Superconferences and the NCAA tournament

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Dew » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 pm

I've wondered this out loud and no one ever has a real answer. In this age of massive conference realignment and discussion of the eventuality of the BCS leagues forming into 4 sixteen team superconferences, is there a risk that all other leagues could be left out of the NCAA tournament? They would have the 64 teams that they would need and since the BCS leagues have the power to negotiate a football playoff, they could certainly work around the NCAA and CBS and host their own March Madness event too.

Is this a worry? People will say the tournament wouldn't be the same without Cinderella and I agree, but the guys writing the checks might not care like we do.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Superconferences and the NCAA tournament

Postby jkc_dawgs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm

As a fan I am not worried because if this deal does get done with BU, X, Creighton, and more you can't tell anybody that anything outside of the Big 10 and the ACC will be better than this conference. SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12 really don't have the depth that this conference will have.
jkc_dawgs

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:23 pm

You don't think Jim Delaney and Mike Slive are doing the math on this already?
Peter

Postby jkc_dawgs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Penn St, Georgia, Utah, Nebraska, and some others are so bad they would just never let it happen.
jkc_dawgs

Postby LabRatScott » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:10 pm

We could just go to 16 and include any decent mid major and then there could be 80 teams in the NCAA tournament. The worst 32 of the group have an extra play in round to determine the final 16 teams in. That would be great TV.
LabRatScott

Postby Xudash » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Two things:

- I believe they're solving for football only; and
- There are two key dimensions to the existing tournament - the "Cinderella" factor as mentioned above, as well the inclusive nature of it.

They'll annihilate the first weekend and at least some of the second weekend if they turn it into a club deal. The dollars from TV would adjust accordingly as the Nielsen Ratings provide the lower ratings results. And that's just the "market forces" side of it. Everything else from ill will to legal action could otherwise ensue.

My opinion. If you find it to be logical and rather obvious, then we should probably actually be worried.
Xudash

Postby Bluejay » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm

I've thought all along that once they get done screwing with football, the BCS types come after basketball next. That is why this new conference is so important. We have a limited time to establish a dominant, basketball-centered conference that can compete consistently with the BCsers. We have to make it impossible for them to keep us out. Since we don't play football, it wouldn't be as threatening to include us because they will never have to share their FB money with us.
Bluejay

Postby admin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:29 am

I think anything is possible. If this new league can get established as a major player, we'll be okay at least. Can't say the same for some of the others though.
admin
Site Admin

Postby novajoe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 am

admin wrote:I think anything is possible. If this new league can get established as a major player, we'll be okay at least. Can't say the same for some of the others though.

I think the 4 super conferences will break away from the NCAA.....In all sports...They already have the Best football programs...and most of the best BB programs....they won't need the NCAA...Not at all...They then can govern themselves....and keep all of the money...it's all about the money!!!!
novajoe

Postby BE 7 Conference fan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:49 am

novajoe wrote:it's all about the money!!!!

Agreed. With BCS schools it is always about the money.
BE 7 Conference fan

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board