Madison Square Garden or Barclays?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Better place for our conference tournament? MSG or Barclays Center in Brooklyn?
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Madison Square Garden or Barclays?

Postby Jet915 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:47 pm

You have to go with MSG, especially if we keep the Big East name. I think the A-10 already signed a deal w/the Barclay Center.
Jet915

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 pm

MSG totally.
billyjack

Postby marq » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 pm

If the old Big East stays at MSG and the A-10 in Barclays, why not Philly or DC? Plenty of great arena around and I could argue that establishing a new tradition at a new location would be advantageous.
marq

Postby KabeX » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:52 pm

1st post and a Merry Christmas to all of our former BE friends. Selfishly I hope for the Garden as I'm based at 2 Penn (big building attached). I live in Cincy but am based in NY. As a big Xavier fan, I've watched our little brother (UC) in the BE tourney at the Garden and it was great. But the best thing is hopefully joining the C7 to form one helluva a conference. Happy Holidays!
KabeX

Postby gmoser1210 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 am

I think there is an argument to be made for the tournament to be held in Indy at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. It might be worthwhile to give teams an extra opportunity to visit the city that hosts the final four every five years. Especially when you realize the selection committee is in Indy, having the conference tournament going on in their backyard might be a pretty good thing while they're seeding and choosing at large bids.
gmoser1210

Postby FlyerFan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:23 am

gmoser1210 wrote:I think there is an argument to be made for the tournament to be held in Indy at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. It might be worthwhile to give teams an extra opportunity to visit the city that hosts the final four every five years. Especially when you realize the selection committee is in Indy, having the conference tournament going on in their backyard might be a pretty good thing while they're seeding and choosing at large bids.

Interesting idea. Maybe a rotation between east and west? Perhaps even adding Chicago to the mix as a western option? A lot of high school talent there as well.
FlyerFan

Postby billyjack » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:11 pm

If 12 Teams:
Thanksgiving Mini Tourney at Hinkle* in Indy - 6 teams, 3 games each, fixed schedule, Butler hosts.
Christmas Mini Tourney at United Center in Chicago - the other 6 teams, 3 games each, fixed schedule, DePaul hosts.
March Big East Tourney at MSG in New York - all 12 teams, brackets and eliminations as usual.

* this could rotate to each school. Chicago and New York are permanent destination cities.
billyjack

Postby jkc_dawgs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Honestly there has been more talk of having it here in Indy. I think it would fantastic here. Schools like DePaul and Marquette are used to MSG so it seems like they don't even bother trying to make the trip out to the east coast anymore. I think it would benefit the eastern Catholic schools because you will be interested in seeing big time basketball in the midwest. New team, new look, new state. Also for SLU, Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, DePaul, and Dayton it is close enough for them to go. Don't be surprised to see it at Bankers Life Fieldhouse for the next few seasons. Also, I don't think it would work in Chi-town that well because no offense, but there would not be a good "home" crowd. With DePaul not being as good as we all have hoped since the 80's they wouldn't sell as many tickets having less revenue for the new conference. The three places I can see it being first are Bankers Life (Indy), Wells Fargo (Philly), Verizon Center (DC) and then MSG or Barclays. Only downside of having it in DC is that is GTown's home court. At least in other cities they have other sources (aka NYC, Indy, Philly). Definitely MSG before Barclays because the A10 just signed some like 5 to 10 year deal with the Barclays.

Wish everybody well and hope to start up some new rivalries with the likes of GTown, Nova, etc. GO DAWGS!!
Last edited by jkc_dawgs on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkc_dawgs

Postby Dew » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:11 pm

jkc_dawgs wrote: Also, I don't think it would work in Chi-town that well because no offense, but there would not be a good "home" crowd. With DePaul not being as good as we all have hoped since the 80's they wouldn't sell as many tickets having less revenue for the new conference.

This is why Chicago might work. Not a true home team. In our first years we don't want to look like a low level conference playing at a school arena. United Center would work in that regard.
Dew

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board