ajerseyguy: new BE commissioner , internal power struggle?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ajerseyguy: new BE commissioner , internal power struggl

Postby mel ott » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:03 pm

This article is one guy's opinion. As is true in most cases, we really don't know if there is a major disagreement (maybe regarding an individual to lead) but it seems a very strong statement that Univ. in this league want to disavow ties to the Big East. Rumors are fun to get people excited, but I don't believe what he put out in the least. How many of these articles from "sources" have been bogus prior to this time? These guys need excitement and controversy to be heard and he seemed to get it. I know some of the comments prior to teams being added were bogus as well (ie Georgetown not wanting Creighton or agreeing to make a deal for someone else)- great stories, but not the real story. I do wish they would get this piece done-high priority to move things forward. Lastly, there are a lot of writers and coverage people that would love to divide the league and try to hurt its image for their own good. Let's not buy in to all of that.
mel ott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby classof29 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 am

The idea that it was Georgetown "leading the way" and Marquette was leading the opposition was completely false the last time it was floated, I have no doubt it is completely false once again.

I heard from someone who is close to the Providence administration (I don't know him personally, but he has always provided very good info) that the presidents had each taken various roles and they were all working in lock-step. If anyone watched the press conference on the new league this became evident.

There is no way that any internal struggle is as bad as what he is reporting.
Providence College
classof29

Postby ljay » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:02 am

Oh boy, more drivel from the guy who said UConn and Cincy were coming over with the C7 and hardly mentioned Creighton as a candidate until every other source on the Internet had already said it was pretty much a done deal.

Yes, let's give him more play on this board. :roll:
ljay

Postby yorost » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am

Misrepresenting him isn't ok just because you dislike his articles. He never said UConn and Cincy were joining, or even seriously considering the move. All he said were that there was some level of discussion about it within their athletic departments, which is, in all likelihood, true. That same article made it clear the UConn AD did not like the idea of splitting sports. The article went something like: some discussion regarding joining BE7 -> AD does not want to split sports but protecting basketball important -> here's jerseyguy's take on how it could work. The crap he takes on this is stupid. Criticize him fairly.
yorost

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm

yorost wrote:Misrepresenting him isn't ok just because you dislike his articles. He never said UConn and Cincy were joining, or even seriously considering the move. All he said were that there was some level of discussion about it within their athletic departments, which is, in all likelihood, true. That same article made it clear the UConn AD did not like the idea of splitting sports. The article went something like: some discussion regarding joining BE7 -> AD does not want to split sports but protecting basketball important -> here's jerseyguy's take on how it could work. The crap he takes on this is stupid. Criticize him fairly.

There were people from different sites calling ajerseyguy Mike Aresco's mouthpiece. That could be some of the contempt.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby ljay » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:31 pm

yorost wrote:Misrepresenting him isn't ok just because you dislike his articles. He never said UConn and Cincy were joining, or even seriously considering the move. All he said were that there was some level of discussion about it within their athletic departments, which is, in all likelihood, true. That same article made it clear the UConn AD did not like the idea of splitting sports. The article went something like: some discussion regarding joining BE7 -> AD does not want to split sports but protecting basketball important -> here's jerseyguy's take on how it could work. The crap he takes on this is stupid. Criticize him fairly.

Here's the story. I guess we can let everyone make up their own mind. Plenty of obviously speculation but plenty of insinuation that he knows what he's talking about. Personally, I think he is full of ca-ca.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4719
ljay

Postby yorost » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:44 pm

According to sources at Connecticut, some UConn officials were considering a plan which would keep the Huskies with the Catholic 7 ...

Others, including UConn Athletic director Ward Manuel, who was at the Big East meeting in Dallas, emphatically said that the Huskies’ intention was to keep all sports together in one league.

Before that is just header on the AAC, everything after is clearly labeled speculation...

If the Catholic 7 , plus UConn plan was put in place, schools as Butler, Xavier and Saint Louis would be the front runners in a very powerful basketball conference.

In order to do that, however,
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Jersey Guy good or bad... i'd still be shocked if they went out of their way to pay for the Big East name and then tried to separate themselves from the past. Heck why go through the trouble of the press conference having yourselves named the Big E when you don't plan on using it. As you all know on here i prefer things to be logical... and that just not logical.

I can see where there might be some divisions likely on the east coast/midwest basis. I also expect that there will always be some of this present. What i can't see is that these schools would decide to jump off the cliff together and then squabble over issues that really should have been decided months ago. I just can't imagine the divisions being so deep over fundamental questions concerning the conference.

I think when you look at the interviews with the AD's that have been posted you get a contrasting picture to any deep divisions. The AD's appear to be working on the details of setting up a conference. Likely ironing out commissioner duties and bylaws and the such. The big issues are likely already for the most part pre-decided. What they are hammering out now are the fluff from pages 2-234 of the agreements and contracts between the schools and the conference. No reason to announce this thing until everything is ready. (they have an early summer deadline for scheduling purposes)

I think in this world where we can log on and get up to the minute updates we get impatient with the reality that these things take time, and there are a lot of little issues that while not important to us are important to the success of the league overall. The AD's and presidents don't need to keep us on constant update. The few things we have learned is that the Big East is being ran pretty tight lipped for now. The schools havn't divulged much information in the past, and they do not seem to be changing from that philosophy now. As much as it kills me all we can do is wait and hope that the schools did their due diligence, planned much of this stuff out months ago, are just now working on finalizing various issues, and will announce enough information in time for schedules to be made for next year. You just have to have faith that these guys are just shooting from the hip while doing this.
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board