Expansion not currently on the table, bylaws almost complete

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Expansion not currently on the table, bylaws almost comp

Postby BillikensWin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm

yorost wrote::lol: Yes, of course.

Yeah, I can understand adding nobody being preferable, but they expect to lose two more in the near future. Might not be good for you, but it is reasonable for the A10. If one of those two is St. Louis they have no reason to expand anywhere but the east coast.

Also, Davidson has a decent track record. Time will tell, but they could do alright in the A10.

There have been worse additions made to conferences in the past. Everybody's gotta play somewhere, so I guess it's OK until the rest of the Big East (if it happens) works itself out.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Personally while i'm far from on the Davidson bandwagon, I don't see anything wrong with the A-10 focusing on out east. They probably figure that they have lost St. Louis and Dayton. If Dayton stays they are not much of an outlier. They are trying to keep a conference with 6-10 top 100 teams and likely have done so... kudos to them... A-10 is likely going to remain the best of the rest for a while. Which in reality is their best case scenario, most likely goal, and a tough task in today's constantly changing alignments.

If anything as a Slu supporter I see these developments as positive as it shows that Slu is next one up. While the time frames will likely be debated, i would be shocked if the league isn't 12 teams in the next few years. Slu has nowhere else to go other than the Valley. And there is doubt on if the Valley teams would ever really take SLU. Slu in a average year is a top 100 team, which just about every year would give it a high seed in the Valley tournament which is played in Stl, SLU wins 90 percent of the games in St. Louis, St. Louis would be the inside pick to win the Valley tourney every year. Heck even in St. Louis's worst years it would be a sleeper pick due to the home court advantage. People talk about St. Louis's lack of desire to join the Valley, but there is also a lack of desire of the Valley to bring in a school like Slu where every tourney game is a home game.
BillEsq

Postby BillikensWin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

BillEsq wrote:Personally while i'm far from on the Davidson bandwagon, I don't see anything wrong with the A-10 focusing on out east. They probably figure that they have lost St. Louis and Dayton. If Dayton stays they are not much of an outlier. They are trying to keep a conference with 6-10 top 100 teams and likely have done so... kudos to them... A-10 is likely going to remain the best of the rest for a while. Which in reality is their best case scenario, most likely goal, and a tough task in today's constantly changing alignments.

If anything as a Slu supporter I see these developments as positive as it shows that Slu is next one up. While the time frames will likely be debated, i would be shocked if the league isn't 12 teams in the next few years. Slu has nowhere else to go other than the Valley. And there is doubt on if the Valley teams would ever really take SLU. Slu in a average year is a top 100 team, which just about every year would give it a high seed in the Valley tournament which is played in Stl, SLU wins 90 percent of the games in St. Louis, St. Louis would be the inside pick to win the Valley tourney every year. Heck even in St. Louis's worst years it would be a sleeper pick due to the home court advantage. People talk about St. Louis's lack of desire to join the Valley, but there is also a lack of desire of the Valley to bring in a school like Slu where every tourney game is a home game.

It's the biggest hot-button topic that has been beaten to death on Billikens.com: A-10 vs. MVC.
BillikensWin

Postby xu95 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

BillEsq wrote:
marquette wrote:We have a decent league at this point. We can run for next season without too many hiccups. Fact is that adding other schools eventually will likely be a necessity. We have too many non-rev sports that are within a team or two of being a legit conference. That being said, of course they need to put the league together before adding more members. It's the smart thing to do. More teams are probably coming, just not right now.

Wise words my friend.... my oatmeal agrees 100% with your assessment. While i don't expect any major announcements right now... they will likely make some moves prior to the summer scheduling deadlines , but that will be a least a month or two away. Which in internet time is like two eternities, expect more rampant rumoring and random freakouts from the +2 hopefulls between now and then.

You know I just love giving you some friendly jabs :D , but I am just going to say that this is more proof that 11-12 have not been determined yet.

Come to the dark side and admit that while 11-12 will eventually happen, they have no idea who those two schools are.

Start eating cereal. Your oatmeal has been letting you down. :mrgreen:
xu95

Postby BillikensWin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm

xu95 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
marquette wrote:We have a decent league at this point. We can run for next season without too many hiccups. Fact is that adding other schools eventually will likely be a necessity. We have too many non-rev sports that are within a team or two of being a legit conference. That being said, of course they need to put the league together before adding more members. It's the smart thing to do. More teams are probably coming, just not right now.

Wise words my friend.... my oatmeal agrees 100% with your assessment. While i don't expect any major announcements right now... they will likely make some moves prior to the summer scheduling deadlines , but that will be a least a month or two away. Which in internet time is like two eternities, expect more rampant rumoring and random freakouts from the +2 hopefulls between now and then.

You know I just love giving you some friendly jabs :D , but I am just going to say that this is more proof that 11-12 have not been determined yet.

Come to the dark side and admit that while 11-12 will eventually happen, they have no idea who those two schools are.

Never mind.
BillikensWin

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 pm

xu95 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:

If future teams were decided (or known), I think the Big East would have said it right away. No reason to "announce" teams that aren't in the league (and would be playing somewhere else). The home-and-home scenario is very important to the Big East this year, as it gets everybody into every arena. If there are expansion talks in the future, that's great. But I'll believe it when I see it.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby BillEsq » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:43 pm

LOL i will not turn to the dark side... the power of fiber is too strong...

Dump... i understand your concerns but likely the schools already have thought about the expansion. There is no reason to make there opinions public and announce anything now. While us peons might think that its important to announce everything right away... its just not that important for them.

While one can argue they haven't, I still don't think that the schools could have formed any serious business plan without plotting their expansion. As i have stated many times in the past there are many positives to expansion, filling out non revs leagues, keeping fox happy, better travel, more chances for ncaa units, more exposure, etc etc... simply hanging on 10 for a round robin does not make much sense. Also if the rumors Fox is going to pay them more money for 12 it would just about seal the deal for 12 at some point.

These schools are taking there time. They could have stated right away they were taking X, B, and Creighton but they waited, why... because other things need to happen first. There are i's to dot t's to cross and lawyers need to bill hours.... and be paid... its just the way the world works. Of course AD's are going to say everything is wonderful and no decisions have been made... its just what they say... Of course "reporters" and bloggers are going to make up news and rumors, that is what they are paid to do...

Personally, I just can't see why i should suddenly ignore all logic and assume that the C7 jumped off a couple hundred million dollar cliff without a well thought out business plan. At this point i see no reason to trust a few reporters and bloggers who make money on talking about nothing. Maybe its because i'm an attorney or maybe its because i'm under the influence of oats... but what i do know is... that by 2013 odds are that at least one of my schools will be in the BE and that my other will regardless be the reigning NCAA basketball CHAMPS ;)
BillEsq

Postby ljay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:49 pm

BillEsq wrote:Personally while i'm far from on the Davidson bandwagon, I don't see anything wrong with the A-10 focusing on out east. They probably figure that they have lost St. Louis and Dayton. If Dayton stays they are not much of an outlier. They are trying to keep a conference with 6-10 top 100 teams and likely have done so... kudos to them... A-10 is likely going to remain the best of the rest for a while. Which in reality is their best case scenario, most likely goal, and a tough task in today's constantly changing alignments.

You make a HUGE assumption that the Valley will not move the tournament to KC if STL joins that conference. There was a lot of talk about that before so if STL actually jumps there the call would get very loud. KC could handle it as it is a week before the Big 12 tourney.

STL hasn't supported that tournament all that much on the past. The vast majority of fans were from the schools with Creighton bringing the most. With us gone it will be very interesting to see the attendance next year. With Wichita State being much closer to KC and the likely flagship program in the conference there will be pressure for KC anyway...perhaps two year STL, two years KC or some such idea.
ljay

Postby BillEsq » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:53 pm

ljay wrote:

True they would probably try... but i believe there is a deal in place so Slu would have home court until then... and the Eastern Schools would not go for KC, so no grantee that it would leave St. Louis (MVC head quarters)....

You make a HUGE assumption that the Valley will not move the tournament to KC if STL joins that conference. There was a lot of talk about that before so if STL actually jumps there the call would get very loud. KC could handle it as it is a week before the Big 12 tourney.

STL hasn't supported that tournament all that much on the past. The vast majority of fans were from the schools with Creighton bringing the most. With us gone it will be very interesting to see the attendance next year. With Wichita State being much closer to KC and the likely flagship program in the conference there will be pressure for KC anyway...perhaps two year STL, two years KC or some such idea.
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board