Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:11 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Monday 10-9-17

UNDISPUTED with Ship and Shannon on FS1 228k

The overnight for FS1 drew a 5.5 overnight rating last night's Yanks-Indians. Last year, FS1 drew 3.8 for Dodgers-Nats Game 5 (aired Thurs. against NFL)

Please tell me that Shannon Sharpe on longer has a job at Fox. After his ignorant anti-American rant against our flag "it's racist and just a piece of cloth" I assumed Fox would have done the right thing and sent him packing. I never watch that show - so I don't know.

I hope they keep him since he was dead on right about that. Not everyone here is a right wing jingoist. You never watch that show so why even comment?
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:36 pm

The New York Yankees’ epic comeback to defeat the Cleveland Indians in the 2017 American League Division Series scored record-breaking viewership, securing the 2017 ALDS as the most-watched LDS in FS1 history with an average audience of 3,809,000 viewers over the seven Yankees-Indians and Red Sox-Astros games on the network, according to Nielsen Media Research.

This year’s ALDS is up +3% over last year’s NLDS on FS1 (vs. 3,690,000), and up +36% over 2015’s ALDS on FS1 (vs. 2,795,000).

Wednesday’s incredible Game 5 between the Yankees and Indians posted 7,610,000 viewers across FS1 (7,261,000), FOX Deportes (207,000) and FOX Sports GO (142,000); the most-watched LDS game ever on each platform. The game peaked from 11:15 to 11:30 PM ET with 9,175,000 viewers on FS1.

On FS1, last night’s game was the third most-watched telecast in FS1 history and the most-watched telecast since Cubs-Dodgers Game 6 of the 2016 NLCS. It also ranks as the most-watched ALDS game on any network since 2011.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:39 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

The overnight for FS1 drew a 5.5 overnight rating last night's Yanks-Indians. Last year, FS1 drew 3.8 for Dodgers-Nats Game 5 (aired Thurs. against NFL)

Please tell me that Shannon Sharpe on longer has a job at Fox. After his ignorant anti-American rant against our flag "it's racist and just a piece of cloth" I assumed Fox would have done the right thing and sent him packing. I never watch that show - so I don't know.

You would like Speak for Yourself with Cowherd and Jason Whitlock at 5pm Et. Whitlock attacks the social justice warriors.
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 pm

BIG TEN BOOSTING FOX SPORTS

Last Saturday’s Maryland-Ohio State college football game scored a 1.6 rating and 2.6 million viewers on FOX, the outlet’s top game of the weekend. There were no comparable windows last year or in 2015. Big Ten games account for six of the nine largest audiences on FOX this season, each involving Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State.
In other action, Iowa State’s upset of Oklahoma had a 1.6 and 2.4 million and Washington State-Oregon scored a 1.15 (+4%) and 1.9 million (+5%). Over on FS1, Kansas State-Texas drew a 0.7 and 1.3 million and West Virginia-TCU a 0.7 and 1.1 million. There were no comparable windows last year. The Stanford-Utah nightcap drew a 0.39 (+86%) and 611,000 (+75%).
MUPanther

Postby Jet915 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm

stever20 wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

I have watched Undisputed since day 1, but the last few weeks it's been impossible to watch due to Shannon. He's become totally unbearable....

I do like watching the early show now with Nic Wright and Cris Carter.

I agree about Undisputed, they talk less sports and more about social issues. Then Shannon made his flag comment and I shut them out completely. Still like the Herd and Speak For Yourself though. The Nic Wright show is on too early for me to watch since I'm on the west coast.
Jet915

Postby adoraz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:17 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Not having USA in the World Cup is no doubt horrible for Fox. It will be awful for their bottom line.

That said, at the risk of Stever turning this into a ten page debate, I don't think it'd impact Big East ratings. The World Cup takes place in June, which is as far removed from college basketball season as you can get. I'm skeptical as to whether having the USA in the WC (and likely eliminated in the first round) would lead to Big East viewership 5-9 months later. Again, I am not trying to downplay this sucking for Fox. I'm disappointed USA didn't make it. I just don't think it'll impact what we care about.

What is far more important is what you saw last night, with the Yankees winning game 5 in a market we are desperately trying to capture. This ensures the NYC market on FS1 from mid-late October, with the Big East season starting a couple weeks later. And even more important than that is having Big Ten basketball (and to a lesser extent, football) games on FS1 to get viewers in the habit of going there.

FS1 is getting pretty lucky with the MLB postseason, last year with the Cubs and this year with the Yankees. Obviously Astros aren't great aside from acting as the underdog, but Yankees are the team you want this/most years. When Yankees and Red Sox were down 2-0 it was looking like we'd have a disappointing ALCS.

What if I told you I pretty much agree 100% with you on the World Cup with regards to the Big East?

Where I disagree is the impact of the Yankees on Big East ratings. The reason is quite frankly- how many Big East ads will Fox run during the ALCS? Also, wouldn't say it ensures the NYC market on FS1 from mid-late October. The LCS will be over between Oct 17-21(depending on if it goes 4-7 games). Oct 21 isn't late October. The series could easily be over by October 18. And 1 of the games will be on Big Fox.

Also, Big Ten basketball I don't think will have the impact that you think. Casual fans are still going to trek to ESPN for most games. Big Ten fans will go where the games are. And the top Big Ten games are split between Fox, ESPN, and CBS.

Stever I feel your arguments would be more effective if you didn't dissect every minor word. Fine, rather than "mid-late" (I didn't check to see when game 7 airs) we can settle on "mid-possibly 68% into the month of October".

Do I think having the Yankees on FS1 will significantly impact Big East ratings? No, and I never said that. I agree that they probably won't run Big East ALCS ads because they haven't the last few years. That said, I think having the Yankees on FS1 for a large portion of October definitely helps to get viewers used to going to the network rather than ESPN by default. Then if you mix in some additional Big Ten content, it can help to get FS1 as default or at least ONE of the default channels they check out every day. The timing of the Big East season start makes Yankees/Big Ten a lot more important than the World Cup.

What I said in my post was I felt the Yankees/Big Ten will be more important than the World Cup for the Big East. Now, that may be a very minor number (I think more minor in terms of the Yankees but more significant in terms of Big Ten), BUT all I am saying is regardless of how big the impact is, those 2 events will have more of an impact than the World Cup.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby MUPanther » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:
Also, Big Ten basketball I don't think will have the impact that you think. Casual fans are still going to trek to ESPN for most games. Big Ten fans will go where the games are. And the top Big Ten games are split between Fox, ESPN, and CBS.
Plus, FS1. Minnesota at Maryland, Indiana at Michigan St., Illinois at Wisconsin, Maryland at Indiana, Michigan St. at Illinois, Wisconsin at Michigan St are just some big B1G games on FS1.
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am

Friday’s Yankees-Astros American League Championship Series Game 1 drew 6.2 million viewers on FS1
MUPanther

Postby adoraz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Game 6 for FS1 guaranteed. They must be thrilled.

Believe this will be the highest rated postseason in FS1 history.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:54 am

adoraz wrote:Game 6 for FS1 guaranteed. They must be thrilled.

Believe this will be the highest rated postseason in FS1 history.

not sure about that. Last year still will finish better. Part of that was games 4 and 5 being only at 5pm and not in prime time like last years Cubs/Dodgers series was...

game 4 for instance- FS1 got 4.7 million viewers. compare that to the primetime Cubs/Dodgers last year game 4- which drew 5.8 million.

look at the 1st 4 games for the LCS:
Game 1- 2017 6.2 million 2016- 5.9 million
Game 2- 2017 6.2 million 2016- 7.3 million(note 2017 game was on Fox)
Game 3- 2017 5.1 million 2016- 6.5 million
Game 4- 2017 4.7 million 2016- 5.8 million

so thru 4 games- 2017 LCS averages 5.55 million 2016 averaged 6.38 million. The 3 on FS1 this year averaged 5.33 million.

and have to remember game 6 drew 9.7 million viewers last year. And game 5 drew 7.2 million. So it's an awfully high bar for Fox to clear there.

So while the LDS was up 3.8 million to 3.7 million, the LCS won't allow FS1 to match last year(especially if it goes only 6 games and no game 7). Most of that I think is schedule.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board