Next year Big East's favorite? Surprise team?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby JohnT » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 am

Never too early to start looking ahead. A couple of the major stars of the league are moving to the NBA. Who do you think wins the league now? Surprise team?

I think St. John's is going to be the team to look out for. I don't know enough about the new schools just yet but think it's possible Butler could be top 1-2.
JohnT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Next year Big East's favorite? Surprise team?

Postby James » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am

Pick any from 5!

I'd say Marquette should be the favourites for next year I'd imagine. Georgetown, St John's and Providence shouldn't be too far behind. Possibly Villanova too.
We are New York's team. We are St. John's.
James

Postby X-man » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 pm

I am biased, of course, but I believe that Xavier will be good enough next year to contend for the top spot. They will be a "surprise team" only because they went off the radar this season after a disastrous off-season in 2012. As long as this off-season goes better, the Muskies will be deep, talented, and versatile enough to seriously contend.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby ljay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Creighton's roster is not close to set for next year and I'm not even talking about McDermott. I'll answer this question in regard to my Jays a few weeks from now.

Can't disclose any more than that at this time.
ljay

Postby glen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 am

St John's and Georgetown for me. I think Marquette will be there too if their recruits pan out.
glen

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

Xavier is probably not going to contend. They are sporting like 6 new players and their best player is only a sophomore. Combine that with better competition and this year will be mostly growing and learning to play goether. If Semaj stays for his junior year though I believe we will contend.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby XtoDC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 am

I expect Xavier to be an NCAA Tournament team next season, but I would be shocked if they contended for the top spot. This isn't the Atlantic-10 anymore for Xavier where if you're a fringe top 25 team you should win the league. The champion of this league should be a top 10 kind of team, and I expect Georgetown and Marquette to be the most likely contenders because of that. St. John's will most likely take a step up, but it is hard to predict if it is a giant leap or just slightly better at this point.

Besides, as Xavier fans experienced last year, a lot can change in an offseason from April to November. They went from being easily a top 25 team talent wise to missing the NIT. It will be interesting to see who the big movers are between what we expect now and what the rosters actually look like in 7 months.
XtoDC

Postby aughnanure » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:27 pm

The favorites should be Georgetown and Marquette. Too much depth coming back on both teams.

Villanova, Providence, and St. John's will be battling for 3-5.

Xavier is the surprise team and could be top 4.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby bigsnoop » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:17 pm

I may be prejudiced, but I think next season will be a great one for the Big East. I think Marquette, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Providence, Xavier, Creighton (if McDermott returns), and Butler will all compete for an NCAA bid. Seton Hall will also be decent next year.

The concern will be if these teams all beat up on each other. As long as the teams play quality non-conference schedule, and do well, the should have at least five NCAA bids, plus a couple of NIT teams.
bigsnoop

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 am

Johnnies will be in the NCAA's next season and will be 1-3 in the league. They are going to be stacked next season.
redmen9194

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board