Thoughts on DePaul

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Thoughts on DePaul

Postby Demon22 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Are there any DePaul fans here? I'd like to get their opinions/expectations on the incoming players for DePaul as well as a ballpark of a rotation.

Sure...

Let's start with the newcomers...

G Billy Garrett - Highest-rated member of the freshman class, and someone who will likely start from the moment he steps on campus. Not the most athletic player, but he rarely makes mistakes, knows how to run a team, knows how to get the ball to players in the right spots, has a knack to getting to the rim, and can make shots.

G/F RJ Currington - Don't see him as a starter, but he could push for minutes if he can make shots... which is the scouting report. Among DePaul's biggest weaknesses is the lack of consistent outside shooting.

C Tommy Hamilton - The most talented member of the freshman class. Two years ago, he was a Top 20 player nationally. Then he got hurt. And then he (...allegedly...) got fat. And then he went to Florida. When he's playing well, he can do a lot of nice things on the offensive end of the floor. He's got low-post moves, he can rebound, and he can even step outside and shoot the 3. If the rumors are true that he's in better shape than he's been since he was in 8th grade, then he could be a steal. Has the talent to start from Day 1, but he'll probably be part of the 4/5 rotation with Sequele and Marcius.

C Greg Sequele - JuCo post that the coaching staff likes, but he hasn't really put up numbers playing on the same team as the #1 JuCo player in the country. Committed to Washington State out of High School. His coach say he's got "NBA ability", but there's a big difference between having NBA ability and being an NBA player.

C Forrest Robinson - JuCo center that no one rates highly, except for DePaul's coaching staff. Gets garbage time minutes on his JuCo team, and doesn't really produce. Most DePaul fans I know don't expect him to last more than a year.

C Sandi Marcius - Senior transfer from Purdue. Should be a HUGE upgrade from Donnavan Kirk on the defensive end of the floor, but I won't hold my breath looking for much offense. Starter from Day One.

The Rotation should look something like this...

PG: Brandon Young / Durrell McDonald / Billy Garrett
SG: Billy Garrett / Charles McKinney / RJ Currington
SF: Jamie Crockett / RJ Currington
PF: Cleveland Melvin / Greg Sequele / DeJuan Marrero
C: Sandi Marcius / Tommy Hamilton / Forrest Robinson
Demon22

Re: Thoughts on DePaul

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board