How soon for a challenge?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How soon for a challenge?

Postby Dew » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:10 pm

The PAC12 doesn't do much for me from an interest standpoint. If the Big 12 partners with Fox, I'd probably prefer that as a challenger.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Dew wrote:The PAC12 doesn't do much for me from an interest standpoint. If the Big 12 partners with Fox, I'd probably prefer that as a challenger.

The advantage of the PAC and the the WCC to a lesser extent is that they will gain exposure to the conference teams on the west coast. They more media hype attention the more hype, the more hype the higher the subjective rankings. The higher the rankings the more NCAA bids and seeds.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't think subjective rankings do a whole lot anymore with NCAA bids. Computers don't care what your name is and the NCAA likes the rpi for now. Your quality wins come from there, not beating ranked opponents. It is about exposure, though.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:57 pm

yorost wrote:I don't think subjective rankings do a whole lot anymore with NCAA bids. Computers don't care what your name is and the NCAA likes the rpi for now. Your quality wins come from there, not beating ranked opponents. It is about exposure, though.

True but the AP does take into account subjectivity and the AP does have some effect. Plus the media attention which helps in all sorts of other intangibles.
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board