Our Commissioner

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Our Commissioner

Postby yorost » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48 pm

BEX wrote:TV deal is done. MSG is done. Schedules are done or being done. Time to print the T-Shirts. My guess the BE staff of 40 people will be split somehow with some going to the "American" on 7/1. We still got a commissioner until 7/1.

Now that the AAC has said it intends to move out of Providnce I suspect you might be right that we take a lot of the current Big East's staff.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheDon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am

Blaudschun saying today that 4 finalists were interviewed. ADs and coaches prefer Gavitt.
TheDon

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 pm

TheDon wrote:Blaudschun saying today that 4 finalists were interviewed. ADs and coaches prefer Gavitt.

So Gavitt is still in the picture? Pick someone already.
Jet915

Postby FriarJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm

yorost wrote:
BEX wrote:TV deal is done. MSG is done. Schedules are done or being done. Time to print the T-Shirts. My guess the BE staff of 40 people will be split somehow with some going to the "American" on 7/1. We still got a commissioner until 7/1.

Now that the AAC has said it intends to move out of Providnce I suspect you might be right that we take a lot of the current Big East's staff.

Where did you hear or read this about the AAC leaving Providence?
FriarJ

Postby yorost » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm not sure, sorry, maybe I'm wrong. I could swear I read, from an Aresco interview some time in the last month, that they are planning on leaving Providence sometime in the next few years, possibly moving to a more Southern location.
yorost

Postby FriarJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 pm

I think he said they have no plans currently. They signed a long lease just 2 years ago.
FriarJ

Postby yorost » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 pm

He definitely had been, but I thought I read pretty recently a change in tone. Not an imminent move or anything, but definite intentions to move.
yorost

Postby paulxu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:08 pm

With a batting average of about .500, I take everything that Jersey guy says with a lot of salt.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby admin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 am

I'm not sure how big of a deal this really is anymore, but people keep talking about it. From katz:

2. The new Big East starts up in less than two weeks -- do you know who the next commissioner will be? Well, neither do the athletic directors, who have been left totally out of the loop. The 10 school presidents have been directing the entire operation, and made a number of runs at professional sports candidates before looking once again at college possibilities. The one person a number of administrators want is the NCAA's Dan Gavitt, who was a longtime associate commissioner in the old Big East. But Gavitt reiterated that he is staying put. The presidents should have done everything in their power to get Gavitt. He would have been perfect, since he understands each of the schools better than most. He also knows the difficulties of scheduling in pro arenas. Managing that issue, leading and organizing the league will be the most pressing issues of the job, since a television negotiation is already done with Fox.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... kin-update
admin
Site Admin

Postby BEwannabe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 am

to the press it's something to talk about, they have way too much air and print to fill and not enough content. If you're Catholic, it should come as no surprise, priests are notoriously slow at making decisions. Re: the process itself, it has all the appearances of they've shopped the job to some talent and the response has been luke warm so they're likely in to their 2nd tier of candidates and they haven't found the person they want yet.
BEwannabe

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board