Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:20 pm

I see we are back to our regularly scheduled program where Stever proclaims the sky is falling...
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 pm

stever20 wrote:
Xavier4036 wrote:What is your unhealthy obsession with FOX and FS1?

Someone posts college football viewing on FOX and FS1 up 120+%.... most on here glance and think, oh good for them and move on, not really to think of it again. Not Steve - something positive mentioned about FOX Sports, multiple post, paragraph upon paragraph responses.

It's an odd hobby, that's for sure.

My problem is when PR guys put out extremely misleading information.
t.

You mean like ESPN does as well. 8-)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby billyjack » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 pm

Is there any connection between the commercials a TV station shows, and the overall health of that station. Maybe something, maybe nothing?

Anyway, where i am, the ESPN family of stations shows a lot of Ronco-esque Shamwow-type commercials, like non-stick griddle ads, or the sealant product with the loud guy riding in a boat on a bayou.

I've noticed FS1 and FS2 generally have car commercials, like Matthew McCaughnahey in his Lincoln ads, or Range Rover, or Jack Daniels with Mila Kunis... anyway, healthy ads.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:01 am

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:what will really help FS1 with their ratings is getting better games for FS1, not for other games to be on Fox. A lot of people just want to watch a good matchup and will go to some degree wherever it is. As long as FS1 has games like tomorrow's NIU/Nebraska game as the only FS1 game- FS1 isn't going to get great ratings. Next week FS1 gets UCF/Maryland, Baylor/Oklahoma, and Washington/Colorado(at 10pm). Only the last 1 is a good game- and it's really late.

Someone isn't going to flip to a worse game just because it's on a sister network. The matchups drive things. The Reason why ESPN dominates FS1 is that ESPN gets way better matchups. I mean look at next week. I gave you FS1's games. ESPN gets Arkansas/Texas A&M, Georgia/Miss St, UCLA/Stanford, and then either BC/Clemson, TCU/Oklahoma St, or USC/California. You can make the argument that all 4 ESPN games are better than any of the FS1's.
Couples things you are not seeing here. The past few years the FS1 games would have ended up on FOX. Now, you get a solid triple header to join the two big ones on FOX. Oklahoma turns the needle and is ranked #3 and has a very sexy match up in the late night with the rematch of last season's PAC 12 Title Game. Comparison with ESPN and FS1 really isn't fair when ESPN has tons more inventory of games.

Baylor/Oklahoma will be a dreadful game. A 56-0 type of game. Not the type of matchup that will move the needle at all. Esp since it'll be going up against 2 top 25 games just on ESPN (TCU/Oklahoma St at 330, Georgia/Miss St at 7). Not to mention the primetime games on Fox and ABC.

And your last point is the 100% statement of all time. Big Ten isn't adding a ton more inventory for FS1. Unless Fox can get 100% of Big Ten, Big 12, and or Pac 12- Fox will be fighting a losing battle vs ESPN. ESPN gets all of the ACC, all but 1 game of SEC, and then half of Big Ten, Pac 12, and Big 12. Not to mention the top games from the G5 conferences. What it seems has happened with the Big Ten going to Fox is that Fox has just added more windows for Big Fox for games. I mean in first 2 weeks 5 games vs 1. Then yesterday had 2 more games vs last year with only 1. So in first 3 weeks, Big Fox has had 7 games vs only 2 last year. So really don't think you can make the definitive statement that the quality of games for FS1 has gone up- that they are getting games that would have been on Big Fox last year. (oh and just looking it's 2 more next week vs last year with only 1). So in first 4 weeks it's 9-3 for games on Big Fox vs last year. It seems like an odd way to try to build up FS1.

I just don't think you can conclusively say that just because Big Fox has more games, that's going to automatically translate into better ratings for FS1. The games drive the ratings. If you have good games, you're going to have folks watch. If you have dog games, folks aren't going to watch.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

The windows for FS1 pick up in October in a major way. September FS1 had baseball & golf.

As for Oklahoma at Baylor. I never said it would be a good game. I said Oklahoma turns the needle.

Yes, I can say FOX having more games can help FS1. Last year, Washington at Colorado would be on FOX. This year it's on FS1.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm

MUPanther wrote:The windows for FS1 pick up in October in a major way. September FS1 had baseball & golf.

As for Oklahoma at Baylor. I never said it would be a good game. I said Oklahoma turns the needle.

Yes, I can say FOX having more games can help FS1. Last year, Washington at Colorado would be on FOX. This year it's on FS1.

It's on at 10pm. That's not a time slot that gets good ratings. Best ratings in 1st 2 weeks for a game starting at 10 or later was just 1.265 million viewers. So while it could get good ratings, by it starting at 10pm, it is limited. By popularity it's not even the top game at that time- UCLA/Stanford would be. Much bigger brands...

Also while games may have been on Big Fox before doesn't make it a good game.

And looking at next weekend- FS1 gets only 2 games. Maryland/Minnesota and Cal/Oregon(at 1030). Hardly great matchups. Meanwhile big Fox gets Iowa/Michigan St and Oklahoma St/Texas Tech....
stever20

Postby Xavier4036 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 am

Damn Steve, you are tiresome.
Xavier4036

Postby billyjack » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 am

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:The windows for FS1 pick up in October in a major way. September FS1 had baseball & golf.

It's on at 10pm. That's not a time slot that gets good ratings. Best ratings in 1st 2 weeks for a game starting at 10 or later was just 1.265 million viewers. So while it could get good ratings, by it starting at 10pm, it is limited. By popularity it's not even the top game at that time- UCLA/Stanford would be. Much bigger brands...

Also while games may have been on Big Fox before doesn't make it a good game.

And looking at next weekend- FS1 gets only 2 games. Maryland/Minnesota and Cal/Oregon(at 1030). Hardly great matchups. Meanwhile big Fox gets Iowa/Michigan St and Oklahoma St/Texas Tech....

I mentioned this briefly a couple months ago:

As a kid i thought the "-I-N-R-I-" above the crucifix in church was an abbreviation for "in Rhode Island". Actually i think every kid growing up in Rhode Island thought this. Then one time i went to mass in Seekonk MA, and i was confused that the crucifix didn't say "-I-N-M-A-". Anyone else have this experience?
Providence
billyjack

Postby admin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 am

FoxSports.com has reportedly lost 88% of its audience after pivoting to video

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/foxsport ... video.html
admin
Site Admin

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 am

admin wrote:FoxSports.com has reportedly lost 88% of its audience after pivoting to video

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/foxsport ... video.html

Wow. Not at all surprised though, surely they could've known that internet users much prefer text over video.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board