Do C7 really want to add the best teams?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Do C7 really want to add the best teams?

Postby jimmyballgame » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am

glen wrote:
xu95 wrote:It won't get you more bids though. The more bids the conference makes, the more money the school makes.

I get that but I also wouldn't be surprised if schools made selfish decisions. Does DePaul want to add Creighton and move down in the league pecking order or might they want to add SLU and feel that they've increased their own NCAA chances by adding a team they can beat more consistently?

wait......what.... I don't know where you would get this. Not to be rude, but I don't care who is added in this league, it will be a a few years before DePaul makes a run at the tournament. Barring an upset, DePaul hasn't been on SLU's level since both teams left C-USA (besides maybe the year Mitchell was suspended). Then again, DePaul has been on the level of very few teams in those years (UIC maybe? Loyola?). I think the C7 are making a big mistake if either Creighton or SLU aren't invited. Both make the conference better in terms of both on and off the court details. I understand SLU isn't Creighton on the court but come. on.
jimmyballgame

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XU85 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 am

yorost wrote:How did I give the impression the media outlets wouldn't consider market research? That was the point of that part, all sides will in one form or another. Fan discussions just reflects that. What tv offers aren't going to hinge on are travel and the vale of those credits. The schools weigh those against the values of the tv deals. TV has a lot of weight, but it isn't the despot of invites.

It sounded like you were using "what fans want is what sells" as an argument as to why it's not almost entirely up to TV execs.

The TV execs and money will be the driving force of who is ultimately in the conference. Look at college football if you need any other proof.
XU85

Postby yorost » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 am

Did I say otherwise? TV might drive, but it doesn't control all. If you don't think travel costs have any weight I don't know what to say. If tv wanted Gonzaga they'd have to pony up good to the conference.

On the fans thing, what sells is just broad for what tv or anyone selling the product would want. What fans want and what draws interest are going to appeal to tv and the BE7 alike. TV isn't just picking teams and creating interest, they're responding to existing interest and trying to place good bets on potential, right? They might have control, but it isn't without rules, boundaries, and competing forces.
yorost

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board