest I couldn't enjoy their great season last year after they jumped to the ACC. I was glad they kept winning, but didn't invest any time in them, and I don't think I watched any of their games after they bolted, except the first half of the Alabama blowout.

They really pissed off a lot of their northeastern fans. Irish football really owns (owned) New York and New England. Going into this season, I really have lost even more interest in them. Is Golson back? Te'o was an embarrassment. I think an overlooked intangible by the northeastern football schools is how much the Big East schools will now absolutely dislike their schools. Like, Syracuse and Pitt think they own New York or something, and count on casual fans to pull for them I guess, but they will get no following outside of their nearby alums. For example, the Syracuse - Southern Cal game got terrible attendance at the Meadowlands.

I'll probably follow Navy football now, because they're one of the few football schools that hasn't pissed me off. Plus Southern Cal and UCLA, because I can at least admire the USC Song Girls and UCLA cheerleaders...! But I'm basically through with the Irish, unless Brian Kelly calls me personally to apologize, and Swarbick sends my sons jerseys.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 am

it's hardly notre dame's fault the old BE fell apart - syracuse, pitt, boston college, rutgers, virginia tech and west virginia all left before ND made their jump. plus - ND made the old BE's bowl tie-ins possible.

plus - i think butler, xavier and CU fans are glad that it did falter opening the door for our membership.
cujaysfan

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

cujaysfan wrote:it's hardly notre dame's fault the old BE fell apart - syracuse, pitt, boston college, rutgers, virginia tech and west virginia all left before ND made their jump. plus - ND made the old BE's bowl tie-ins possible.

plus - i think butler, xavier and CU fans are glad that it did falter opening the door for our membership.

Right, I like how it played out in the end with XU, Butler and Creighton joining us, with their fans and hoops-first priority. But I think Notre Dame started the ball rolling again last Fall though, when unexpectedly and without warning they jumped to the ACC, our archrival conference. When I think of Notre Dame hoops, I think of their old rivalries with DePaul and Marquette, not their newer games vs Pitt and Syracuse, never mind Clemson and Va Tech.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BEwannabe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Had Notre Dame committed to BE football, then the conference would still be intact and the ACC would be the conference in a world of hurt. None of the schools would've ever left BE if they had a footbal conference headlined by ND and it would've been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out.
BEwannabe

Postby yorost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:58 pm

My gut feeling in watching all of this unfold is that Notre Dame and the Seven were fairly close through it all. Both sides may have known the other was looking at leaving soon. It makes sense if they were in on any contingency plans with our schools over the past few years.

I'm disappointed our rivalry with them isn't continuing. Never loved it much myself, since I was at Marquette over some off years in the series, but I know a lot of fans do. I thought I read both AD's wanted to play the game, but apparently there are now no plans for future games. Hopefully that changes.
yorost

Postby nathanhm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 pm

BEwannabe wrote:Had Notre Dame committed to BE football, then the conference would still be intact and the ACC would be the conference in a world of hurt. None of the schools would've ever left BE if they had a footbal conference headlined by ND and it would've been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out.

This.
nathanhm

Postby Bluejay » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 pm

BEwannabe wrote:Had Notre Dame committed to BE football, then the conference would still be intact and the ACC would be the conference in a world of hurt. None of the schools would've ever left BE if they had a footbal conference headlined by ND and it would've been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out.

It might have stayed together, but no way in hell would it have "been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out."

This may be news to those residing on the east coast, but in the midwest and the south, where college football is a much bigger deal, Big East football was always the subject of jokes and ridicule. The most common refrain, even before the most recent football departures, was "How in the heck does the Big East get/deserve a BCS bid?" Many considred the MWC to be a better FB conference and, in the most recent past, it is hard to argue that point. Let's be honest, even with Notre Dame, the rest of the big east football programs were pretty weak, especially when compared to the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, etc. Despite winning the BE, UConn, PItt and Louisville's football programs at their absolute best would have had a hard time competing against the best teams from the other conferences. Add to that the fact that for most of the last decade, last year notwithstanding, Notre Dame was not really one of the top programs either.

Everything that Big East basketball was, Big East football was not.
Bluejay

Postby yorost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I think the idea is based on Notre Dame joining more than a decade ago, thus preventing the first ACC raid.
yorost

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:13 pm

I used to be a semi Buckeye fan until Thad Matta left X after three succesful seasons(last one leading to the school's first ever Elite 8). While not begrudging anyone an opportunity to move up the ladder TM bungled his exit so badly it left a bad taste in many of the Muskie Faithful. Combine that with the NCAA tournament game where X had the #1 seeded Buckeyes beat (horrible flagrant no call foul) in the season where they played in the Championship game pretty much has me sending bad karma north to anything to do with THE state school of Ohio.
DanofXav76

Postby Blue boy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Bluejay wrote:

It might have stayed together, but no way in hell would it have "been 1 of the best conferences in college football, year in and out."

This may be news to those residing on the east coast, but in the midwest and the south, where college football is a much bigger deal, Big East football was always the subject of jokes and ridicule. The most common refrain, even before the most recent football departures, was "How in the heck does the Big East get/deserve a BCS bid?" Many considred the MWC to be a better FB conference and, in the most recent past, it is hard to argue that point. Let's be honest, even with Notre Dame, the rest of the big east football programs were pretty weak, especially when compared to the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, etc. Despite winning the BE, UConn, PItt and Louisville's football programs at their absolute best would have had a hard time competing against the best teams from the other conferences. Add to that the fact that for most of the last decade, last year notwithstanding, Notre Dame was not really one of the top programs either.

Everything that Big East basketball was, Big East football was not.

Big East Football would be....
Norte Dame
PItt
Syracuse
Va Tech
Miami
Boston College
West Virgina
Rutgers
Temple
Uconn (if they move up)

7 name brands with Norte Dame as leader. That conference would be in the discussion as much as ACC.

ACC Conference
Clemson
Duke
MD
NC
NC State
South Carolina
VA
Wake Forrest
GA Tech
FSU
Blue boy