College World Series in Omaha

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 am

Caught a bit of a game yesterday and looked like a tremendous atmosphere. What does Creighton draw for games? Has there even been discussion about a MLB team relocating?
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: College World Series in Omaha

Postby JayWalking » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 am

I am a CU baseball (and basketball) season ticket baseball holder. Creighton average attendance for baseball games is around 3500 per game. In early April, there could be a lonely 500-1000 people in attendance. It always looks pretty empty since it is such a huge stadium. The Nebraska/Creighton games (2 a year) draw somewhere around 8-10k, again, depending on the weather.

As far as a MLB, I WOULD LOVE IT, but there has been no talk of it at all. We have a triple A, Royals Farm Team, that actually built there own stadium because it was becoming a hassle to work around the CWS. There has been talk about getting another minor league team to the Ameritrade Stadium. It would most likely be a single or double A,
JayWalking

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 am

Creighton draws about 2000 a game which ranks 10th in the country. Weather this year was bad or attendance would have been better. There have been talk about teams like Oakland moving but its never serious.
Jet915

Postby Blue boy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:09 am

admin wrote:Caught a bit of a game yesterday and looked like a tremendous atmosphere. What does Creighton draw for games? Has there even been discussion about a MLB team relocating?

AAA Royals get 5,200 people per game at the 9,000 seat stadium south of Omaha. Well under 18,000 the worst major league team gets.

Another probelm with MLB at TD Ameritrade is the 2 weeks of road trips that they need to have during June. It really main reason that Omaha Stormchasers did not go to the downtown park ( besides being too large for AAA baseball).
Blue boy

Postby NCWildcat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 pm

When was the last time a 'New' BigEast team played in the CWS? Ever?
I go back almost 18 years and don't recall a Big East team ever participating.....
NCWildcat

Postby Jays26 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:16 pm

NCWildcat wrote:When was the last time a 'New' BigEast team played in the CWS? Ever?
I go back almost 18 years and don't recall a Big East team ever participating.....

The Jays were in the 1991 CWS. Not sure about the others.
Jays26

Postby Blue boy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Jays26 wrote:
NCWildcat wrote:When was the last time a 'New' BigEast team played in the CWS? Ever?

St John's would be 1980

*** Name Northeast team who made 5 appearances since 1980?***
Blue boy

Postby NCWildcat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Blue boy wrote:
Jays26 wrote:

St John's would be 1980

Wow - so it's been 22 years since a Big East team even made the CWS - that is slightly sad.
All the other 'major' conferences seem to have had a major presence in the CWS.

Lets hope we can push our basketball and baseball teams into the championships in the next few years. It will be a very lofty goal. I guess when you think about it, no Big East team has even won a National Championship in a 'major' sport in almost 30 yeas (football/basketball/baseball).......

* I don't count D1-AA whatever it's called, as that gets little to no respect/tv/discussion
NCWildcat

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 pm

admin wrote:Caught a bit of a game yesterday and looked like a tremendous atmosphere. What does Creighton draw for games? Has there even been discussion about a MLB team relocating?

The inequality in MLB revenue would be the issue for a small market team like Omaha, not the attendance. Our TV deal would bring only a speck of money compared to the teams we'd be competing against which is baseball's biggest problem and isn't a factor in the NFL or NBA.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Unfortunately, NCAA baseball is hampered by weather. The southern conferences are all "majors" it seems while teams from the midwest and north are mid-majors because it's freakin cold in March/April/May when half of the season is played. Creighton is on the road for like the first month of the season. The Big East is currently not a major conference for baseball, neither is the Big Ten (Indiana made the CWS this year but before them, the last Big Ten team to make it was from the 80s I believe).
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board