What is the relationship between your school & the state one

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 am

A topic that comes up here a lot is dual-fandom between Creighton and Nebraska. The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have. I wondered if this is typical for Marquette with Wisconsin, Xavier with Ohio St, and so on. Even the Big East schools that field football teams I suspect see some of this.

What percentage of your fans dislike the main state school vs support them in other areas?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What is the relationship between your school & the state

Postby butlerguy03 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:25 am

Butler fans generally are anti-IU (especially in basketball). Indifferent on Purdue, IUPUI, IPFW, Ball State & Indiana State.

In fact, I can honestly tell you I wish IU would lose every game in every sport. Sooooooooo many fans that have absolutely no connection to the University.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby marquette » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am

Personally, as the son of a Wisconsin alum on one side and a Uconn alum on the other, I was raised supporting both of those schools. Any time they are playing anyone except Marquette or other Big East schools I support them. There are others that feel similarly, but my general experience has been that Marquette fans hate Wisconsin. It doesn't matter what sport.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am

You need to understand the nature of Ohio in order to understand my response to the question. Cincinnati has always been its own "island" in the State. That may seem odd, but, unlike other cities in Ohio, Cincinnati's world does not orbit around Columbus for anything, much less anything having to do with Ohio State sports.

Compounding the issue for Xavier is the fact that we have UC in town as a large state school. Most here probably know the Xavier v. UC rivalry is one of the top rate basketball rivalries in the country. So, I believe the in-town relationship with UC soaks up a lot of attention that would have otherwise been available for directing towards the Buckeyes. Besides, Ohio State avoids playing the other key programs in Ohio. That's another key reason they don't make the radar screen in this regard.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby yorost » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 am

Omaha1 wrote:A topic that comes up here a lot is dual-fandom between Creighton and Nebraska. The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have. I wondered if this is typical for Marquette with Wisconsin, Xavier with Ohio St, and so on. Even the Big East schools that field football teams I suspect see some of this.

What percentage of your fans dislike the main state school vs support them in other areas?

Don't know about percentage, but yes, many Marquette fans cheer for Wisconsin in football and hockey. ...and even their basketball. It's just people like me, Wisconsinites, which is around 30% of the student population. They still represent our state, we grew up cheering for them. It's not like going to Marquette changes where we're from. I'm much less passionate about Wisconsin basketball since going to Marquette, but I wish them well. I'd love it if all four of our DI schools were competing at the top of their conferences.

I think that gets to why I hate even calling them a rival. They are, kind of, both sides definitely have a little more interest in the game, but Wisconsinites are super homers. I know a handful of people on either side that say they 'hate' the other, but I know way too many others on both sides that are happy to cheer for both, or at least grudgingly 'support' the other. After all, do you really want a Coastie team beating something from our state?

marquette wrote:Personally, as the son of a Wisconsin alum on one side and a Uconn alum on the other, I was raised supporting both of those schools. Any time they are playing anyone except Marquette or other Big East schools I support them. There are others that feel similarly, but my general experience has been that Marquette fans hate Wisconsin. It doesn't matter what sport.

I only ever got that impression on the internet. :lol: Fans from outside Wisconsin, most of the campus, didn't tend to care one way or the other, in my experience.
yorost

Postby aughnanure » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 am

yorost wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:A topic that comes up here a lot is dual-fandom between Creighton and Nebraska. The diehard Bluejays fans hate everything about the Huskers but there's a large segment who grew up in the state somewhere who root for them in football which we don't have. I wondered if this is typical for Marquette with Wisconsin, Xavier with Ohio St, and so on. Even the Big East schools that field football teams I suspect see some of this.

Don't know about percentage, but yes, many Marquette fans cheer for Wisconsin in football and hockey. ...and even their basketball. It's just people like me, Wisconsinites, which is around 30% of the student population. They still represent our state, we grew up cheering for them. It's not like going to Marquette changes where we're from. I'm much less passionate about Wisconsin basketball since going to Marquette, but I wish them well. I'd love it if all four of our DI schools were competing at the top of their conferences.

I think that gets to why I hate even calling them a rival. They are, kind of, both sides definitely have a little more interest in the game, but Wisconsinites are super homers. I know a handful of people on either side that say they 'hate' the other, but I know way too many others on both sides that are happy to cheer for both, or at least grudgingly 'support' the other. After all, do you really want a Coastie team beating something from our state?

marquette wrote:Personally, as the son of a Wisconsin alum on one side and a Uconn alum on the other, I was raised supporting both of those schools. Any time they are playing anyone except Marquette or other Big East schools I support them. There are others that feel similarly, but my general experience has been that Marquette fans hate Wisconsin. It doesn't matter what sport.

I only ever got that impression on the internet. :lol: Fans from outside Wisconsin, most of the campus, didn't tend to care one way or the other, in my experience.

Many? I doubt that guesstimate. I don't know who you're talking to - but I'd wager closer to 90% root against Bucky in all things except football. And even football has become a stretch for many I know since their fans can be absolutely nauseating.

I'm not from Wisconsin, but I don;t know why'd you want the 3 other public schools getting in the tourney. It doesn't help Marquette at all, and could hurt us as having to compete now against more than 1 other school in the state. I'd rather dominate the state and see WI return to their doormat status. Their fans are insufferable arrogant pricks (for really no good reasons) and I enjoy when they lose and/or score below 40 points.

The media, even in Milwaukee, is especially anti-Marquette.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Xudash wrote:Most here probably know the Xavier v. UC rivalry is one of the top rate basketball rivalries in the country.

"Top Rate Basketball Rivalry" is a little bold, especially when one team has never made it to a Final Four and the other has one 2 national championships (though they were in 61 and 62). I hope that top rate rung in pretty inclusive.
cm5yz6

Postby Dew » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 pm

The media, even in Milwaukee, is especially anti-Marquette.

Why is that?
Dew

Postby xavier1994 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:34 pm

cm5yz6 wrote:
Xudash wrote:Most here probably know the Xavier v. UC rivalry is one of the top rate basketball rivalries in the country.

"Top Rate Basketball Rivalry" is a little bold, especially when one team has never made it to a Final Four and the other has one 2 national championships (though they were in 61 and 62). I hope that top rate rung in pretty inclusive.

"ONE of the top rate(d) basketball rivalries" Congrats to UC for winning 2 national championships 50 years ago! Personally, I would love to drop that mid major team from the AAC
xavier1994

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Nova, like many NEast schools are probably a little different. First there really are no GREAT colege FB programs our way. I grew up in PA so I grew up a PSU FB fan and Nova hoops fan. PSU has always sucked in hoops and Nova does not have big time FB, so it was easy to root for each separately. Many Nova alums, though, are from NJ (Rutgers--enough said), NY (Syr?/nada), CT and DC/MD area (U of MD was never a pwerhouse). No big time college FB anywhere along that corridor. So most FB rivalries center around the NFL, not the state schools.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board