Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby MUPanther » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:05 am

USGA GOLF Schedule
U.S. Open Championship from Shinnecock Hills

USGA Celebration of Champions – Tues 6/16 (FS1) 4:30 PM

First Round – Thurs 6/14 (FS1) 9:30 AM

First Round – Thurs 6/14 (FOX) 4:30 PM

Second Round – Fri 6/15 (FS1) 10:00 AM

Second Round – Fri 6/15 (FOX) 4:30 PM

Third Round – Sat 6/16 (FOX) 11:00 AM

Final Round – Sun 6/17 (FOX) 10:00 AM

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/late ... ampionship
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:52 am

So much for Fox getting Tiger this weekend. +12 with 2 holes to go and in 116th(only top 60 make cut). Could see a lot of big names miss the cut besides him- Speith, Mickelson, Mcelroy, Watson.

If you asked Fox for a worst case scenario for the Open, this would be it just about.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:45 pm

MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:47 pm

Big Sunday on FS1. 4.002M for GER/MEX (252K streaming) and 4.086M for BRA/SUI (215K streaming)
MUPanther

Postby adoraz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:27 pm

stever20 wrote:So much for Fox getting Tiger this weekend. +12 with 2 holes to go and in 116th(only top 60 make cut). Could see a lot of big names miss the cut besides him- Speith, Mickelson, Mcelroy, Watson.

If you asked Fox for a worst case scenario for the Open, this would be it just about.

I was actually surprised this was on Fox. Is this the first time it's been on Fox, and does Fox have the rights to any of the other majors? The Masters I know wasn't on Fox.

Tbh, the sport of golf in general may never be able to rely on Tiger again. Really a shame, and has to make negotiations tough. Ratings would be night/day if he plays obviously.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:27 pm

stever20 wrote:So much for Fox getting Tiger this weekend. +12 with 2 holes to go and in 116th(only top 60 make cut). Could see a lot of big names miss the cut besides him- Speith, Mickelson, Mcelroy, Watson.

Dude, just shut up.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm

adoraz wrote:

I was actually surprised this was on Fox. Is this the first time it's been on Fox, and does Fox have the rights to any of the other majors? The Masters I know wasn't on Fox.

Tbh, the sport of golf in general may never be able to rely on Tiger again. Really a shame, and has to make negotiations tough. Ratings would be night/day if he plays obviously.

Yeah I think I heard that Tiger in the 16 rounds that Fox has had of the US Open has played in 4 of them. Definitely not what Fox was hoping for when they got the US Open a few years ago. Their deal with USGA runs 12 years so got 8 years left now.

For golf, all Fox has is the USGA events. CBS has Masters, NBC has the Open(you may know it as the British Open), and I think CBS/Turner have the PGA Championship.

It's been on Fox/FS1 last 4 years.

I did see the overall rating was 3.6 up from last year but down 5% from 2016. 3 of the 5 lowest rated US Opens have been now in the last 5 years(with 2014 on NBC being one).
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:

Yeah I think I heard that Tiger in the 16 rounds that Fox has had of the US Open has played in 4 of them. Definitely not what Fox was hoping for when they got the US Open a few years ago. Their deal with USGA runs 12 years so got 8 years left now.

For golf, all Fox has is the USGA events. CBS has Masters, NBC has the Open(you may know it as the British Open), and I think CBS/Turner have the PGA Championship.

I did see the overall rating was 3.6 up from last year but down 5% from 2016. 3 of the 5 lowest rated US Opens have been now in the last 5 years(with 2014 on NBC being one).

Didn't realize Golf was divided between all those channels. I usually am interested beginning of April when The Masters is on ESPN/CBS and I'm looking for a substitute for college hoops. Then, I realize Tiger isn't coming back, and I lose interest but still keep an eye on the news and typically tune in when the majors are on. I must've missed the broadcasts the past few years for the US Open, but nice that Fox has the rights. Pretty diverse portfolio IMO.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 am

stever20 wrote:Yeah I think I heard that Tiger in the 16 rounds that Fox has had of the US Open has played in 4 of them. Definitely not what Fox was hoping for when they got the US Open a few years ago. Their deal with USGA runs 12 years so got 8 years left now.

Tiger was 37 years old when Fox negotiated a 12 year deal to cover the US Open. He hadn't won major in 5 years. Only you would point out something as meaningless as how many rounds at the US Open Tiger played since coverage was on Fox. And then talk about the other majors and their broadcasters while conveniently not mentioning that, in spite of the fact that all of the majors' ratings are down since TIger was in his heyday, the US Open has had more viewers on Fox than either than the Open Championship (on ABC then NBC) or the PGA (on CBS) in that same time period.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/major-golf-ratings-historical-masters-us-open-british-pga-championship-tiger-woods/

I am guessing Fox is getting what it wanted out of the US Open contract, which is to get its foot in the door on golf in a meaningful way. NBC and ABC/ESPN (which lost its broadcasting rights to the Open Championship after 2016) would love to have the US Open (both bid on it but lost out to Fox). CBS, apparently, didn't seriously bid as the Masters will always be its master (see ratings in link).

Now, if Fox would just do something about Joe Buck.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board