Creighton AD: No invite yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Creighton AD: No invite yet

Postby Bluejay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 pm

xu95 wrote:You guys are totally missing the point, so lets just move on.

I actually want Creighton in the league. I am just not sure why they keep making sure they get in the news about it.

Maybe I have missed the reports, but besides the one press release by Butler's President, I haven't heard of Xavier, St. Louis, or Dayton saying anything in the press. I have heard of two reports, one by Creighton's President, and one by their AD now.

With all due respect, Xavier, St Louis and Dayton aren't having the kind of season that Creighton is. I'd suggest that when you are a top 10 team and have a first team all american that some national pundits have named mid season player of the year, you are going to have a harder time avoiding ducking the media and avoiding the question. This is even more true when , as AD, a large part of your job is fundraising.

I think you are reading way too much into the two comments made. Despite everyone's attempts to parse his speech, all the president really said was, "no comment".

As far as the AD's comments, you have to know the AD to understand. First of all, with all of the media attention the team and Doug McDermott are getting, he can't simply keep saying nothing. All his most recent statement said was that Creighton hasn't been offered a spot, which isn't exactly a state secret. The silly flowery story is just the way our AD talks. He tends to give a folksy little story which usually seems to disarm the questioner and bring the little Q&A session to a close. Reread what he said and the lengthy story can be summarized as follows: "Creighton has not been offered a spot." That's it. Nothing more.

I think the real issue you have is with all of the goofballs who are trying to parse speech to find some secret message or clue.
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yorost » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 am

My opinion of Creighton's AD has been nothing but positive in all of this. Seems candid and his comments make sense. No reason for people to be sour about it.
yorost

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 am

If anyone's ADs or Presidents should be embarrassed it's the C7!!! They sit in their ivory towers making a half-dozen schools squirm and dangle and argue for over a month?! :evil:
whiteandblue77

Postby mel ott » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 am

Just a little added information- not feeling defensive, but it helps others get to know our school a little better. Rassmussen is one of the most respected AD's in the country. He is usually behind the scenes, lets the coaches take the glory and is a great strategist and executes well- just as you would expect from an ex coach. Creighton retains top coaches a lot of times even if pay is better elsewhere. Two years ago, the No Carolina soccer coach who had just been to two straight final fours at No Car. called Rass when vacancy did become open because of the facilities and fan support of our program. The first two years he has taken CU to the Final Four. I saw an ESPN interview of Dana Altman (Creighton coach for 17 years) yesterday after Oregon beat Arizona State and they asked him about Creighton. He was very complimentary and stated that Rass was the best AD in the country. Rass has the respect of his coaches and he has provided great facilities for his programs. In spite of being a smaller school, we have arguably the best facilities in college for soccer, basketball, and baseball. Soccer was built on campus, basketball at the 18,000 Century Link Center, and baseball at TD Ameritrade park ( home of the NCAA College World Series). That bodes well in the long run for CU athletics, with the facilities, fan support ( soccer is top 5 and basketball top 10 ), and local interest there for the long term.
mel ott

Postby yorost » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:If anyone's ADs or Presidents should be embarrassed it's the C7!!! They sit in their ivory towers making a half-dozen schools squirm and dangle and argue for over a month?! :evil:

I think your expectations are a little high on them. How do we really know they're making most these schools squirm? Fans? Maybe. Schools? Doubt it. Until the exit from the Big East is cleared up and start getting things nailed down in structure and money, there just isn't anything to invite people to. I don't think any potential joining members want the BE7 to rush things just so they can be invited a little bit earlier. I hardly know anything about the process, but it's clear there are a ton of moving pieces to this puzzle. It's fine and all we can sit down and debate who we want, but the BE7 would be remiss to make it as simple as we do. The way I see it, once they can officially invite people the invitations will go out quickly.
yorost

Postby UDGutter2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:If anyone's ADs or Presidents should be embarrassed it's the C7!!! They sit in their ivory towers making a half-dozen schools squirm and dangle and argue for over a month?! :evil:

While the fans may be squirming, I believe there have been conversations, and that for the most part, invitations will be a formality, as the invited schools already know, imho.
UDGutter2

Postby butlerguy03 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I don't think Butler's squirming about the invite. They have, though, squirmed their way to the top 15 (again).
butlerguy03

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board