Madison Square Garden or Barclays?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Madison Square Garden or Barclays?

Postby QueRico » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 pm

I've talked to countless fans traveling w/ their teams to the BE Tournament over the years. Anyone who has made the trip will tell you what an unbelievable experience they had & can't wait to do it again. It's not just about having a great gym w/ a great crowd as I'm sure Hinkle is. It's the whole middle-of-it-all atmosphere. If your team gets upset on the 1st day you still can have a great trip to NYC. I was @ the Garden Sunday. They did a beautiful job on the remodel and once they refurbish the ceiling it will be awesome. The name - and the iconic ceiling - still carries a lot of cache. If I'm a HS recruit it's still on my list of places I'd like to play.

The Barclay's is a nice brand new arena, but has it's drawbacks & definitely isn't a destination.
Trust me, there's no comparing 7th Avenue to Atlantic Ave. as a location.
Let the A-10 have it - although if/when the top teams leave they may have to go back to AC.
QueRico

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Looks like the ACC might want to move their conference tournament to New York now.
Because of the Atlantic Coast Conference's increased Northeastern footprint, the ACC is interested in holding a future men's basketball tournament in New York, an ACC school official told ESPN.
admin
Site Admin

Postby QueRico » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 am

That may be a possibility down the road, but the NC schools are sure to resist. The ACC is just keeping all its options open.
The assumptions are that MSG wants to lock into an annual event & that the ACC wants to continue to rotate their tournament.
"The deadline to bid for the 2016-21 ACC tournaments was in September, and New York's Madison Square Garden and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn did not submit a bid."
Right now, one must expect MSG to cancel the current contract & negotiate a new deal (probably shorter term) w/ either the C7+ or the Remainder.
After that, all bets are off.
QueRico

Postby JohnT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 am

The C7 needs to lock into MSG asap or risk losing the prime weekend for league tourneys.
JohnT

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board