Expansion not currently on the table, bylaws almost complete

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Expansion not currently on the table, bylaws almost comp

Postby ChicagoX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 am

It's starting to appear that any schools hoping for a Big East invite in the next round of expansion (such as SLU, UD, UR or VCU) should plan on staying in their current conference for at least another 2 or 3 years. There is too much to do to get this conference going with the current 10 teams before any decisions on expansion will be made.
Last edited by ChicagoX on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoX

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 am

ChicagoX wrote:It's starting to appear that any schools hoping for a Big East invite in the next round of expansion (such as SLU, UD, UR or VCU) should plan on staying in their current conference for another 2 or 3 years. There is too much to do to get this conference going with the current 10 teams before any decisions on expansion will be made.

Or going somewhere else. I'd rather see SLU anywhere than the A-10 for that long.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am

ChicagoX wrote:It's starting to appear that any schools hoping for a Big East invite in the next round of expansion (such as SLU, UD, UR or VCU) should plan on staying in their current conference for another 2 or 3 years. There is too much to do to get this conference going with the current 10 teams before any decisions on expansion will be made.

"As for future possible members, Williams couldn’t definitively say whether the Big East would expand past ten members in the near future."

"Details are sparse at the moment, but a general sense of what the conference will look like is definitely starting to take shape"

Those two quotes from the article. The second being the last one... mean that right now nothing is appearing any way. I'm sure all the schools involved have a plan A and a plan B. But for on our end to say 1,2,3,108 years based on the limited information that we have been hearing would be a bit bold. The league has to take some sort of shape in the next 3 months, and as been acknowledged in this thread something has to be done regarding the non-revs whose league #'s fall short of the NCAA needed requirement or whose numbers need buffering in order to present as a legit conference. These decisions whether you care or not will have to be made. The fact is the conference with 10 teams is going to have to add teams associate or full, and it will have to do it in 3 months or the schools in those conference will be left scrambling looking for leagues... or left to compete as a sport independent (which in non-rev world means... congrats you just flushed a million down the toilet) So... what ever way you want to color it. Short term or long term the expansion scenarios will have to be addressed this summer. (whether the league lets us in on their plans is of no consequence as they don't have to).
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:01 pm

DumpsterFireA10 wrote:

Or going somewhere else. I'd rather see SLU anywhere than the A-10 for that long.

Smacks head ( you don't pay millions in exit fees, and abandon millions in ncaaa units to join the Southland Conference)
BillEsq

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:12 pm

BillEsq wrote:
DumpsterFireA10 wrote:

Smacks head ( you don't pay millions in exit fees, and abandon millions in ncaaa units to join the Southland Conference)

Agree, there is no where else for SLU to go. MVC is no better than the A-10 currently and probably worse.
Jet915

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Jet915 wrote:
DumpsterFireA10 wrote:

Agree, there is no where else for SLU to go. MVC is no better than the A-10 currently and probably worse.

I know it's not possible. That's what pisses me off about it. I hate the A-10 and everything about it. The money makes it a non-starter to leave the dumpster fire. Great move replacing Xavier/Butler/Temple/Charlotte with Davidson and George Mason. Very forward thinking. /sarcasm.
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby ChicagoX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:21 pm

BillEsq wrote:Smacks head ( you don't pay millions in exit fees, and abandon millions in ncaaa units to join the Southland Conference)

I couldn't agree with you more. In spite of geography concerns, the A10 is by far the best conference for SLU right now. With George Mason and what appears to be Davidson being added to the conference, it's still a solid group of schools that will be a multiple bid conference. McGlade has done a good job keeping the conference competitive after losing Xavier, Butler, Temple and Charlotte. Once UMass leaves to join a football conference, I would expect them to add one more school such as Siena.
ChicagoX

Postby yorost » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm

DumpsterFireA10 wrote:I know it's not possible. That's what pisses me off about it. I hate the A-10 and everything about it. The money makes it a non-starter to leave the dumpster fire. Great move replacing Xavier/Butler/Temple/Charlotte with Davidson and George Mason. Very forward thinking. /sarcasm.

Who would have been better picks than those two? Fine if you want to say nobody, but what conference just goes and replaces teams from the top?
yorost

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 pm

yorost wrote:
DumpsterFireA10 wrote:I know it's not possible. That's what pisses me off about it. I hate the A-10 and everything about it. The money makes it a non-starter to leave the dumpster fire. Great move replacing Xavier/Butler/Temple/Charlotte with Davidson and George Mason. Very forward thinking. /sarcasm.

Who would have been better picks than those two? Fine if you want to say nobody, but what conference just goes and replaces teams from the top?

It is nobody. As has been stated here, you don't add just because teams want in.

So the A-10 expands 2 to the East, which is their right. I think it's pretty obvious that I just dislike the A-10, right?
DumpsterFireA10

Postby yorost » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm

:lol: Yes, of course.

Yeah, I can understand adding nobody being preferable, but they expect to lose two more in the near future. Might not be good for you, but it is reasonable for the A10. If one of those two is St. Louis they have no reason to expand anywhere but the east coast.

Also, Davidson has a decent track record. Time will tell, but they could do alright in the A10.
yorost

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board