Master List of Big East Schools OOC In Last 5 Years...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Master List of Big East Schools OOC In Last 5 Years...

Postby billyjack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:36 am

BillEsq wrote:Jack, now that i've seen the rest of your posts i acknowledge that you put a lot of work into it and it is a job well done.

My initial critique was based upon a post that generalized majors, mid majors and the field. You properly addressed this as a flaw and your in depth subsequent posting allows for others to see who they played which helps clear things up.

I focused on the weakest conferences because that was what EPR JR focused on in his post. I was responding to his post not necessarily yours in that regard. I don't want to belabor defending BC who by all accounts was not a good team last year but a loss for BC to Holy Cross or BU is quite different than a loss by a BE team to the same squads. One they are cross town games so there is no home court advantage. Second I think BU put several NCAA qualifying teams on the floor during that time period as did Holy Cross one year.

I agree that there are serious flaws with the RPI but I think classifying teams as top 50 teams, top 100 teams, top 200 teams and the rest works a bit better than major/mid major/field. Lets face it last year a field team Davidson was heads over heals better than Evansville who was clearly better than Auburn. The joy of college hoops is that i could come up with dozens of situations where weaker is better than mid-major who is better than Auburn. While no system is perfect i do think that RPI/Sagrin or one of a 100 others (not BPI) could be used. I only suggest RPI as it is what the NCAA uses.

Overall now that i have seen the details of your subsequent posts i am impressed at the amount of time and effort you put into your review. I withdraw any negative criticism

BillEsq, thanks for the post! No worries, I appreciate your response!
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby QueRico » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm

billyjack wrote:I started this list to see how the 10 of us fared against the 5 other so-called "major" conferences (actually, I looked at Seton Hall to start (because for some reason they get unfairly criticized), and the Pirates results looked pretty solid, at least as good as a run-of-the-mill non-criticized ACC team). The numbers looked great, especially compared to what a lot of anti-Big East people were claiming.

Thank you.
Hazard Zet Forward!
QueRico

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board