Realignment coming to an end?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Dew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 pm

The ACC and Notre Dame have agreed to a grant of rights deal that essentially makes it unlikely for any ACC teams to leave the conference. Every league but the SEC has one now which would indicate none of those leagues will be getting poached. I think the Big East needs to have something in place too just in case.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Realignment coming to an end?

Postby yorost » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 pm

An article on Georgetown pointed to there being a grant of rights in place to go along with the Fox deal.

edit: ...and while it might cool realignment at the top, realignment has been an ongoing reality for the better part of a century.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:51 pm

yorost wrote:An article on Georgetown pointed to there being a grant of rights in place to go along with the Fox deal.

edit: ...and while it might cool realignment at the top, realignment has been an ongoing reality for the better part of a century.

True... and even if the BE stays at 10 there will be massive upheaval in the smaller conferences as everything cycles down, just to reflect the recent changes. If the BE moves to 12 the whole process starts again.
BillEsq

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm

I don't know about this I have a strong feeling that the Big 12 wont be comfortable staying at ten members forever. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they added Cincinnati.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby Xudash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm

MUSeashells&Balloons wrote:I don't know about this I have a strong feeling that the Big 12 wont be comfortable staying at ten members forever. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they added Cincinnati.

As a Xavier fan, you probably understand how it pleases me that UC may end up being stuck in all this. We've had to listen to or read their drivel about them being in the Big East while we were "stuck" in the A10.

I agree with you that UC's only salvation now is the B12. UC can forget the ACC. The B1G, more specifically Ohio State would never allow UC through its doors.

So, assuming the B12 eventually wants to get back to a championship game and that it doesn't receive a waiver (exemption) for the 12 member requirement, UC could make the cut. They would be up against one or two of the Florida directional schools and perhaps Houston or Boise State. However, UC still has serious issues, including an inadequate football stadium.

What a remarkable ride this has been.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby JohnT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 am

5-10 years from now, conferences and schools will be looking again once the GOR payoff becomes smaller. This may have stalled the moving around for now, but it hasn't stopped it forever.
JohnT

Postby yorost » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:16 am

JohnT wrote:5-10 years from now, conferences and schools will be looking again once the GOR payoff becomes smaller. This may have stalled the moving around for now, but it hasn't stopped it forever.

Yup. grant of rights is worth less and less as it goes on. Any valuable product, though, needs to be protected. so I suspect we might start seeing the tv contracts renewed much sooner than before if it means keeping a grant of rights in place.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am

yorost wrote:
JohnT wrote:5-10 years from now, conferences and schools will be looking again once the GOR payoff becomes smaller. This may have stalled the moving around for now, but it hasn't stopped it forever.

Yup. grant of rights is worth less and less as it goes on. Any valuable product, though, needs to be protected. so I suspect we might start seeing the tv contracts renewed much sooner than before if it means keeping a grant of rights in place.

That and in the ND situation their football money is safe outside of the Grant of Rights. Lets face it, ND could simply say... sure you can have the rights to our track team... see what we care.
BillEsq

Return to Big East basketball message board