Thoughts on DePaul

The home for Big East hoops

Thoughts on DePaul

Postby rickyzza » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey, I just wanted to collect some thoughts on DePaul this upcoming season as well as shamelessly promote a blog I started. Anyway, here is a link to the previously mentioned blog, it's a blog featuring Big East hoops. I wanted to start it out by doing a countdown of my projected standings, going 12 to 1, so I led off with DePaul, for obvious reasons. Read it if you want, but incase you don't want to, I'll summarize. I think DePaul, like they've been doing, will really struggle this year(See, I'm giving great insight already). Along with posting my blog, I actually wanted to get some thoughts on the future of DePaul as well. They have eight juniors and seniors on this years squad, and they are bringing in Garrett and Curington, two nice pieces. Anybody feel that, even though Melvin and Young have been the ONLY positive for DePaul lately, once this class moves through maybe things start to look up? To show no defensive improvement over their three years is a question mark. Maybe a fresh start after these next two seasons will do the DePaul a great favor.

http://holyhoopsoftheeast.blogspot.com/
rickyzza

Thoughts on DePaul

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on DePaul

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm

12? I think there are only 10 teams in the Big East next year.
Jet915

Postby BillEsq » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Jet915 wrote:12? I think there are only 10 teams in the Big East next year.

Actually he is correct there are 12 teams.

I'll rank them in order...
1-9 your choice of Butler, Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Villanova, Xavier
10 Team that might be named later
11 Team that might be named later
12 DePaul

Unfortunately until Jean Lenti Ponsetto is fired I doubt anything will happen on the DePaul front, which is truly tragic and serious bad for the overall health of the BE. That said there is always hope.
BillEsq

Postby rickyzza » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm

:lol:

Not off to the best start, am I? :lol: I should go with what Bill said and say it was intentional, but it was a miscalculation on my part.
rickyzza

Postby rickyzza » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Are there any DePaul fans here? I'd like to get their opinions/expectations on the incoming players for DePaul as well as a ballpark of a rotation.
rickyzza

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Good luck finding DePaul fans, I think there might be one or two on here but they don't post often, I think they are in hiding.
Jet915

Postby BillEsq » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

if you see someone with an avatar of a person with a box or bag over there head they are likely either

a. the token Depaul fan of the board
b. members/fans of Daft Punk
BillEsq

Postby rickyzza » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Alright, good to know. It really is unfortunate that more doesn't happen with the program, maybe once all the stadium dust settles they can start taking some baby steps. I'm curious as to what kind of lifespan Purnell has at DePaul.
rickyzza

Postby BillEsq » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 pm

rickyzza wrote:Alright, good to know. It really is unfortunate that more doesn't happen with the program, maybe once all the stadium dust settles they can start taking some baby steps. I'm curious as to what kind of lifespan Purnell has at DePaul.

Ricky... DePaul's AD loves Purnell and is slow to fire "her" head coaches. Add in the fact that She is head of title IX and a huge proponent of minority hires and you get a situation where Purnell might be there no matter how badly he does. Since her tenure as AD there has been a huge de focus of mens sports at DePaul, its really sad. I'm all for equality, support women's sports/athletes and as many on here can attest support all non-revs you can't just ignore men's sports. You also just can't ignore the breadwinner programs which is as we all know Mens Basketball. You can take my word for it or look at the numerous blogs demanding her termination. Facts i can help you with but inside info... catch the Chicago Media/blogosphere

On that note good luck on your blog... tried blogging years ago... it requires lots of hard work, dedication, time and focus. (plus the right amount of alcohol). Its fun and rewarding i hope yours does well and you enjoy it.
BillEsq

Postby rickyzza » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm

BillEsq wrote:
rickyzza wrote:Alright, good to know. It really is unfortunate that more doesn't happen with the program, maybe once all the stadium dust settles they can start taking some baby steps. I'm curious as to what kind of lifespan Purnell has at DePaul.

Ricky... DePaul's AD loves Purnell and is slow to fire "her" head coaches. Add in the fact that She is head of title IX and a huge proponent of minority hires and you get a situation where Purnell might be there no matter how badly he does. Since her tenure as AD there has been a huge de focus of mens sports at DePaul, its really sad. I'm all for equality, support women's sports/athletes and as many on here can attest support all non-revs you can't just ignore men's sports. You also just can't ignore the breadwinner programs which is as we all know Mens Basketball. You can take my word for it or look at the numerous blogs demanding her termination. Facts i can help you with but inside info... catch the Chicago Media/blogosphere

On that note good luck on your blog... tried blogging years ago... it requires lots of hard work, dedication, time and focus. (plus the right amount of alcohol). Its fun and rewarding i hope yours does well and you enjoy it.

Thanks, I don't really have too many hopes of it, nor do I plan on making it a centerpiece of my life etc. Hell, half the reason I'm doing it is so I can document when I'm right, and of course neglect or madly edit when I'm wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Purnell. I don't think he's incapable of doing well there, well, no more than anybody else. I'm just not sure what to make of him, I thought he did well at Clemson, I was shocked that he opted for DePaul, I don't know, maybe DePaul is just a deathwish. Sometimes I just wonder if they should say to hell with "coaching" bring in a guy like Paul Hewitt who can get talent and lots of it, like he did at Georgia Tech, just to start some foundation of talent and/or a little desire from players to go there.
rickyzza

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board