Would we accept Uconn if their football was in MAC?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Would we accept Uconn if their football was in MAC?

Postby cujaysfan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 pm

HELL NO!

they have football so their membership would be tenuous at best

they do not fit the profile of smaller private religious institution

they are not interested in doing business the way the other member schools do - employing calhoun and allowing him to cheat as he pleased for 20 years isn't exactly the kind of institution that i would like to be associated with

they aren't terribly interested in graduating their athletes as their dreadful APR and exclusion from last year's NCAAs proves.
cujaysfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 am

How would the community feel if Nova stepped up as FB only to the MAC or AAC?

It won't happen in the current regime, but could in the next.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby yorost » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am

cujaysfan wrote:they do not fit the profile of smaller private religious institution

Bleh. This is a sports conference based around basketball. Butler isn't religious, only has roots in religion. DePaul isn't really smaller, and others aren't really small universities. VCU is public and has a shot in the next round.

I agree institutional fit probably means no FBS, though.

cujaysfan wrote:they are not interested in doing business the way the other member schools do - employing calhoun and allowing him to cheat as he pleased for 20 years isn't exactly the kind of institution that i would like to be associated with

:lol: You think all of our schools are immune to questionable ethics?

cujaysfan wrote:they aren't terribly interested in graduating their athletes as their dreadful APR and exclusion from last year's NCAAs proves.

Right, because we don't have any schools facing problems with APR. :roll:

---------------------

Holier than thou towards UConn is ridiculous. We'd take them in a flash if they didn't have FBS and they'd have been part of the original group had they been willing.
yorost

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 am

The only issue with UConn is FBS football. If they didn't have it, they would be in no questions asked. If they decided to drop it, they would be in no questions asked. We should not invite anyone with FBS football period.
redmen9194

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 am

yorost wrote:
cujaysfan wrote:they do not fit the profile of smaller private religious institution

Bleh. This is a sports conference based around basketball. Butler isn't religious, only has roots in religion. DePaul isn't really smaller, and others aren't really small universities. VCU is public and has a shot in the next round.

I agree institutional fit probably means no FBS, though.

cujaysfan wrote:they are not interested in doing business the way the other member schools do - employing calhoun and allowing him to cheat as he pleased for 20 years isn't exactly the kind of institution that i would like to be associated with

:lol: You think all of our schools are immune to questionable ethics?

cujaysfan wrote:they aren't terribly interested in graduating their athletes as their dreadful APR and exclusion from last year's NCAAs proves.

Right, because we don't have any schools facing problems with APR. :roll:

Holier than thou towards UConn is ridiculous. We'd take them in a flash if they didn't have FBS and they'd have been part of the original group had they been willing.

---------------------
butler and depaul fit the profile one helluva lot more than uconn. uconn is the exact opposite of the profile. if you don't think this matters to the BE presidents - you haven't been paying attention.

i know this - ethics are important at creighton. if they aren't at marquette - then i question why MU is even in business. if you're an alum and don't think your house is in order - then take steps to get it cleaned up. we should demand that all BE institutions operate on a legal, level playing field.

if you think your school is deficient in graduating its student athletes - demand better.

my hope is that the BE excels both on and off the court and will be an example to the rest of college athletics of how things should operate.

your post is embarrassing. if the only thing that's important to you is winning - then perhaps you should go get some kentucky gear.
cujaysfan

Postby yorost » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

:lol: Where did I talk about Marquette? Where did I say I had no problem with UConn's issues?

You acting like we're above UConn is what gets me, and anything we can demand our schools do better, their students/alum can as well. They're improving their APR issue and moving on, but we're in danger of Providence losing post season eligibility because of it.
yorost

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am

Providence losing post season eligibility? Doesn't seem like a meaningful sanction.

UConn would be a great add. It would be the one school you add to get to 11, with a true 20 game double round robin conference schedule.

Public? Not religious? FBS football? Doesn't matter. This is a Hoops-first conference. They are a great Hoops brand and would be a great add to the conference. NYC. MSG. FS1. Titles.

Are we somehow holier than UConn? I don't think so.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby BillEsq » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Dave wrote:Providence losing post season eligibility? Doesn't seem like a meaningful sanction.

UConn would be a great add. It would be the one school you add to get to 11, with a true 20 game double round robin conference schedule.

Public? Not religious? FBS football? Doesn't matter. This is a Hoops-first conference. They are a great Hoops brand and would be a great add to the conference. NYC. MSG. FS1. Titles.

Are we somehow holier than UConn? I don't think so.

I swore 10 teams 18 games was the true round robin schedule.... I swear you round robin advocates need to get yourselves on the same page. At this rate we will have people advocating a 18 team 36 game true round robin conference schedule.

FBS does matter and UConn would not be a good add for that reason, they would not be hoops first.

On a side note any team that does hope to join the MAC as a FBS only school has to schedule 4 MAC teams in their OOC 2 home and 2 away. LOL i can't wait to see the UCONN at Kent State game...
BillEsq

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 pm

BillEsq wrote:
I swore 10 teams 18 games was the true round robin schedule.... I swear you round robin advocates need to get yourselves on the same page. At this rate we will have people advocating a 18 team 36 game true round robin conference schedule.

A true double round robin is playing every team twice. So 10 teams/18 games and 11 teams/20 games are both true double round robing conference schedules.

At 12 teams, 22 in conference games starts to become too many. Not enough games left for the desired out of conference scheduling.

What 1 team is worth going to 11? St Louis? VCU? Zags? Dayton? No, No, No, No. I'd stay at 10 unless there was a program that would be a real positive difference maker in the profile of the conference. UConn is the only real candidate in that category.

UConn football is not going MAC. They are already in a better conference.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby BillEsq » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Dave wrote:
BillEsq wrote:

A true double round robin is playing every team twice. So 10 teams/18 games and 11 teams/20 games are both true double round robing conference schedules.

At 12 teams, 22 in conference games starts to become too many. Not enough games left for the desired out of conference scheduling.

What 1 team is worth going to 11? St Louis? VCU? Zags? Dayton? No, No, No, No. I'd stay at 10 unless there was a program that would be a real positive difference maker in the profile of the conference. UConn is the only real candidate in that category.

UConn football is not going MAC. They are already in a better conference.

LOL sure.......

obviously Zags would be better outside of location, personally VCU and SLU would be better league wise, hell Dayton too. UConn prays to the football gods now... :lol: seriously 11 sucks so bad as a conference number that I would argue that no team outside of a UK, UL, Duke, NC, Kansas, Indiana would be worth moving to just 11 and UConn isn't even close to the caliber of these schools. However these schools do have one thing in common with UConn. They are FBS schools who have a 0% chance of moving to the BE.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board