Fallout Options

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fallout Options

Postby BillikensWin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm

pki--love the analysis.

Well done.

I don't think SLU goes to the MVC because I don't think the MVC takes them (and many fans would probably revolt). Horizon I didn't consider. As for staying in the A-10, basketball is one thing, but the other sports are another issue.

I'm hoping to be in on the new creation. (Yeah, aren't we all). I would like to see the 5 mentioned in some articles (X,Butler,Creighton,Dayton,SLU), but Virginia Commonwealth is making one heck of a push on the floor.

Of course, if the league stops at 10 a lot of it would be moot.
BillikensWin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lukecu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 pm

I think SLU would go to MVC if they get left out.
lukecu

Postby thefish7 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 pm

BillikensWin wrote:pki--love the analysis.

Well done.

I don't think SLU goes to the MVC because I don't think the MVC takes them (and many fans would probably revolt). Horizon I didn't consider. As for staying in the A-10, basketball is one thing, but the other sports are another issue.

I'm hoping to be in on the new creation. (Yeah, aren't we all). I would like to see the 5 mentioned in some articles (X,Butler,Creighton,Dayton,SLU), but Virginia Commonwealth is making one heck of a push on the floor.

Why wouldn't the MVC take SLU? And revolting fans would be MVC fans or SLU fans? And why would either revolt?
thefish7

Postby thegalen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Well done.

Hate to beat a dead horse but why would 5 of the C7 willfully vote to re-center the Big "East" in the Midwest? If Gonzaga was located in Omaha, ok, I'd buy that. Otherwise, no sale on not bringing in a single East Coast member.
thegalen

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

thegalen wrote:

Well done.

Hate to beat a dead horse but why would 5 of the C7 willfully vote to re-center the Big "East" in the Midwest? If Gonzaga was located in Omaha, ok, I'd buy that. Otherwise, no sale on not bringing in a single East Coast member.

Not sure I get your point. There are already teams in the midwest. Flying to Milwaukee is not much different than flying to Omaha from DC or NY (an extra hour of flight time?). They are going to select the best 5, I don't think geography matters unless it's Gonzaga. Teams in the Big East already have to go to the midwest and south (South Florida). The Big 12 and the Big Ten have teams in central and east coast times as well.
Jet915

Postby BillikensWin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm

thefish7 wrote:

Well done.

Why wouldn't the MVC take SLU? And revolting fans would be MVC fans or SLU fans? And why would either revolt?

SLU left the MVC under not the best of terms. Many SLU fans would more or less disown the program if they went MVC. So that should answer your questions.
BillikensWin

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:58 pm

As a diehard Valley fan I can assure you that the vast majority of Valley fans want nothing to do with SLUH. Elgin doesn't want the headache. I bet if they were let in the Arch Madness, they'd have the 4th of 5th highest number of fans. Embarrassing when the league championship is annually held in your own city.

But yest the Billikin fans think they are too good to be associated with schools in Springfield, Wichita, Omaha, Evansville, Carbondale, and so forth. Instead they have more in common with a school in Olean, NY. Okay?

It would be a bad end result if SLUH ended up in the Valley. They wouldn't like it and neither would we. Their Olympic sports are really more in line with schools like SIUE that play in the Ohio Valley. Maybe they can play bury their baseball, softball, and women's basketball programs there?
CaseyGarrisonforPrez

Postby BillikensWin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:As a diehard Valley fan I can assure you that the vast majority of Valley fans want nothing to do with SLUH. Elgin doesn't want the headache. I bet if they were let in the Arch Madness, they'd have the 4th of 5th highest number of fans. Embarrassing when the league championship is annually held in your own city.

But yest the Billikin fans think they are too good to be associated with schools in Springfield, Wichita, Omaha, Evansville, Carbondale, and so forth. Instead they have more in common with a school in Olean, NY. Okay?

It would be a bad end result if SLUH ended up in the Valley. They wouldn't like it and neither would we.
Their Olympic sports are really more in line with schools like SIUE that play in the Ohio Valley. Maybe they can play bury their baseball, softball, and women's basketball programs there?

I finally agree with you on something. It's kind of the disaster scenario for everyone involved.
BillikensWin

Postby pki1998 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm

BillikensWin wrote:SLU left the MVC under not the best of terms. Many SLU fans would more or less disown the program if they went MVC. So that should answer your questions.

Well I guess you learn something everyday. I didn't even know that SLU once played in the Valley. After looking it up their last year was in 1974. That must have been a terrible break up if people are concerned about it almost 40 years later.
pki1998

Postby yorost » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:38 am

pki1998 wrote:
BillikensWin wrote:SLU left the MVC under not the best of terms. Many SLU fans would more or less disown the program if they went MVC. So that should answer your questions.

Well I guess you learn something everyday. I didn't even know that SLU once played in the Valley. After looking it up their last year was in 1974. That must have been a terrible break up if people are concerned about it almost 40 years later.

I'd like to be filled in on this. Only four current MVC schools were in the conference the same time as St. Louis. Three of those, Bradley, Creighton and Drake, left MVC and came back themselves. Creighton came back after St. Louis had left, even, so only two of those saw them leave. That leave Wichita St. as the only school that saw St. Louis in the conference and has never left the MVC itself. That must have been some nasty exit for a grudge to be still around.
yorost

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board