Would we accept Uconn if their football was in MAC?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Would we accept Uconn if their football was in MAC?

Postby billyjack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 am

BillEsq wrote:
billyjack wrote:
Dave wrote:...The new Big East is really more of a default path of least resistance, made possible by Fox Sports' proactive positioning, than a grand plan by C7 ADs and presidents.

ESPN, our rival leagues, and their flying-monkey talking heads in football land all want everyone to think this.

I dunno i argued that the C7 had a plan from the get go till i was blue in my face... unfortunately the facts have not backed up my early opinions. I said before that i would be shocked if they C7 presidents would just simply jump into this, but unfortunately i have to admit that i am shocked. I could be wrong but this looks pretty much like it was haphazardly done.

Jack if you can prove to me that the C7 had this all planed out... I be happy as it would mean that both I and my oatmeal would have been right. Unfortunately i think we are both eating crow....

BillEsq-- I would agree with BostonFriar and Redmen9194 below...
The group of basketball schools expected football to break off after the 5 year period starting in 2005 (I think). The football schools had an option to break as a group of 8 (or 9 with TCU) without having to pay an exit fee. So at least since 2005, the "C-7" (which actually included Notre Dame as well at one point) were prepared as a group for a split. The idea was generally understood to be to invite Xavier and then probably one or more of Dayton, Saint Louis, and later when they broke on the scene, Butler. More generally as well was to ideally get back to a home-and-away with each school, like in the old days. Old school Big East fans always felt that this new setup would be valuable. Our goal was to keep the Garden, which we did. Our goal was to have a great TV lineup on a great sports network, which we have. Our goal was to invite 3 outstanding schools, which we have done.

As far as where we stand right now in June-- I don't see any problem. The C-7 invited three outstanding schools in March. From what we've heard, the 10 of us get along great and have been working together to put fall schedules together.

As far as supposed negatives-- none of which are a problem except in the mind of Mark Blaudschun Jersey Guy and dopes at ESPN:
1) no commissioner-- I'm not sure how important the position is, especially at this time. Mark Blaudschun and ESPN keep telling us that it's important. What pressing problem would a commissioner have to try to solve? I don't get it. The 10 schools have everything in place.
2) fall schedules-- soccer schedules are complete.
3) "being able to schedule games in NBA arenas"-- ??? --- I guess Mark Blaudschun and/or ESPN have decided to push this narrative. I don't get it. What's the problem? We've all been playing in NBA arenas for 30+ years. Why is this now a problem scheduling-wise? Seton Hall has played at the Meadowlands and now Newark for 30+ years. Their only fellow-tenant is the NJ Devils. Xavier, Creighton and Butler play in their own arenas.

Basically, ESPN and apparently ajerseyguy (and rival leagues like the ACC which are owned by ESPN) are throwing monkey poop at the wall and hoping something will stick, with the intent to undermine us. Here's an example:
4) the ACC will get Madison Square Garden for their tourney. People that live in the northeast who have followed the sport can see that MSG wanted to keep the Big East. This bogus debate went on for 6 months.

Here's an example of another talking point that made/makes no sense:
5) losing Pitt is a really bad blow to the Big East. Nobody in NYC cares about Pitt any more than they care about West Virginia... seriously, did West Virginia even get mentioned once during our BE Tourney in March?

Gotta go...
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Jack... all good points... and for the record i have long posted on here that Jersey Guy is a hack... to the extent that anything i say happens to match something that he posts ill credit to pure happenstance. I am also aware that ESPN is biased and i rarely follow the talking heads... ESPN's knownothings have been next to useless in all sports for some time now. I also would fully expect that ESPN would be blasting the BE even if i was happy with what i knew of their business plan. I try to ignore them at all costs.

However simply because these guys are hacks and the fact that the C7 had a out clause and an idea that they would at some time set up a league does not mean that they were well prepared this time.

Looking at your points...
1. A Commissioner is very important, the Commissioner is the face of the league at worst and at best is its driving factor. Having a strong commissioner helps the league with marketing, NCAA politics, and helps keep the league focused and operating smoothly. When you don't have a commish you are at a sever disadvantage in these factors. Furthermore all three factors especially the first two are very important in assisting the league national profile which will directly correspond to future potential tournament appearances. Unfortunately not every team can go undefeated and the difference between bubble teams is minimal. A league properly marketed by a strong commish can for example get its teams into stronger preseason tourneys which allows for a higher possible league rpi which allows for a better chance to get more teams in the tournament. There are many other ways a strong focused league office can assist schools but i'll refrain at this time from posting them.

2. The scheduling thing has little to do with a commissioner and i agree with you that people who point to basic scheduling as a sign of a week conference obviously know little about sports. While i'd argue that 12 teams would make for better scheduling. There is no reason a league of any size couldn't make the schedules without a commish. Essentially scheduling is done by the individual schools ADs. The League only is involved in Conference scheduling and well its not too hard to develop a round robin for 10 teams. The schools are well adjusted for balancing their schedules in there current arena's so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Anyone who talks about need a commish to schedule games at NBA arena's has no clue what they are talking about.

3. See above i'm in complete agreement with you.

4. The BE does have to be somewhat concerned with loosing MSG. The obviously paid for its rights and it would be a disaster to loose it through the MSG out clause. By loosing some of the bigger schools and moving midwest the BE will be responsible to bring a high level of ball to the arena asap. It cannot wait for a few years to get rolling. Having a Commish to coordinate packing MSG while not necessary would be a huge benefit to the league. I for one don't see the ACC moving to MSG year round. There is no way Tobacco Road agrees to anything less than games in North Carolina every other year and I'm not sure they will be willing to give up that much. ESPN will have to pay the NC4 serious $ to change their vote.

5. The only people who care about WV are people who go to Marshall. Pitt while a solid school is not that big of a deal for MSG. Its UConn and Syracuse that MSG will miss.

6. I still don't think that the league was very prepared when they dove into this and not having a Commish at this point in the game will only hurt the BE. The AD's have a job to do, its run a athletic department for a school which is a time consuming task in itself. (unless you are DePauls) Likewise Presidents are there to make money for their particular schools. I'm sure everyone is working together but lets face it AD's have a job to do and they will do what they can for the league but lets face it you only have so much time and resources. It also looks like the Presidents are still very involved in the league operation. I encourage you that this is a very very bad idea. Presidents need to milk money cows, smile, and care take their respective schools. All good things and i'm sure all the various presidents are good at their tasks but I don't think they can possibly spend the time on the league that is needed. I suggest that the league would be far better off with a head of its own.
BillEsq

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm

6. Strong Commissioner needed.
Most of these presidents are not athletics oriented. They did not manage well in the Big East. The ADs are not strong. These are not the most desirable programs, and the programs don't seek top ADs. A strong commissioner is needed, but it is not a priority for the presidents. Another mistake.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby QueRico » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 am

Just to add to the NBA arena point - for most of those years Seton Hall was scheduling around an NHL team AND an NBA team. Not to mention the myriad other events competing for space. Never a big deal before & only a problem now because of mud slinging.
QueRico

Postby BEX » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 pm

The new Big East is really more of a default path of least resistance, made possible by Fox Sports' proactive positioning[/quote]

A position they were willing to pay %500 million for. Next.
BEX

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board