Who gets added to the new league??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who gets added to the new league??

Postby thefish7 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:25 am

Hoya wrote:I think I have been convinced that 12 makes more sense than 10. As an old school Big East guy it's going to be hard for me to reconcile conference game trips to St Louis, Dayton, and Omaha. The bright side is that going to two divisions of 6 teams will allow for us to keep all of our Big East rivalries intact in an eastern division while still making the conference work with like minded institutions.

Creighton is REALLY far away from the rest of the teams in consideration. For reference, Xavier in Cincy is 500 miles from DC. Omaha is more than 700 miles from Cincinnati. St Louis is about 800 miles from DC. The country gets really "big" once you get west of the Mississippi. Creighton has great traditions and is a stronger program than some of the C7 - DePaul, Providence for sure... But they'll be way way out on an island.
thefish7

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

thefish7 wrote:
Hoya wrote:I think I have been convinced that 12 makes more sense than 10. As an old school Big East guy it's going to be hard for me to reconcile conference game trips to St Louis, Dayton, and Omaha. The bright side is that going to two divisions of 6 teams will allow for us to keep all of our Big East rivalries intact in an eastern division while still making the conference work with like minded institutions.

Creighton is REALLY far away from the rest of the teams in consideration. For reference, Xavier in Cincy is 500 miles from DC. Omaha is more than 700 miles from Cincinnati. St Louis is about 800 miles from DC. The country gets really "big" once you get west of the Mississippi. Creighton has great traditions and is a stronger program than some of the C7 - DePaul, Providence for sure... But they'll be way way out on an island.

The island impacts Creighton, for sure, but not so much the other schools. The same would hold for Gonzaga. The onus is on that school to travel more frequently than any of the others so it wouldn't bother me.

As an aside, did you see that Creighton had 18,400 people last night attend a game against Evansville? Crazy.
Peter

Postby jays911 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:55 am

We(Jays) average over 16,000, even counting the buy games. As to distance, the new league may actually be easier for CU. Lots of nonstop flights, unlike our current travel schedule.
jays911

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 pm

18,458, standing room only for EVANSVILLE. I was even surprised by the number, 2nd highest ever, we had 18,735 against Wichita State last year.
Jet915

Postby Xudash » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Jet915 wrote:18,458, standing room only for EVANSVILLE. I was even surprised by the number, 2nd highest ever, we had 18,735 against Wichita State last year.

We are considering air travel over trains for this thing, right?

Excellent school that averages 16k in attendance, with the ability to park over 18k butts in the seats, and some of us are worried about Creighton?

Creighton is a no-brainier for this. Besides, the more Jesuit schools the better.
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:26 pm

OR...

G'twn can stay in the current config of the BE - I'll bet ol Hoya will LUV playing East Carolina and Tulane, twice per season. :lol:
gtmoBlue

Postby courtjester » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Still think it is Butler, Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton and Creighton plus the original 7.
courtjester

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:47 pm

courtjester wrote:Still think it is Butler, Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton and Creighton plus the original 7.

I'd love Gonzaga in the league but I think you are right.
Jet915

Postby HallHoops » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Jet915 wrote:
courtjester wrote:Still think it is Butler, Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton and Creighton plus the original 7.

That sounds best to me too but how do you break that up into East/West divisions?
HallHoops

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:34 pm

HallHoops wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

That sounds best to me too but how do you break that up into East/West divisions?

I think you just put Dayton in the east and Xavier in the west based on geography. I know they are rivals but they will still play once a year and if they wanted to, they can play one non-conference game a year as well.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board