CBS Conference Catchup: Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Re: CBS Conference Catchup: Big East

Postby BillEsq » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 pm

lol i agree to an extent but i don't want to beat a dead horse to much in from KY and i personally like horses. Yeah the A-10 is just going to be odd for SLU. At this point there is no reason to go to the Valley and there is nowhere else to go. In some sense without the BE slu is like Denver out on an island conference less... :(
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Bluejay wrote:
BillEsq wrote: As you pointed out the MVC also benefited by bracketbusters in helping fill the odd conference weekend.

Actually, that is not what I said at all.

There are/were no "odd weekends" as all bracketbusters participants played on the SAME weekend. If not for the bracketbusters, the MVC would have simply taken that one week a year where teams were required to play three conference games and made it just like all of the other weeks where they only play two games; the weekend used to house the bracketbusters games would then have been used for that conference game.

I'm not saying 10 is ultimately the best number, but a double round robin does provide for the fairest determination of a conference champion.

LOL at some point i just need to say i give up.. but for the record I just looked at the entire schedule on rpi live and couldn't see one week outside of the conference tournament where Creighton played three conference games in a week. Am i missing something? it might be my eyes but once school was in session/conference tourney i only saw one weekend and one weekday game all season for Creighton.
BillEsq

Postby abplar06 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:39 pm

I feel that if the Big East wants to be considered among the best basketball conferences in the country then they need to expand to 12. Adding two NCAA tournament caliber teams like SLU and VCU( i know they do not necessarily fit in with the other big east schools but currently they are probably the best basketball-only school not in the big east) will only add to the conference's standing in the minds of recruits and potential viewers for Fox Sports. Also with 10 teams the big east can expect at best 5 tournament bids while with 12 teams we can expect at least 5 tournament teams yearly and maybe more if its a good year. More tournament teams means more national exposure and more NCAA credits. The extra money from NCAA credits, which could be spent on better facilities, and national exposure from tournament teams will help the Big east brand to continue to recruit high level players. I understand that 12 teams means that not every team will host Georgetown, Marquette, or Villanova every year but they will play at least once and even if its an away game it will probably be on Fox Sports, which is not a bad consolation prize in my opinion.
abplar06

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm

BillEsq wrote:lol i agree to an extent but i don't want to beat a dead horse to much in from KY and i personally like horses. Yeah the A-10 is just going to be odd for SLU. At this point there is no reason to go to the Valley and there is nowhere else to go. In some sense without the BE slu is like Denver out on an island conference less... :(

It's a no-win situation...if you win that league, it doesn't help the profile of your school at all.

But there are worse tragedies that have befell the earth.

Should be great basketball with 10 teams...it is not going further anytime soon.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 am

Why not 11? Scheduling is not that complicated.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:56 am

Dave wrote:Why not 11? Scheduling is not that complicated.

It would work, but the folks in charge wouldn't go for it because it sounds odd and they don't want ESPN making fun of them. That's the world we live in.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby MixingBowlSpider » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:13 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:

It would work, but the folks in charge wouldn't go for it because it sounds odd and they don't want ESPN making fun of them. That's the world we live in.

You mean like this?

MixingBowlSpider

Postby BillEsq » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 pm

i got to say even numbers make way better scheduling but leagues have done it in the past The big 10 most noticeably.
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board