Larry Brown has doubts about the AAC

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:49 pm

ROSELLE, N.J. — When Larry Brown took the SMU job in April 2012, he did so in part because the Mustangs were eventually headed to the Big East Conference.

Brown looked forward to matching wits with coaches like Louisville’s Rick Pitino, Georgetown’s John Thompson III and Villanova’s Jay Wright.

“That was one of the biggest selling points in going to SMU,” Brown told SNY.tv last Friday at a coaches’ clinic at Roselle Catholic High School.

“To have an opportunity to be in the Big East I thought would be so great for our program.”

But the Big East has shifted dramatically since Brown, 72, returned to coaching at SMU. Louisville is headed to the ACC in 2014, following Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame out the door. And the seven Catholic schools that comprised the heart of the league are leaving and taking the Big East name with them.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/larry-brow ... onference/
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Larry Brown has doubts about the AAC

Postby mel ott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 pm

An even better part to the story were his thought on the new Big East---

Brown speaks almost wistfully about the potential of the new Big East of which he won’t be a part.

“I look at that conference, the Catholic 7 and you add Xavier, Creighton and Butler, wow, that’s a pretty darn good conference,” Brown said.

“I think that’s a great conference in itself.”
mel ott

Postby Jet915 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Brown is already trying to find a way to get out of SMU. He'll be there one more year I bet.
Jet915

Postby glen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am

Jet915 wrote:Brown is already trying to find a way to get out of SMU. He'll be there one more year I bet.

I thought it was a reach when they hired him. Not sure he has anywhere else to go.
glen

Postby marquette » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 am

Since any of the teams there would bolt in 0.02 seconds if the ACC came calling, I would have my doubts too. Next round of football raids will probably devastate the AAC.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Vill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 am

Jet915 wrote:Brown is already trying to find a way to get out of SMU. He'll be there one more year I bet.

He did just get a 5 star commit though.
Vill

Return to Big East basketball message board