Is there a July 1 deadline to add Dayton or SLU?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Is there a July 1 deadline to add Dayton or SLU?

Postby Bluejay » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 am

At this point in time, I don't think we are organized enough to take in any new members.
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 am

Bluejay wrote:At this point in time, I don't think we are organized enough to take in any new members.

LOL using that argument we could argue that they weren't organized enough a few months ago to add on Butler, Creighton and X. So.... i think its safe to bet that the league will expand to 18 teams next week and absorb the remnants of the Colonial Athletic. :lol:
BillEsq

Postby Xudash » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 pm

So, 10 may be the number after all - - from an ESPN article Re naming the new commish:

"Coaches and athletic directors from the league have told ESPN.com that they have been frustrated by the lack of leadership and transparency while awaiting a new leader. There is anxiety about getting the league started. The new Big East already has a television deal with Fox, so the next commissioner wouldn't have to negotiate any new rights. And expansion isn't a hot topic for the near term with the athletic directors comfortable with 10 schools and a true round-robin in basketball. If Ackerman lands the gig, she would be met with high praise for a league that has been searching for direction since it decided to form."

All that's left to do now is to debate what "near term" means until you're blue in the face. By extension, you could argue that, once they get used to 10, or the more that they get used to 10 there will be diminishing inclination to expand. Or you could argue that near term isn't any more than one season and they'll pull the trigger then. Plenty of opportunities to continue to screw your mind into the ground over this issue and its timing.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:11 am

As a fan of a team that came from a ten team conference, I will admit it is pretty easy to fall in love with the 18 game, round robin schedule.

The benefits are voluminous. As a fan, you get the chance to see every single conference opponent at home once. You get a chance to avenge a road loss by beating that same team at home. Rivalries can get red hot as a coach or particular a-hole player on an opposing team comes to your house every year and you get to hate on him in person. :D As a season ticket holder, you don't get screwed out of seeing the best players in the league because you only play guys on the road in a particular year.

The greatest benefit is that you do end up with a true league champion. Nobody benefits from an easier schedule or getting to play the best teams at home. Its remarkably fair.

The only negative is that with 18 conference games, there is the potential to really beat up on each other and hurt NCAA tourney resumes. Avoiding this completely requires teams to schedule solidly in the noncon and win those games. You also can't have a team that struggled in the noncon get hot in conference or it makes the conference look weak.

I think that once everyone has the opportunity to play a balanced, true round robin schedule, they will really enjoy it. It is hard to get away from the idea once you start playing it and that may not bode well for teams that are hoping to be expansion candidates.
Bluejay

Postby marquette » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 am

The near term may be a year or 10 or forever. It could also be whenever the AAC gets enough members with the right sports to stop cooperating with us in non-revs.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Bluejay wrote:As a fan of a team that came from a ten team conference, I will admit it is pretty easy to fall in love with the 18 game, round robin schedule.

The benefits are voluminous. As a fan, you get the chance to see every single conference opponent at home once. You get a chance to avenge a road loss by beating that same team at home. Rivalries can get red hot as a coach or particular a-hole player on an opposing team comes to your house every year and you get to hate on him in person. :D As a season ticket holder, you don't get screwed out of seeing the best players in the league because you only play guys on the road in a particular year.

The greatest benefit is that you do end up with a true league champion. Nobody benefits from an easier schedule or getting to play the best teams at home. Its remarkably fair.

The only negative is that with 18 conference games, there is the potential to really beat up on each other and hurt NCAA tourney resumes. Avoiding this completely requires teams to schedule solidly in the noncon and win those games. You also can't have a team that struggled in the noncon get hot in conference or it makes the conference look weak.

I think that once everyone has the opportunity to play a balanced, true round robin schedule, they will really enjoy it. It is hard to get away from the idea once you start playing it and that may not bode well for teams that are hoping to be expansion candidates.

There aren't any "expansion candidates" because there's no expansion coming.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board