Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:51 pm

a lot of it was the decline of the College football playoff, and the baseball increase.

ESPN's total audience by my calculations declined by 70.5 million viewers(in 1 extra day)
FS1's total audience increased by 41.4 million viewers(in 1 extra day)

For ESPN just the difference in Cotton Bowl and title game vs Sugar Bowl and Title game was an amazing 17.3 million viewers.

FS1 NLCS with the Cubs had 41.4 million viewers in 2016.
FS1 ALCS w/o the Cubs had 16.6 million viewers in 2015

All of FS1's 2016 games were in prime time. of the 5 games on FS1 in 2015, only 3 were in prime time. Those 3 got a total of 11.4 million viewers.

So 30 million of the 41.4 million prime time increase was just in the LCS for FS1.

then ALDS-
2015 3 prime time games- FS1 drew 11.618 million
2016 4 prime time games- FS1 drew 20.321 million
so in the LDS difference in prime time was 8.7 million viewers.

So 38.7 of 41.4 increase was just the MLB playoffs. 93.5%.

For ESPN, their Fiesta Bowl on Saturday night dropped to 18.396 million from 18.592 million(because ESPN did multi-cast.
stever20
 
Posts: 7919
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby anXUfan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Another win for the BIG EAST.
User avatar
anXUfan
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm

COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN L DUKE/VIRGINIA TECH ESPN2 12:00 PM 2:04 PM 645

COLL BSKTBL: BIG EAST L VILLANOVA/CREIGHTON FOX SPORTS 1 1:16 PM 3:12 PM 374

COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN L FLORIDA STATE/VIRGINIA ESPNU 2:04 PM 4:06 PM 165

COLL BSKTBL: BIG EAST L XAVIER/GEORGETOWN FOX SPORTS 1 11:00 AM 1:16 PM 149

https://sportstvratings.com/cfp-semifinals-washington-alabama-ohio-state-clemson-top-cable-sports-tv-ratings-for-saturday-december-31-2016/7221/
HoosierPal
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:42 am

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:36 pm

FS1 beat ESPN2 in Prime Time in 2016:

FS1..........479......+20.65%
ESPN2.......354.....-18.81%

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/despite ... ngine.html
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:FS1 beat ESPN2 in Prime Time in 2016:

FS1..........479......+20.65%
ESPN2.......354.....-18.81%

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/despite ... ngine.html

Once again, the bump for FS1 was entirely due to the MLB playoffs.
2016- you take the baseball out and FS1 averaged 319k for the other 356 nights of the year.
2015- you take that baseball out, and FS1 averaged 339k for the other 356 nights of the year.

The other thing from this is FS2 has just not taken hold at all whatsoever. For fox to Challenge ESPN long term, FS2 has got to become a whole lot more viable. I mean on Monday, ESPN started the Sugar Bowl on ESPN2 due to the Rose Bowl running long, and you barely noticed. Fox doesn't have that capability.
stever20
 
Posts: 7919
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:47 pm

stever20 wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:FS1 beat ESPN2 in Prime Time in 2016:

FS1..........479......+20.65%
ESPN2.......354.....-18.81%

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/despite ... ngine.html

Once again, the bump for FS1 was entirely due to the MLB playoffs.
2016- you take the baseball out and FS1 averaged 319k for the other 356 nights of the year.
2015- you take that baseball out, and FS1 averaged 339k for the other 356 nights of the year.

The other thing from this is FS2 has just not taken hold at all whatsoever. For fox to Challenge ESPN long term, FS2 has got to become a whole lot more viable. I mean on Monday, ESPN started the Sugar Bowl on ESPN2 due to the Rose Bowl running long, and you barely noticed. Fox doesn't have that capability.


While baseball was huge, can't really make an excuse for FS1's higher ratings. Fox owns their rights. They will even be higher next year, you know why? Big Ten football and basketball will boost the ratings even more.
User avatar
Jet915
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 am

Jet915 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:FS1 beat ESPN2 in Prime Time in 2016:

FS1..........479......+20.65%
ESPN2.......354.....-18.81%

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/despite ... ngine.html

Once again, the bump for FS1 was entirely due to the MLB playoffs.
2016- you take the baseball out and FS1 averaged 319k for the other 356 nights of the year.
2015- you take that baseball out, and FS1 averaged 339k for the other 356 nights of the year.

The other thing from this is FS2 has just not taken hold at all whatsoever. For fox to Challenge ESPN long term, FS2 has got to become a whole lot more viable. I mean on Monday, ESPN started the Sugar Bowl on ESPN2 due to the Rose Bowl running long, and you barely noticed. Fox doesn't have that capability.


While baseball was huge, can't really make an excuse for FS1's higher ratings. Fox owns their rights. They will even be higher next year, you know why? Big Ten football and basketball will boost the ratings even more.


Big Ten football and basketball won't impact prime time stuff much at all. Most of the Big Ten football games will be non prime time games on FS1. Big Ten plays very few football games in prime time. And the ones that they do will be on Big Fox or ABC. Most of the games that are on FS1 will be the noon or 330 pm starts. And the number of games total for football for FS1 will only be around 10 to at the very most 15. if they're lucky, 1 a week.

And Basketball really once again isn't this manna that folks here think it will be. Fox total gets 50 games. Some of those will be on Big Fox. When we get into conference play, we're going to be talking about 2-3 games a week. If they have some of these 630 starts- only 30 minutes of that would be in prime time. Also, for next year in the year to year comparisons the Conference play won't have started yet.

And the biggest thing that FS1 will have when you look year to year for next year is that they're going to be going up against 10 nights of MLB playoffs which drew 61.7 million viewers on those 10 nights. Considering the year before they had only 28.2 million viewers on 6 prime time nights. They could be really behind the 8 ball even before it starts.
stever20
 
Posts: 7919
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby MUPanther » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

FOX COLLEGE HOOP BRIDGE 8:37 PM 8:44 PM 561k

VILLANOVA/BUTLER 6:30 PM 8:37 PM 484k

CREIGHTON/ST. JOHNS 8:44 PM 10:47 PM 213k
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at BMO Harris Bradley Center
UW-Milwaukee Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena
MUPanther
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Milwaukee

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby MUPanther » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Couple of thoughts on the past posts.

-We still have the B1G deal that has not come out yet. So, we don't know the total of the games.
As for 2 to 3 hoops games per week. There might not be too many picks for B1G games in Nov and Dec for FS1. As most will land on BTN for the cupcake games. FS1 doesn't do their 22 Pac-12 hoop games untill league play.

-Copa America was a cheap huge hit this past summer for FS1, that nobody said.

-Westminster Dog Show moves to FS1 this February. That's two nights of 6 million viewers.

-What the heck is FOX goal for FS2?
Conference USA, CAA would be good starters for that network. CUSA was so desperate they went to Bein Sports. :roll:
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at BMO Harris Bradley Center
UW-Milwaukee Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena
MUPanther
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Milwaukee

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:12 pm

MUPanther wrote:Couple of thoughts on the past posts.

-We still have the B1G deal that has not come out yet. So, we don't know the total of the games.
As for 2 to 3 hoops games per week. There might not be too many picks for B1G games in Nov and Dec for FS1. As most will land on BTN for the cupcake games. FS1 doesn't do their 22 Pac-12 hoop games untill league play.

-Copa America was a cheap huge hit this past summer for FS1, that nobody said.

-Westminster Dog Show moves to FS1 this February. That's two nights of 6 million viewers.

-What the heck is FOX goal for FS2?
Conference USA, CAA would be good starters for that network. CUSA was so desperate they went to Bein Sports. :roll:

Big Ten has 50 games for each of ESPN and Fox. ESPN won't be losing like their Tuesday night game in conference season. They air about 5 games a week during conference play- and that's going to be really split in half. Fox will get some of the Big East and ACC challenges for instance.

The thing that you fail to account for is the Big Ten has games on their own network during conference season. They've got some weeks with 10 conference games on their own network. That's not changing(they already said as much)..

I totally agree with you on FS2. That has been totally aimless from the start. And the problem is the subscriber #'s have dropped, not increased.
stever20
 
Posts: 7919
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: billyjack, Google [Bot] and 3 guests