Who gets added to the new league??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who gets added to the new league??

Postby Jet915 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm

courtjester wrote:So the rest of the schools will use the 2-3 million for the basketball programs and Creighton will use the 2-3 million to pay for olympic sport travel. Won't Creighton fall behind in basketball?

So you are saying the other teams in the league don't have to travel? I think travel costs will be pretty similar for all schools. Maybe a little cheaper for the east coast schools because of proximity, I doubt it is that much of a difference. If Gonzaga joins, I will agree, that their travel will probably cost the most.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby courtjester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm

I think it will be considerably cheaper for the other schools. They have to go to Creighton once per sport (in theory). Creighton has to go to each school, once per sport, in theory. Much cheaper for Georgetown to go to Omaha once than it is for Creighton to go to Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns's etc.
courtjester

Postby Moses » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:37 pm

courtjester wrote:So the rest of the schools will use the 2-3 million for the basketball programs and Creighton will use the 2-3 million to pay for olympic sport travel. Won't Creighton fall behind in basketball?

Creighton doesn't have the 2-3m now and are doing just fine. The C7 schools will be getting less than they are now right? Will they have the same success with fewer resources?
Moses

Postby courtjester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm not sure they will getting less.
courtjester

Postby Vegas Jim » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Not sure of the significance depth of the dollar angle. When the Zags marched into national contention, recall the "we play anyone, anywhere" policy. These upstarts didn't have beaucoup bucks to finance their program, as I recall. An amazing effort!
Multiple sports pose a different problem, but, objectively, is it not the case that many programs' individual sports are supported by the several core teams?
Creighton has top facilities for basketball, soccer and plays its baseball in the new statium built for the College World Series adjacent to the campus An amazing effort ...best in the nation for college play.
This is above my pay grade, but there must be ADs who have a handle on this financial factor.
Vegas Jim

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 pm

:| Sports travel is not a real-breaker here. Creighton is far from being strapped for cash, unlike a couple of our C7 brethren. If push comes to shove they can always hit up Boystown for a few Dinars. :D
gtmoBlue

Postby thefish7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Vegas Jim wrote:Not sure of the significance depth of the dollar angle. When the Zags marched into national contention, recall the "we play anyone, anywhere" policy. These upstarts didn't have beaucoup bucks to finance their program, as I recall. An amazing effort!
Multiple sports pose a different problem, but, objectively, is it not the case that many programs' individual sports are supported by the several core teams?
Creighton has top facilities for basketball, soccer and plays its baseball in the new statium built for the College World Series adjacent to the campus An amazing effort ...best in the nation for college play.
This is above my pay grade, but there must be ADs who have a handle on this financial factor.

It's not a basketball issue. Basketball will make enough money to cover the travel. It's all the other sports-- though I think at Creighton baseball might pay too, not sure. The C7 will be a considerable step down in baseball, mind you.
thefish7

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:04 pm

If every team get's 2-3m, basketball will make enough for all our sports teams to travel and then some. For Creighton, basketball and soccer are our biggest sports and both of those will be major upgrades. Baseball will be a downgrade. Not sure about the other sports.
Jet915

Postby Burrito » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Congrats to Gonzaga on their 5 game sweep of the BIG 12 this year (West Virginia, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State). Hopefully the C7 finds a way to get them added to the new League.
Burrito

Postby thefish7 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Jet915 wrote:If every team get's 2-3m, basketball will make enough for all our sports teams to travel and then some. For Creighton, basketball and soccer are our biggest sports and both of those will be major upgrades. Baseball will be a downgrade. Not sure about the other sports.

I think the point of the discussion here is that if you're spending a bunch of money traveling, and the other teams are not, your 2-3M won't take you as far. I'd think if CU were to join I'd assume they'd probably get some kind of subsidy for travel from the conference to balance things out.
thefish7

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board