Madison Square Garden or Barclays?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Madison Square Garden or Barclays?

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 pm

I have to ask...what is the incentive for schools like SLU and Creighton to join your conference if it is going to be so East Coast centric that the championship is always in some gym in New York City? I read all of this about MSG being the mecca of hoops or whatever. You people need to get to Indiana and see Hinkel Fieldhouse.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pki1998 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:41 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I have to ask...what is the incentive for schools like SLU and Creighton to join your conference if it is going to be so East Coast centric that the championship is always in some gym in New York City? I read all of this about MSG being the mecca of hoops or whatever. You people need to get to Indiana and see Hinkel Fieldhouse.

I think we all know what the awnser is, the incentive is more money. Money is what is driving all this conference realignment stuff. I would love to have the tourney in the Cintas, UD Arena or Hinkel, for one simple reason its a quick drive. As for why the tourney should be held in MSG, Philly, DC, or Chicago, try this tonight. Go home and ask your wife if she wants to take a weekend trip to NYC or Omaha for a college basketball tourney? I am pretty sure most of our wives would prefer a trip to NYC. NYC, Philly, DC and Chicago are destination cities in the own right. If you team is knocked out in round one its easy to still have a good time the rest of the weekend. But while I love living in Cincinnati, its not an exciting place to visit. I suppose that Indianapolis, and Omaha probably fall into the same category.
pki1998

Postby Burrito » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm

We should definately try to keep the tournament at Madison Square Garden if possible. It has helped raise the profile of the Big East over the years. Publicity is a good thing. NYC is a good place to get publicity.
I wonder where the new Conference Headquarters will be located. Does it stay in Providence or does it get moved? Moving it to the Midwest would be fine by me.
Burrito

Postby Jet915 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Creighton fans usually bring 5-6k to Saint Louis for the tournament there. Just due to cost and distance, there will be less Creighton fans going to MSG but I'm sure there would still be a healthy contingent. I don't mind it being at MSG, I would expect Creighton to host the baseball tournament (TD Ameritrade park) and likely the soccer tournament (Morrison Stadium).
Jet915

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

I don't think there is any doubt that MSG would rather have an association with the C7 rather than the old Big East. I'm not sure how long the current contract between the two runs, but be assured MSG and the C7 want to stay connected and the old BE would get dropped in a second if MSG had their way.
ArmyVet

Postby James » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:01 pm

The current Big East contract doesn't run out to 2025-2026. However I wonder how likely that partnership would last if St. John's, Syracuse, UConn and Notre Dame weren't in the Big East?
James

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

James wrote:The current Big East contract doesn't run out to 2025-2026. However I wonder how likely that partnership would last if St. John's, Syracuse, UConn and Notre Dame weren't in the Big East?

Didn't realize it was that long. Barclay's or maybe DC then?
ArmyVet

Postby yorost » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm

I think the early reports were indicating MSG can get out of the contract due to a changing lineup of schools, and that they would likely do so.
yorost

Postby nathanhm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm

MSG is def going to want to get out of that contract. Outside of UConn & Temple, most of the schools in the other Big East aren't even close to NYC. The attendance would suck.

The C7 + friends, will have Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown all within 3 hours. And maybe this is my east coast bias but any school that wants to join the C7 but doesn't want to play in MSG shouldn't join. There is no better place to host the conference tournament, period.
nathanhm

Postby pki1998 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

I will let Ella make my arguement for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsa0OfWcGA

Manhattan > Brooklyn, and MSG > Barclays
pki1998

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board