Creighton AD: No invite yet

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 am

Funny way of addressing this:

Bruce Rasmussen's daughter was quizzing her dad about Creighton's possible involvement with the seven Catholic basketball schools that are leaving the Big East Conference.

Why can't Creighton, Katy Rasmussen asked, just leave the Missouri Valley and hook up with the other schools?

The Creighton athletic director decided to answer her question in a way in which Katy, a high school junior, could relate.

“Let's go shopping for a prom dress,” Rasmussen told his daughter.

Her reply was why in the world would they do that?

“I haven't been invited to the prom yet,” she said.

Exactly, Rasmussen replied.

Contrary to what all of those “reliable sources” have been telling folks in Internet chat rooms and message boards the past three weeks, no one has invited Creighton to the prom quite yet.

That doesn't mean it won't happen. Given the unpredictability that has become the norm in the wild world of conference realignment, it might happen today.

But it hasn't happened yet, Rasmussen said.
Peter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Creighton AD: No invite yet

Postby xu95 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:51 pm

I hate to say this, but are all the people who work at Creighton idiots? Besides Butler's AD making one statement about doing what is best for their university, every other President and AD has stayed quiet. Quit bringing attention to yourself. It will make you look like a fool if you don't get invited.
xu95

Postby PorkTornado » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

xu95 wrote:I hate to say this, but are all the people who work at Creighton idiots? Besides Butler's AD making one statement about doing what is best for their university, every other President and AD has stayed quiet. Quit bringing attention to yourself. It will make you look like a fool if you don't get invited.

How is he an idiot by acknowledging that Creighton hasn't been invited to the new league?
PorkTornado

Postby TeeJay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

xu95 wrote:I hate to say this, but are all the people who work at Creighton idiots? Besides Butler's AD making one statement about doing what is best for their university, every other President and AD has stayed quiet. Quit bringing attention to yourself. It will make you look like a fool if you don't get invited.

That's a tad harsh, isn't it? Outside of one comment by Fr. Lannon discussed in another thread, where he said it was "premature" to comment on the C7, our administration has had zero comment on the subject. The full article from the local fish wrap can be found at the address below...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130109/B ... new-league
TeeJay

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't think any AD would say "yes, we got an invite" if the C7 haven't announced anything yet. Of course he's gonna say no, we haven't been invited yet.
Jet915

Postby ljay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Holy crap people, political negotiation is not well known here.

No one invites until they invite and then there is a presser the next day. Any overture right now would look like, "If VCU were to be invited......" (insert your team) or something similar. Response, "well, hypothetically speaking, if Xavier was extended an offer, then......" or other nonsense.

Presidents and AD's can say no offers, no acceptances. This is especially important later when the schools have to discuss the process; both those in and those left out.

That said, I do find it curious that Rass would say anything at all and then use this odd format to do so.
ljay

Postby xu95 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:58 pm

PorkTornado wrote:

How is he an idiot by acknowledging that Creighton hasn't been invited to the new league?

Why even talk about it? Just keep your trap shut.

It just seems to me like Creighton is going out of their way to stay relevant in all this.
xu95

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:07 pm

xu95 wrote:
PorkTornado wrote:

It just seems to me like Creighton is going out of their way to stay relevant in all this.

Not sure I would say that, prior to this, it was strictly no comment. Compared to Dayton and Butler, Creighton has been pretty quiet.
Jet915

Postby lukecu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

xu95 wrote:
PorkTornado wrote:

Let's not forget the Creighton is very very relevant in this whole thing. In fact, they deserve to get in before Dayton if it's only 10 teams. The only reason Dayton gets in ahead of Creighton because they have big brother Xavier pulling them in. Your just starting to sound like a rude, entitled, and cocky xavier fan. Lay off...it's not a big deal.
lukecu

Postby FlyByNight101 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Just because you haven't been invited to prom, doesn't mean that they guy hasn't already told you that he will ask you as soon as he gets away from the scugly chick that he's been dating for years. ;)
FlyByNight101

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board