Expansion not currently on the table, bylaws almost complete

The home for Big East hoops

Postby yorost » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 pm

http://ncronline.org/news/people/depaul ... -part-plan

The addition of Butler, a private but nonreligious school, helped cool off any dreams of a faith-based league. Should the league expand further -- an option not currently on the table -- Holtschneider said the league wouldn't limit the search to Catholic schools exclusively, such as the much-rumored Saint Louis University and the University of Dayton in Ohio.

For now, the new Big East has turned its attention to more pressing tasks. The league bylaws could be completed by the end of the week, then attention can turn toward getting a commissioner in place by the summer. Add to that hiring a conference staff, locating its headquarters, and finalizing schedules and officiating.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Expansion not currently on the table, bylaws almost comp

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:07 pm

And Biondi f's it up again.

At least it only took him 3 weeks to hire the National Coach of the Year.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby Dew » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 pm

I am glad the focus is on all the millions of things they need to decide very quickly rather than spending precious time and energy on future additions. I think most of us feel the day will come for that but right now there are more pressing issues to address.
Dew

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Dew wrote:I am glad the focus is on all the millions of things they need to decide very quickly rather than spending precious time and energy on future additions. I think most of us feel the day will come for that but right now there are more pressing issues to address.

I think you're 100% right. There's a lot to do.

Will be a hell of a league.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 pm

The Big East has a lot to do.

EXPANSION IS NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE.

Does it need to be any clearer than that?
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby BillEsq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 pm

BillikensWin wrote:The Big East has a lot to do.

Consider this a warning SLAP--- the sky is not falling....

Put it this way expansion one way or another is one of the many things the BE has to do. If the BE is seriously planning on expanding at any point in the near future it will need to prepare for that as it sets up the league. Second even if the league stays at 10 teams it will need to expand by admitting in associate members to fill out all of its sports. Regardless of whether or not Slu gets in the BE has to address this in some way or another by the early summer so the fall sports teams can get their schedules ready.
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 pm

We have a decent league at this point. We can run for next season without too many hiccups. Fact is that adding other schools eventually will likely be a necessity. We have too many non-rev sports that are within a team or two of being a legit conference. That being said, of course they need to put the league together before adding more members. It's the smart thing to do. More teams are probably coming, just not right now.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 pm

BillEsq wrote:
BillikensWin wrote:The Big East has a lot to do.

Consider this a warning SLAP--- the sky is not falling....

Put it this way expansion one way or another is one of the many things the BE has to do. If the BE is seriously planning on expanding at any point in the near future it will need to prepare for that as it sets up the league. Second even if the league stays at 10 teams it will need to expand by admitting in associate members to fill out all of its sports. Regardless of whether or not Slu gets in the BE has to address this in some way or another by the early summer so the fall sports teams can get their schedules ready.

I didn't say it was. I just said it wasn't happening here.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby BillEsq » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:30 pm

marquette wrote:We have a decent league at this point. We can run for next season without too many hiccups. Fact is that adding other schools eventually will likely be a necessity. We have too many non-rev sports that are within a team or two of being a legit conference. That being said, of course they need to put the league together before adding more members. It's the smart thing to do. More teams are probably coming, just not right now.

Wise words my friend.... my oatmeal agrees 100% with your assessment. While i don't expect any major announcements right now... they will likely make some moves prior to the summer scheduling deadlines , but that will be a least a month or two away. Which in internet time is like two eternities, expect more rampant rumoring and random freakouts from the +2 hopefulls between now and then.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am

http://painttouches.com/2013/04/15/larr ... -big-east/

As for future possible members, Williams couldn’t definitively say whether the Big East would expand past ten members in the near future.

“We want to make sure we have the correct size. It’s impossible to put a timeline on it but we will take a close look at it,” Williams said. “It will be a data driven decision and I would expect that the deliberations on that will be ongoing as a matter of business in this world of conference realignment. I think we’ll be looking at that for some time, what the right size is.”
yorost

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board