Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Jet915 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 am

BEwannabe wrote:let's just cut to the chase, just because Fox is NBE partner doesn't make ESPN the enemy. I'm a huge News Corp person but when it comes to sports on the air ESPN would be everyone's 1st choice if all things are equal, they're iconic. ESPN isn't alone in their struggles...it's worldwide, huge changes and a real tug of war playing out on all fronts in broadcast biz. Wishing bad things for ESPN wont bring good things for FS1.

I tend to disagree, after what they and the ACC are trying to do to take MSG, I've grown more dislike for ESPN.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 24, 2013 7:30 am

well at least we're drilling down to the central issue...it's the BIGS you folks are hating and I while I'm empathetic it doesn't change the dynamics of the market for the non bigs. I'm sure the NBE former conference affiliates are working with ACC and ESPN to get their conference tourney back at MSG. NBE is a nice conference but just doesn't have the demographics of the ACC or the old Big East and will be in a constant battle to keep up with the bigs. Selling out MSG on a regualar basis with 10 teams will be next to impossible, year 1 I'm sure schools will ponying up but long term I'd be betting against the schools to get it done, the 4 game opening day will have no sizzle. Manhatttan is used to Syracuse and UConn fans coming to the BigApple for the week, a high % of them never even go to MSG just watch the games in NYC. My college roomate, born and raised Cuse fan sent me pictures of he and his family in this exact setting in March, a table full of them (10 or 12 people) just there to watch the action in the Big Apple bars. That kind of activity is going to be impossible to duplicate and the bigs will use whatever leverage they can, it's just how the world works.
BEwannabe

Postby yorost » Fri May 24, 2013 8:40 am

We folk are hating on the bigs? I'm sorry if I'm taking you wrong (suppose I probably am), but you don't need to talk down to us. Just to be clear, some of us here are fans of the ACC or other 'bigs', too.
yorost

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 24, 2013 8:50 am

simply stated, it's a dog eat dog world, ACC could care less about NBE prospects, tourney location, tv deal (except for comparison purposes) etc.
BEwannabe

Postby yorost » Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 am

Of course. Guess I just didn't read this thread careful enough.
yorost

Postby Barley » Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 am

BEwannabe wrote:simply stated, it's a dog eat dog world, ACC could care less about NBE prospects, tourney location, tv deal (except for comparison purposes) etc.

And the Big East doesn't care about theirs either. What's your point?
Barley

Postby Burrito » Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 am

Reading your posts BEwannabe, I have no idea what your point is either. You jumped into this thread once someone posted an article indicating ESPN is laying off staff. I take it you are now a fan of the ACC and your name indicates a condescending tone about the new Big East. The C7 broke away from the Aresco League because Fox offered a $500 million dollar contract over 12 years. It was a good move. End of story.
Burrito

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 24, 2013 9:24 am

the point is if the ACC wants MSG then they'll do whatever it takes to secure it. I'm not saying they do want it, or when they want it, I've seen arguments for/against, just saying if they do then MSG will find a way to break NBE contract.
BEwannabe

Postby BEwannabe » Fri May 24, 2013 9:32 am

Burrito wrote:Reading your posts BEwannabe, I have no idea what your point is either. You jumped into this thread once someone posted an article indicating ESPN is laying off staff. I take it you are now a fan of the ACC and your name indicates a condescending tone about the new Big East. The C7 broke away from the Aresco League because Fox offered a $500 million dollar contract over 12 years. It was a good move. End of story.

my reply about ESPN was in response to an NBE fan somehow finding comfort in ESPN laying off staff and I think they were somehow concluding turbulence at ESPN meant smooth air for FS1. Simply not the case if you follow what is going on in media worldwide. I'm not in the media business but I do folow the happenings of the business community worldwide and I would describe the media business in a very chaotic period. A lot of the world's largest players vying for dominant positions, it will be very interesting to watch it all play out over the next few years.
BEwannabe

Postby Burrito » Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 am

I have a feeling your comments will not add any value to this message board or this league in general. Perhaps I can direct you to a board where you will be among your peers.

http://syracusefan.com/forums/syracuse- ... l-board.2/
Burrito

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board