How soon for a challenge?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How soon for a challenge?

Postby marquette » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Would be nice to have at least one challenge set up in the next couple years. B1G is also a possibility since the BTN is owned jointly with Fox. I would definitely be up for either.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cm5yz6 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 pm

BillEsq wrote:
yorost wrote:I figured he was just trying to force in another argument for 12.

:o

Seriously if it stays at 10 ... i wouldn't be too upset.. increases the odds Bellarmine is added in Lacrosse.... My loyalties are 100% Bellarmine 60% Slu and 40% Louisville.

You are really into this Bellarmine - lacrosse thing
cm5yz6

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 pm

cm5yz6 wrote:You are really into this Bellarmine - lacrosse thing

I think it is important to realize that lacrosse is the second most important sport for the survival and strength of this conference Lacrosse is a revenue sport for some schools and at its current rate of growth will easily be the third most profitable college sport in about 10 years. This is one of the reasons why we have seen 11 schools add D1 lacrosse in the past three years schools want to get in on this coming change in college sports as early as they can.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 am

Is there any realistic option other than the PAC12? I don't see an AAC challenge happening.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Jet915 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 am

PAC-12 seems most realistic. Big Ten would be nice cause everyone seems to have a regional rivalry with a B1G team and fox owns 50% of the B1G ten network but I think they would probably crush us every year. AAC is top heavy but after next year, I don't think we want to play ECU, Tulsa, SMU and Houston.
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:41 am

Jet915 wrote:PAC-12 seems most realistic. Big Ten would be nice cause everyone seems to have a regional rivalry with a B1G team and fox owns 50% of the B1G ten network but I think they would probably crush us every year. AAC is top heavy but after next year, I don't think we want to play ECU, Tulsa, SMU and Houston.

Who are the current challenges?

Big Ten - ACC
Big 12 - SEC
?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby BillEsq » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:02 pm

cm5yz6 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
yorost wrote:I figured he was just trying to force in another argument for 12.

:o

Seriously if it stays at 10 ... i wouldn't be too upset.. increases the odds Bellarmine is added in Lacrosse.... My loyalties are 100% Bellarmine 60% Slu and 40% Louisville.

You are really into this Bellarmine - lacrosse thing

The lacrosse is being mentioned in another thread but my undergrad is from Bellarmine... if they were D1 school i'd be advocating them for all sports, as they are not... I'll take what i can get...

But to the topic at hand... I think a BE-WCC challenge would also be good also has that nice 10 v 10 team split... (see I'll take evens at 10 and at 12)
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I guess if the other major conferences are tied up I could live with a Big East-AAC, WCC, or MW challenge. We really don't need it, but it would be nice. Several of our schools already have established yearly rivalries with schools from other major conferences (Marquette-Wisconsin, Georgetown-Syracuse, Xavier-Cincinnati, I guess you could put Nova-Temple in this category now) so I don't know if it would be impossible to maybe schedule a challenge with them in the future.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby bmorex » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:07 pm

There's just no way a Big East-AAC challenge will happen. Neither conference wants to be seen/portrayed as the "losers" of the split. I know that it's obviously not that simple, but the perception will be that whatever conference would win the "challenge," won realignment. I don't think it's in either conference's interests to sponsor an event like that.

On that same note, I wouldn't want the Big East to play the WCC in a challenge either. IMO, the Big East doesn't want to be considered mid-major. Why set up a tournament with a mid-major conference? Sure there are some great WCC teams, but there are also some mediocre ones.

I think it's Pac-12 or bust. If you can't get one set up with them, just don't do one.
bmorex

Postby QueRico » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 am

bmorex wrote:There's just no way a Big East-AAC challenge will happen. Neither conference wants to be seen/portrayed as the "losers" of the split. I know that it's obviously not that simple, but the perception will be that whatever conference would win the "challenge," won realignment. I don't think it's in either conference's interests to sponsor an event like that.

On that same note, I wouldn't want the Big East to play the WCC in a challenge either. IMO, the Big East doesn't want to be considered mid-major. Why set up a tournament with a mid-major conference? Sure there are some great WCC teams, but there are also some mediocre ones.

I think it's Pac-12 or bust. If you can't get one set up with them, just don't do one.

I agree with this. Plus, The BE & AAC have already announced that they will be scheduling each other when possible.
Sure a lot of that was putting on a brave face after the divorce, but @ least initially both leagues will be looking to fill out their schedules.
Obviously there's going to be more interest in getting a Gtown or a UConn on your schedule than some other schools, but it never hurts having "major" conference games on your OOC schedule regardless of the program.
QueRico

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board